1.    #1  
    One persistent question that comes up whenever smartphone maker Palm Inc. is cited as an acquisition target is what a company with shrinking market share and weak R&D could offer a buyer. Despite such concerns, Palm, while never confirming that it was in talks with potential acquirers, has insisted that it has a lineup of newer, slicker, faster and sexier products in the works.

Or not. In a blistering review on Thursday...

Full Story
    Could it be a ploy to keep the wolves at bay? Maybe Ed & Hawk want to keep their independence they worked so hard to gain back. So THAT's why they do incremental improvements, so nobody will want to take them over! A Genius of a plan! So far it is working.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    Could it be a ploy to keep the wolves at bay? Maybe Ed & Hawk want to keep their independence they worked so hard to gain back. So THAT's why they do incremental improvements, so nobody will want to take them over! A Genius of a plan! So far it is working.
    Brilliant! For some reason it resonates with me as a modern day monty python esque plan....
    Ho hum...Gartner and The Washington Post have regularly dissed Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    One persistent question that comes up whenever smartphone maker Palm Inc. is cited as an acquisition target is what a company with shrinking market share and weak R&D could offer a buyer. Despite such concerns, Palm, while never confirming that it was in talks with potential acquirers, has insisted that it has a lineup of newer, slicker, faster and sexier products in the works.

Or not. In a blistering review on Thursday...

Full Story
    The Washington Post article makes a lot of valid points about Palm's lack of innovation, but it doesn't dispute that Palm has a "lineup of newer, slicker, faster and sexier products in the works." Bad blog.

I think Palm's future hinges on:
    1. Its transition to the Linux-based OS.
    2. Its secret, new business, to be revealed, or hinted at, next week. I've prepared myself to be disappointed.
    3. Its ability to innovate beyond the Treo brick.

As for PDA shipments, the fool.com article says:
    Though PDA shipments grew by 40% in the first quarter, Research In Motion (Nasdaq: RIMM) is now the leader, with 18.1% of the market. Mio Technology was second with 11.1%, Samsung third with 8.8%, Sharp fourth with 8.5%, and Nokia (NYSE: NOK) fifth with 6.2%.
    According to wirelessinfo.com, some blackberry phones are included in Gartner's PDA numbers, while Treos are excluded.

Also, Mio seems to primarily make gps devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    As for PDA shipments, the fool.com article says:
    According to wirelessinfo.com, some blackberry phones are included in Gartner's PDA numbers, while Treos are excluded.

Also, Mio seems to primarily make gps devices.
    Gartner numbers are confusing and meaningless. I cant squeeze out any valid interpretation from them. How is a Treo 750v a smartphone and the Samsung Blackjack a PDA? Its pure madness.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Gartner numbers are confusing and meaningless. I cant squeeze out any valid interpretation from them. How is a Treo 750v a smartphone and the Samsung Blackjack a PDA? Its pure madness.

Surur

I think it's because people with a blackjack are just people in need of a personal device ASSISTANCE, whereas people with a treo are just smart but wanting the latest gadet to smart about.

(puts on flame suit in antipication of people that owns a blackjack....)
    Lance
    http://www.aslmentor.com
    (my avatar means "I love you" in sign language.
    --------------------------
    PalmIII->Sidekick I-->Sidekick II -->Sidekick III and now Treo 750 which blows them all away.
    I have stated my personal opinion of Palm several times. With the launch of the Treo 600, it set a new standard for the world to match. It was innovative. It offered comparable or above board specs at the time. But since then they seem to be surviving on the loyalty of the customers that that release created. Nearly all releases since then has been underpar....especially when memory, screen resolution, and processor is concerned. For years they have refused to include or even offer support for many features that have been available for years...i.e. WiFi.

Each new release, I look one with anticipation that they might just actually step up to the plate and make a new step to lead the market with features and options that all other phones would have to live up to again. But each time I have been personally disappointed as the are under spec'ed and underwhelming. I would love to come back to the Treo fold. I will continue to hope, but with historical reality sitting my own expectations.