Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 79
  1.    #1  
    Lot's of *****footing around anyway lately so let's get to the point here - if Christ were alive today, would he be a Republican? If so, what portions of the platform would he support today?
  2. #2  
    If you listened to mainstream America talk about Jesus in this country, you would think he was born in Kansas. Its all from peoples perspectives and idiologies with all the differences between the human race yet Christ already has a painted portrait of who he is and what he looks like to their liking whomever the race, culture, group may be when nobody really knows...its pitiful and it shows how small and stupid we really are and this is what causes people to not get along because the way they invision Christ thru their eyes as apposed to someone else or the unkown truth.
    Last edited by KStewart; 05/06/2007 at 04:54 PM.
    at&t iPhone3G
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Lot's of *****footing around anyway lately so let's get to the point here - if Christ were alive today, would he be a Republican? If so, what portions of the platform would he support today?
    I believe the only possible answer would be - neither a Republican nor a Democrat, just Jesus.

    I also believe that everyone is entitled to have his/her own believes (or lack thereof); while is constructive to exchange ideas and phylosophical viewpoints, we should always endeavor to respect each other's...prejudice begets bigotry.

    "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"
    Have a great one...Doc D.

    Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    I believe the only possible answer would be - neither a Republican nor a Democrat, just Jesus.

    I also believe that everyone is entitled to have his/her own believes (or lack thereof); while is constructive to exchange ideas and phylosophical viewpoints, we should always endeavor to respect each other's...prejudice begets bigotry.

    "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"
    Agreed.

    But would he want his beliefs legislatively imposed upon others to help them find their way?

    Would he support a secular government that uses his name and teachings as the basis for law?
  5. backbeat's Avatar
    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Would he support a secular government that uses his name and teachings as the basis for law?
    That depends. If Republicans had the opportunity to define him before he defined himself, such as the Jews who killed him did and for exactly what you propose as a possibility today, I believe he'd refuse any dealings with Republicans.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Agreed.

    But would he want his beliefs legislatively imposed upon others to help them find their way?

    Would he support a secular government that uses his name and teachings as the basis for law?
    I believe the Bible has answered your question as follows:

    "Then give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God" Mat 22:21

    I really believe we should leave this at that.
    Last edited by TreoNewt; 05/07/2007 at 01:11 AM.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

    Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    I believe the Bible has answered your question as follows:

    "Then give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God" (Mt. 22:21)

    I really believe we should leave this at that.
    Not sure how I could top that as the final word on the subject anyway.

    Nicely done.
  8. backbeat's Avatar
    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    if Christ were alive today, would he be a Republican?
    As to the basic question, and assuming his first short-lived life was already in the history books, Christ would be a hypocrite to be a Republican today. Although he was, and today would be, a liberal, I believe he'd be an Independent with some Libertarian leanings.
  9.    #9  
    He'd be a hypocrite to be a Dem as well. I think he would be apolitical as TreoNewt eludes to above. But I truly feel he'd have a special place reserved for those in politics that use his namesake for political gain. And I'm not so sure he'd be all that understanding of supposed Christians that have become intolerant zealots that willfully vote for politicians they know full well are hypocrites and gross sinners for the purposes of advancing his/her/their own agenda(s).
  10. #10  
    Jesus would be non-biased toward political parties. He would be pro-truth and absolutely against political-correctness. He offended every single religious and political establishment in the three years of his earthly ministry...and to such a degree that most wanted him dead.

    To answer the topic question...no.
    Crimson Treo 680 (given up for adoption)
    BlackBerry 9000 Bold - Main
    Palm Centro - Secondary
  11. #11  
    Yep, Jesus would not be associated with ANYpolitics.
    Matthew 18:36
    Jesus answered: "My kingdom is no part of this world. If my kingdom were part of this world, my attendants would have fought that I should not be delivered up to the Jews. But, as it is, my kingdom is not from this source."
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    Yep, Jesus would not be associated with ANYpolitics.
    Matthew 18:36
    Jesus answered: "My kingdom is no part of this world. If my kingdom were part of this world, my attendants would have fought that I should not be delivered up to the Jews. But, as it is, my kingdom is not from this source."
    What would he think of politicians that use his name for political gain? What if they aren't even really believers but rather make-believers using his name to further their politics?
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    What would he think of politicians that use his name for political gain? What if they aren't even really believers but rather make-believers using his name to further their politics?
    At the risk of sounding like a Theist (which I am not), the answer to your question lies again in the Bible when Jesus cast out the thieves and merchants from his temple on Mat 21:12-13.

    This may provide an insight that may answer your question.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

    Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  14. backbeat's Avatar
    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    He'd be a hypocrite to be a Dem as well.
    Jesus was anything but apolitical. He may have been operating on a higher plane, but he was still operating in the real world of Jewish/Roman rule. His views, and more importantly, his actions stood for interceding for those unable to care for themselves. There was nothing conservative about him, by present-day standards.And in the context of your original question, I was only trying to form an answer framed by organized political parties.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a Theist (which I am not), the answer to your question lies again in the Bible when Jesus cast out the thieves and merchants from his temple on Mat 21:12-13.

    This may provide an insight that may answer your question.
    You're just not willing to let me have some fun now are you?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    I was only trying to form an answer framed by organized political parties.
    As was I. We can agree to disagree on the apolitical part I guess. I just doubt that Jesus would have accepted any political appointments even if they were bestowed upon him by Ceaser himself. He was anti-establishment all the way and represented those that were outcast in the eyes of that establishment.

    BTW - Despite my agnostic views, I do believe Jesus was probably a very very good man that offered man-kind hope in the face of tyranny and life-lessons worth teaching another millennium.
  17. backbeat's Avatar
    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    As was I. We can agree to disagree on the apolitical part I guess. I just doubt that Jesus would have accepted any political appointments even if they were bestowed upon him by Ceaser himself. He was anti-establishment all the way and represented those that were outcast in the eyes of that establishment.
    I think we're seeing the same view, just from very slightly different angles. I see that by interjecting himself into the fray of his day's politics, both civil and religious, that he was, therefore, involved politically. To challenge church hierarchy and accepted rituals and practices, to challenge civil authority is being part of the system. Although he was anti-establishment, he was not pro-anarchy. His vision was best defined by his own actions toward others, I believe. I agree with you that Jesus would not have accepted any political appointment, then or now. I hadn't even considered that aspect.

    BTW - Despite my agnostic views, I do believe Jesus was probably a very very good man that offered man-kind hope in the face of tyranny and life-lessons worth teaching another millennium.
    Agreed, although for me, he has to wait in line with all the other gurus.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    BTW - Despite my agnostic views, I do believe Jesus was probably a very very good man that offered man-kind hope in the face of tyranny and life-lessons worth teaching another millennium.
    I totally agree with you on this, despite being an atheist myself. I truly believe the Jesus depicted in the Bible, for the most part, is a good role model to emulate; his teachings transcend the frameworks of religion and faith.

    It is man, not Jesus, that has used the Bible for less-than-noble quests, doing in his name most egregious deeds upon mankind.

    You're just not willing to let me have some fun now are you?
    I believe you bear no ill-will with this thread, however I am afraid this discussion may be used to attack personal and dear believes of others in this forum to no purpose; that will only serve to antagonize and will not further your cause.

    As I attempted to express above, spirited and honest debate of ideas is healthy, however mutual respect for each others believes needs to be upheld.
    Last edited by TreoNewt; 05/07/2007 at 01:20 AM.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

    Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    I think we're seeing the same view, just from very slightly different angles. I see that by interjecting himself into the fray of his day's politics, both civil and religious, that he was, therefore, involved politically. To challenge church hierarchy and accepted rituals and practices, to challenge civil authority is being part of the system. Although he was anti-establishment, he was not pro-anarchy. His vision was best defined by his own actions toward others, I believe. I agree with you that Jesus would not have accepted any political appointment, then or now. I hadn't even considered that aspect.
    I find myself much in agreement with the substance and spirit of your post.

    My view of Jesus would not define him as an "anti-establishment" but rather as one that worked above the establishment for the betterment of fellow men.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

    Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    I believe you bear no ill-will with this thread, however I am afraid this discussion may be used to attack personal and dear believes of others in this forum to no purpose; that will only serve to antagonize and will not further your cause.

    As I attempted to express above, spirited and honest debate of ideas is healthy, however mutual respect for each others believes needs to be upheld.
    I'm not so much interested in disproving anybody's belief system so much as I am interested in understanding how some think that Jesus would view the political parties - particularily the one that woos his followers fervently every election.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions