Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    It's war. Plain and simple.
    It was actually a 17 month investigation.

One which I am very happy took place and nabbed some whackos.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    The first day this story broke the term was used everywhere.

Got it. I'll admit being in a news vacuum this week, but the few stories I read never mentioned them being "terrorists." But I'll take your word on it, as I can see where that term would be thrown about like that.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    Just wait until the Patriot Act gets finished with them.
    Whether you're joking or not, you're probably right.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    Again....since "we are not at war" then attacking a military base in a time of peace is either terrorism and/or an act of war.
    Not agreeing that 'we are at war on terror' does not equate to 'we are not at war'. Terrorism falls under a category of tactical execution of warfare. The problem with the 'war on terror' concept is that you can't be at war with a tactic. This particular example would fall more under the category of guerrilla or insurgency tactics if it had been executed.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion View Post
    Whether you're joking or not, you're probably right.
    Pragmatic sarcasm, I suppose. No matter how innocent or guilty any of those involved may have been, their lives will likely be forever defined as 'terrorists'.
    Toby...the thing is that AQ is not a tactic. It and other terrorist groups are organized militant groups that have published declarations of war on us. Real and valid organizations with a hierarchy, chain of command, and fighters. The big difference is this is the first war we have fought against an enemy that does not have declared borders and a capital city. They attack us in our homeland and they attack us abroad. The continue to try to attack in our homeland and continue to try to attack us abroad. Just like a "traditional war". The War on Terror is against these terrorist organizations....and against those who support them with arms and/or finances. You can wage war on members of an organization. These orgs may use terrorism as a tactic, but that has be dealt with during our confrontation with these actual and very real organized militant units. Just as we would have to in a "traditional war". Just because they change or use certain tactics does not change the fact they have declared war on us with a mission statement to kill every civilian in our nation.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    When they surrender, do we win?
    Toby...the thing is that AQ is not a tactic.
    No, it's not. It's a very loose affiliation of pseudo-Islamic groups. I think that it's best been described as an alternate type of 'base', i.e. a data base. It's like MySpace.
    It and other terrorist groups are organized militant groups that have published declarations of war on us. [...]
    Then declare war on 'Terrorist Cell #386'. Declaring 'war on...' is a pretty meaningless and a petty political tactic.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Pragmatic sarcasm, I suppose. No matter how innocent or guilty any of those involved may have been, their lives will likely be forever defined as 'terrorists'.

So, less than a day after the arrest of six men that plotted to kill Americans in NJ, you claiming sympathy for these whackos because some have labled them terrorists. You just cant make this stuff up.

Yes, I guess we now live in a society where terrorists give ordinary whackos that are plotting to commit murder a bad name.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps View Post
    So, less than a day after the arrest of six men that plotted to kill Americans in NJ, you claiming sympathy for these whackos because some have labled them terrorists. You just cant make this stuff up.

Yes, I guess we now live in a society where terrorists give ordinary whackos that are plotting to commit murder a bad name.
    Get out your trusty torch and pitchfork ... We're gonna have a good ol' fashioned 'Merican lynchin'!

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Get out your trusty torch and pitchfork ... We're gonna have a good ol' fashioned 'Merican lynchin'!

or maybe we will jusy prosecute them to the fullist extent of the law, which is all I have seen anybody ask for. I guess if it was up to you, we should offer them a first class ticket out of our country after an apology for all the wrong doings that our country has commited that has driven these fine individuals to commit these acts.

I just love your posts backbeat, they are high on rhetoric, and low on facts.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    It was actually a 17 month investigation.

One which I am very happy took place and nabbed some whackos.
    From every observation, it appears this was done in the best, most exhaustive way possible.
    The topic is not whether it is wrong or completely undesired but rather is it a "terrorist" act. The same debate has gone on in Israel. If hezbolla attacks occupying Israeli soldiers is it a "terrorist" act? Or did one military attack another in a time of combat?

edited to add; I did not start this thread to defend the supposed plans of the accused. But when I heard the story and the reference of "terrorists" it made me think, is it terrorism or is it a military on military attack or somewhere in the middle.

My God does it matter whether it's terrorism or combat, I mean really
    You simply believe a group of people wants kill Americans for no reason. If they had grown up in a vacumn it would be the same way? Do you honestly believe the world is that simple or does it just help you digest the current events?

Have we ever resorted to killing thousands of innocent civilians (9/11) and then brag about it? These people are not part of the "human conditon that cooperates" (as you so eloquently put it). And yes, young terrorists are brought up exactly that way - kill Americans for no reason.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle View Post
    Have we ever resorted to killing thousands of innocent civilians (9/11) and then brag about it?
    Does urinating on an innocent Iraqi corpse's head count?

These people are not part of the "human conditon that cooperates" (as you so eloquently put it). And yes, young terrorists are brought up exactly that way - kill Americans for no reason.
    It should be clear by now with all the responses clarifying the intent of the OP that daThomas was interested in responses higher than purely visceral. I think we've all acknowledged that if such an act had been carried out, it would be egregious.
    Backbeat, the average soldier does no ******* on the head of anyone. It is discouraged. Nor do we as a society educate our children in the art of killing and the righteousness of it. Get a life. I have often wondered recently if there is anything good in American life from your view point.

Ben
    Da....do you consider us in a state of war on terror? This should be the first item defined in your posed question.
    No, I do not consider us to be in a war on terror (or more correctly terrorism).

We are engaged in a war (of sorts) with certain terrorists groups, most notably with al Qaeda.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Backbeat, the average soldier does no ******* on the head of anyone. It is discouraged. Nor do we as a society educate our children in the art of killing and the righteousness of it.
    Ironic, the news story cited comes as testimony from the trial of American soldiers involved in illegal conduct.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Backbeat, the average soldier does no ******* on the head of anyone.
    I suppose that Marine was just gifted?

It is discouraged.
    How is that training given?

Nor do we as a society educate our children in the art of killing and the righteousness of it.
    So, it's a war between societies?

Get a life.
    And you expect to be taken seriously?

I have often wondered recently if there is anything good in American life from your view point.
    I'm glad you're satisfied with meeting low expectations, but I believe in the nation that can challenge its citizens and its government to rise above mediocrity.
    It's refreshing to see the NeoCons take their mask off once in a while. It must get old always being in drag.
    Your relentless slander and deprication of others is rapidly eroding the credibility of your message, casting you rapidly into irrelevancy.

We may disagree with each other's point of view, but we exchange ideas in a respectful fashion without resorting to insults or mockery...why can't you?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast