Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I do not have experience with the American health care system, and besides being expensive I have not heard anything (too) bad about it. I can only talk from a UK perspective on this.

Surur
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    ... refused to perform a perfectly legal, though not required (i.e. elective) procedure?
    Every doctor does not do every type of procedure. For example if a doctor does not do a procedure (it does not matter to me, it could be any type of elective procedure, from bowel bypass to nose job), for whatever reason, I would not try to force her or him to do one on me. Its just downright dangerous to have someone who does not have experience doing a surgical procedure, don't you know?
    This question appears to be lacking a frame with regard to capitation and insurance coverage limitations. I am in an HMO and certain procedures are outside the scope of my plan. For example, colorectal screening for patients at 50 is limited to sigmoidoscopy; standard colonoscopy is not offered unless abnormal results are found with the first procedure.
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    This question appears to be lacking a frame with regard to capitation and insurance coverage limitations. I am in an HMO and certain procedures are outside the scope of my plan. For example, colorectal screening for patients at 50 is limited to sigmoidoscopy; standard colonoscopy is not offered unless abnormal results are found with the first procedure.
    Are you offered a barium enema, if not your colon screening is not consistent with accepted standards of care and you should file a complaint against the HMO.

Regardless, the most effective and widely accepted colon cancer screening IS colonoscopy.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    ... refused to perform a perfectly legal, though not required (i.e. elective) procedure?
    Depends on the procedure, but most likely find another doctor.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    To assume that elective surgery is the equal of 'not required' [by your unstated standard], shows the height of arrogance and the void of knowledge in this area.
    Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    To assume that elective surgery is the equal of 'not required' [by your unstated standard], shows the height of arrogance and the void of knowledge in this area.

Elective by its very definition means, not required, chosen, optional etc. Your need to contradict is astounding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elective
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post

Elective by its very definition means, not required, chosen, optional etc. Your need to contradict is astounding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elective
    To medics elective means non-urgent, not not required.

Surur
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Surur
    Exactly, as in non-traumatic. And what is troubling is that I have no doubt that Shopharim is fully aware of the distinction which equates to gross negligence on his part.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    Exactly, as in non-traumatic. And what is troubling is that I have no doubt that Shopharim is fully aware of the distinction which equates to gross negligence on his part.
    At first, I didn't know if I should be honored by the initial assumption or offended at the resulting accusation.

Then I realized the source of both and was able to put each in proper perspective.
  12.    #32  

Surur
    a slightly different perspective
    An elective surgery is a planned, non-emergency surgical procedure. It may be either medically required (e.g., cataract surgery), or optional (e.g., breast augmentation or implant) surgery.

The defining feature is that its not urgent.

Surur
    The defining feature is that its not urgent.

Surur
    And in the cases of breast augmentation, cosmetic plastic surgery and penile inserts for erectile dysfunction*, not medically necessary.

I believe Shop has proven his original assertion to be correct.

* Although some of you may disagree on this one as not being necessary

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    At first, I didn't know if I should be honored by the initial assumption or offended at the resulting accusation.

Then I realized the source of both and was able to put each in proper perspective.
    Twist in the wind, if you so choose. However, the truth remains unchanged.
    ...and there will be some that will argue for the sake of arguement.

Truly wise men are not only defined by the breath of their knowledge, but by the deepness for their humility.

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    ...and there will be some that will argue for the sake of arguement.

Truly wise men are not only defined by the breath of their knowledge, but by the deepness for their humility.
    False arguments deserve to be set straight without apologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    And in the cases of breast augmentation, cosmetic plastic surgery and penile inserts for erectile dysfunction*, not medically necessary.

I believe Shop has proven his original assertion to be correct.
    I'm sure you would agree that the vast majority of surgeries are elective vs emergency, and of elective surgeries, the vast majority are mundane stuff like knee replacements, vs a much smaller percentage of cosmetic surgery.

Surur
    I'm sure you would agree that the vast majority of surgeries are elective vs emergency, and of elective surgeries, the vast majority are mundane stuff like knee replacements, vs a much smaller percentage of cosmetic surgery.

Surur
    I can agree with that generalization.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12