Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    if we place Jerry dead center, are you more liberal or more conservative than he was.
    For anyone who does not think he was sufficiently conservative puhlease explain.
    Considering that he's dead, and (soon) in the ground I think it isn't right/left but overs/unders and that places everyone in the overs category.
    Quote Originally Posted by perditac View Post
    if we place Jerry dead center, are you more liberal or more conservative than he was.
    For anyone who does not think he was sufficiently conservative puhlease explain.
    If he was dead center I'd hate to see the person(s) to his right. I'd have to imagine that 90%+ of the country would be to the left of him using your standard.

BTW - I'd never wish any one dead over politics. But now that he is gone I'm betting he is in his own personal hell....or so I can only hope.
    I'm so far to the left of Jerry I'm right
    Are you really? In what specific areas are you so far to the left of him? Do you support family values? Do you support personal responsibility?

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by byronchurch View Post
    I'm so far to the left of Jerry I'm right
    Is this really necessary? Can't we afford the dead some respect in this country anymore?

Is fine to deeply disagree with someone's political ideas, but why come to hate the person for what they believe in?

If you allow yourselves to hate him so much for what you regard as his hateful stance towards any particular group, then you are no better than him...he won!
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    Is this really necessary? Can't we afford the dead some respect in this country anymore?

Is fine to deeply disagree with someone's political ideas, but why come to hate the person for what they believe in?

If you allow yourselves to hate him so much for what you regard as his hateful stance towards any particular group, then you are no better than him...he won!
    Good point. Although I never said I hated him....just that I hope he is enjoying a place he believed in and I think he belongs if it exist.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Can't we afford the dead some respect in this country anymore?
    No more respect than any other armed or social-cult terrorist. One less pock on the planet makes it a very good day unless all life is valued equally and no death is ever celebrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    No more respect than any other armed or social-cult terrorist. One less pock on the planet makes it a very good day unless all life is valued equally and no death is ever celebrated.
    I respectfully disagree with your position.

I failed to agree with many of Falwell's political positions, but he was certainly entitled to those as we are entitled to ours, I can't hate him for that.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo

I failed to agree with many of Falwell's political positions, but he was certainly entitled to those as we are entitled to ours, I can't hate him for that.
    Agreed, I cannot hate someone for their opinion. I can however, relish in the thought of him burning in his own personal hell for being such a judgemental, biggoted, hypoctical, and lying pig while spending his entire life imposing his will and attempting to cram his belief system down my throat via sleezy and immoral politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Are you really? In what specific areas are you so far to the left of him? Do you support family values? Do you support personal responsibility?

Ben
    Yes but my family includes gays muslims monkeys and Communists .

I think we are all In this together and to take personal responsibility is much easier for the endowed fortunate . It's just basic good sense that one should act responsibly but I believe in love over judgment
    Wow...I guess he won after all.

Wow...I guess he won after all.
    Well he was pretty instrumental in winning the GOP a historic "moral" majority so yes, he did win in life in some ways.

The question is - did he win in the afterlife or will he win on judgement day (to use his vernacular)?
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    he was a disgusting intolerant man. i could go on and on.
    morris stalk
  15.    #15  
    I am not sorry he's gone and i hope his legacy dies with him.
    I am surprised that he seems to be too conservative even for the most conservative people I know.
    I do however find that he was consistent... and that I respect.
    Quote Originally Posted by perditac View Post
    ...I am surprised that he seems to be too conservative even for the most conservative people I know...
    His brand of polarizing conservative thinking certainly bordered in bigoted fanatism, I don't think many conservatives completely alined to those.

The bigger point I was making is the distinction between political opponent versus enemy - perhaps Falwell is not the best example to illustrate this abstract point after all.

That's the problem in these sorts of discussions. There is no room for disagreement it seems. 'Either you're with us or against us' from both 'sides of the aisle'. We will make a snap judgement of what your position is, and anything else only serves to reinforce that. Common knowledge is our reference point. Disagree with what we 'know' at your peril.
    I don't hate him, but I'm certainly not sad about his death. I would say I'm defintely quite far to his left. I'm not sure how useful of a measure that is anyway, though. Don't these things happen in threes, though? Does that mean Robertson and Swaggart could be next? Or would it have to be a Muslim and a Jewish extremist?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Don't these things happen in threes, though? Does that mean Robertson and Swaggart could be next? Or would it have to be a Muslim and a Jewish extremist?
    Doesn't matter to me - I don't wish any of them dead. But just as I am doing now, I'll gleefully wonder just how well their fanaticism paid off for them in the afterlife.

Imposing one's belief system on another is bad. Holding one personally responsible when one cannot be personally responsible themselves is bad. Using "family values" as a platform while you impeach a sitting President and have your own secret extra-marital affair is bad. I could go on and on...I guess what bothers me the most about these fanatics are that most are hypocrites. Conversely I would think some could define Jesuit priests as extremist yet I don't see them on TV or lobbying congress to impose their views on others.
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Doesn't matter to me - I don't wish any of them dead.
    I don't wish any of them dead, but I could cope with silent.
    But just as I am doing now, I'll gleefully wonder just how well their fanaticism paid off for them in the afterlife.
    Personally, I've always thought that our actions and deeds here are all that we really know, and hence should be what we make count. Betting on everything being 'made just' in an afterlife is not my thing.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I don't wish any of them dead, but I could cope with silent.

Personally, I've always thought that our actions and deeds here are all that we really know, and hence should be what we make count. Betting on everything being 'made just' in an afterlife is not my thing.
    We're on the same page - I only meant the afterlife within his own belief system. I think I prefaced (or caveated) that in a post prior....but you get the gist. I'm agnostic about the whole heaven, hell, purgatory thing so would naturally agree with you that what matters is what we do here and now.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast