1.    #1  
    If you looked at my avator, and my website, you would notice that I'm Deaf. I was just wondering how many of you out there has met or know of a Deaf person??

With that said, feel free to shoot questions you might have about Deafness, and I do mean, ask ANYTHING. Nothing is too taboo to ask.

Lance
    http://www.aslmentor.com
    (my avatar means "I love you" in sign language.
    --------------------------
    PalmIII->Sidekick I-->Sidekick II -->Sidekick III and now Treo 750 which blows them all away.
    I actually have known several throughout my life. Enough to take sign language classes. I use to be fairly good at it. But it has now been about 10 years since I moved and they have moved, that I am VERY rusty.
    Have come across several as part of my work, too busy (too lazy) to take sign language though I find it quite an intriguing form of communcation. My daughter (13 y) is learning sign language and is teaching me some.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    My best friend as a child was deaf as were two of her three brothers and her father. They were all able to read lips which made it much easier to communicate with them. I've always wanted to learn how to sign...I find it fascinating.
    Yeah, I have a question, how do you use the phone (any phone, not just the Treo)?

I have a deaf friend-colleague, and he uses a hearing-aid. I've never seen him answer the phone, nor make a call.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Yeah, I have a question, how do you use the phone (any phone, not just the Treo)?

I have a deaf friend-colleague, and he uses a hearing-aid. I've never seen him answer the phone, nor make a call.

Different ways: We use a TTY machine which enables us to make another call to a person that HAS a TTY. It relays what we type to eachother.

We also use the RELAY services which means I type what I want and it is voiced to the other person by an operator. (free service- thanks to the US government).

BUT most of the time, we IM eachother through our pagers. Some pagers even gives us the ability to make RELAY calls so I can call my hearing wife on my pager!!
    Lance
    PalmIII->Sidekick I-->Sidekick II -->Sidekick III and now Treo 750 which blows them all away.
    I havent been classified as deaf, but I wear in-the-ear hearing aids. In certain sound situations (background noise) I have difficulty hearing conversation.

Till I got the hearing aids, I did not know that the blinkers on my car made a noise when selected. I had situations where I would be talking to someone and they would give me a strange look. Only then did I realize that either my watch was beeping or my phone alarm had gone off.

My 27 year old niece stayed with me a while back (I am now 51) and she asked me to turn the TV down, first time in history that a young person asked the older one to turn it down.

As for Treos, I have a 750v and I lament the fact that its ringer is lower than the 650 I had. My friend has a Blackberry 8700 and its ring is LOUD. Other than that, I can use the phone without my hearing aids, and I can used a Bluetooth headset as well.
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
    Naftalim.....sometimes it is the sound file used for the ringer rather than an issue with the phone itself when ringer volume is concerned. I have created several LOUD ringtones and posted them in a thread. I have also included links to free software where you can increase the volume of nearly any ringtone and convert to whatever file format you need. I hope this may help:

Loud Ringtones!!!!!!
    I actually hired a deaf/mute a few companies ago. Seriously. The kid would carry a keyboard and a Palm and plop it down, then start typing a zillion words per minute! Then I'd reply with my highly-ineffective 2-finger typing technique. Poor guy.

In any event, he was one of the most productive software engineers I ever hired. Very sharp kid. Admittedly, at times it was frustrating to work with him given he was deaf and mute. But my staff and I all learned to overcome the communication limitations and overall I'd hire him again in a NY minute if I owned another company in the same space as that one.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    I actually hired a deaf/mute a few companies ago. Seriously. The kid would carry a keyboard and a Palm and plop it down, then start typing a zillion words per minute! Then I'd reply with my highly-ineffective 2-finger typing technique. Poor guy.

In any event, he was one of the most productive software engineers I ever hired. Very sharp kid. Admittedly, at times it was frustrating to work with him given he was deaf and mute. But my staff and I all learned to overcome the communication limitations and overall I'd hire him again in a NY minute if I owned another company in the same space as that one.

ROFL, can I ask you why you would think he was "deaf/mute" instead of "deaf and can't forumulate speech"-

Deaf people by all means are not mute. The defination of mute means "can not make noise"- We can grunt, scream, slur our speech if we tried, etc.
    Lance