Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Which leads me to where I've ended up in my life politically. Raised a Barry Goldwater Republican I am forced to rationalize which party is the lesser of the evils (as Shop called it). Unfortunately I think you are wrong about middle America seeing through this crap - Republicans won lots of elections of late because of wedge issues. Period. But if one examines how well founded the Republicans are in morality one soon realizes they are no better off than the Dems - as we seem to agree in this thread.

So if I remove the polarizing wedge issues I am left with fiscal responsibility and on this front I am in the same camp as other fiscal conservatives - the GOP has lost their way and no longer offers any advantage over Dems with respect to fiscal responsibility.

So if I vote Democratic next election does that mean I want the welfare system expanded and abused? Of course not. It needs to be reformed. But when I look at the current welfare system vs. the current corporate welfare system I guess my Catholic upbringing leaves me wondering how I could possibly vote for a party that clearly caters to the rich and wealthy vs. one that caters to the unions and the poor even though I know the unions and welfare system can be improved.
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    ...But when I look at the current welfare system vs. the current corporate welfare system I guess my Catholic upbringing leaves me wondering how I could possibly vote for a party that clearly caters to the rich and wealthy vs. one that caters to the unions and the poor even though I know the unions and welfare system can be improved.
    The group to which you cater will grow. Within which constituency would you prefer growth occur?
    Unfortunately I think you are wrong about middle America seeing ...
    Where exactly does your disagreement about my view of middle America stand?

Where do you see middle America in regards to the extremes of today's political ideologies?
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    The group to which you cater will grow. Within which constituency would you prefer growth occur?
    Libertarians.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Libertarians.
    LOL. There you go. It sure seems like they are the closest thing to a viable third party in this country since crazy uncle Ross ran.
    LOL. There you go. It sure seems like they are the closest thing to a viable third party in this country since crazy uncle Ross ran.
    The bad thing is that they don't have a cult of personality drawing candidate. The closest would have probably been Harry Browne back in 2000.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123