Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What are the prices in your area? Around the Portland, OR area I have seen it range from $3.25 to $3.85 a gallon.

Now this in is more in jest than with any seriousness......The last time gas was rising to these levels I heard several Dems state that it was because Bush is in charge, he is an oilman don't you know! I even heard some call for an investigation into the Admin for the $3 a gallon prices. Now that the Dems have control of both houses, they can do an investigation of the current spike in prices since they are in charge, but I haven't heard any call for any.

Seriously, do we really know why it is up so high. This article only touches around it:

Here comes $3 gas again, and it could get worse

WASHINGTON If the price at your local gas station isn't topping $3 already, it likely will soon.

--------------

And some said the nationwide record, not adjusted for inflation, of $3.069 will soon be broken. That record was set Sept. 5, 2005, after Hurricane Katrina, according to the Energy Department. Adjusted for inflation, the record high was in March 1981, when gasoline prices were $3.223 in today's dollars.

------------------

Wachovia economist Jason Schenker says prices could rise into the summer: "We're not even in the peak driving season yet. Prices could go sharply higher than where they are now."

Gasoline prices have been rising swiftly in response to strong demand, tight supplies, high oil prices and slowing imports. Extended closings at a number of refineries for maintenance and other issues, such as fires and power outages, have strained the supply-demand balance.

----------------

Economists say the sharp increases in gasoline prices are not having a big impact on the U.S. economy, according to a USA TODAY survey. Ninety-two percent of 50 economists surveyed April 20-25 said gas price increases were having a "minor impact" on the economy in the first half of the year.

Six percent said they were having a "major impact," and one economist said they were having no impact at all.

"The shock value of $3-a-gallon gasoline is over. We've seen that before," says Richard Moody, chief economist at Mission Residential in Austin. He notes that incomes have gone up in the past year, helping most drivers bear the added costs.

SOURCE: http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...t_N.htm?csp=15
    There are probably some very bright people who can tell us why oil prices are where they are. Some of them are active in the OT Forum.

But my guess would lean toward demographics and economic growth in Asia. Demand-driven prices. Second factor: political risk. Middle East. Nigeria. Venezuela.

Third factor: it's all George Bush's fault.

Fourth factor: the inevitable consequence of 70 years of a foolhardy oil policy -- 'Drain America First.'
  3.    #3  
    The first two are what I originally put in my OP and then wanted to wait to see what others said first.
    3.03 to 3.25

Higher demand expected in travel this summer (boosted by realization that one can purchase offsets instead of curb travel habits ).
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    2.91 to 3.15 Regular. We're not enabling our enemies, are we?

Regular is starting to hit $3 here. And my car requires premium so I'm paying a good bit more than that. Ugh...
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    $2.78 - $2.85 for regular.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    regular at about 3.30 in the Bay Area
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    2.74 9/10 (gotta get that 9/10 out of us) in pa

2.64 9/10 in NJ
    I paid 3.45 for regular this morning in Los Angeles.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
  11.    #11  

Gas costs families $1,000 more a year than in '01
    The nationwide average price of a gallon of regular gasoline was $3.103 Wednesday, up more than a penny from Tuesday and nearly 25 cents higher than a month ago, according to motorist club AAA. The price set a record, not adjusted for inflation, for the fourth consecutive day. The inflation-adjusted all-time high was set in March 1981 at $3.223 in today's dollars, according to the Energy Department.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...-hearing_N.htm
    Up here in WA the state, we range from around $3.27 to $3.89

Check out your prices here (and where it is cheapest):

We are currently right back to where we were just after Katrina hit....and it is not even Summer yet. Why? The FTC investigation at the time concluded that at that time due to the rerouting of oil, downed drills, damaged pipelines, etc... that the prices were legitimate. Here are the calls from both Dems & Reps that lead to a investigation last year:

I know that the world market has greatly increased it's demand, largely due to India and China. I know that threats/events in Middle East play a role. Both of which says a lot for our economic dependence on foreign control oil. My main question is, since now there is a few year history of increased prices, is it possible to take advantage of that and through the system inflate those prices as if business is normal? I know it is possible. It probably is not happening, but it is worth asking. How much influence to lobbies have during these investigations?

I actually wrote my rep asking what their perspective and plan of action is and haven't heard anything back yet. What is the going average ratio? One letter/email usually represents how many hundreds with the same concern that did not write and ask......I would encourage you to do the same.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05/17/2007 at 07:51 PM.
    Has anyone seen what they pay for gas in Europe? It can be about $75 for one car, and could even be higher now. I don't complain about US gas prices since I saw that in 1996.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Has anyone seen what they pay for gas in Europe? It can be about $75 for one car, and could even be higher now. I don't complain about US gas prices since I saw that in 1996.
    this isn't Europe therefore mute point, and with the profits OIL companies are making we have every right to complain
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Something like 65% of that is due to taxes from their govs (don't know the exact % but it is VERY surprisingly high). I lived in England for several years. Most people do not drive the distances with the frequency that we are often forced to over here.
    My wife and I both drive diesel cars. (Volkswagon Jetta's) We get 45-50 MPG consistantly.
    I don't like the fuel prices much either, but I feel better knowing that I'm gettting alot further on a gallon of the high priced stuff, than most others on the road with me!
    The wife drives about 100 miles a day to work and back, and the extra mileage she gets sure does add up over a years time!!!
    I only drive about 25 miles to work and back, I can go WEEKS between fill ups.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle View Post
    this isn't Europe therefore mute point, and with the profits OIL companies are making we have every right to complain
    I stand by what I said. We have it easy IMO. We also CHOOSE to drive too much and in huge cars. That's on us and we have to pay for it.

If we think the oil companies make too much money, why has there been a stall in developing and using alternative fuels? We allow them to make money by constantly draining oil resources. We refuse to drive less. We love our big cars which drink gas. How much car-pooling do we do? How many drive when they can easily bike or walk the distance? How many are too good for public transportation or commuter trains? They've got us over a barrel so to speak because we're too dependent on oil. Is that their fault or ours?

Who will stop driving or cut down on driving so the companies make less money? When you ask people, they say NO to giving up their cars!

I understand China is also putting the bite on the world's oil supply. So you have 2 countries with LOTS of people who use up oil reserves and won't cut down. Then you wonder why the oil companies are rolling dough? it's called supply and demand. Huge demand means the seller is in control. We allowed this to happen.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  17.    #17  
    Believe me, I am all for conservation in our daily lives, but the way our country is set up, it often times is not a choice of the individual beyond the type of car they drive. With the average family now a days having to have both parents work, it is not feasible to live next to both jobs.

For example I used to work 45 miles north of where we live and my wife worked 45 miles south of where we lived. We moved here because it was in the middle. There was no opportunity for another job for either of us closer. 10 years later, thanks to advancements in technology, I am now able to commute from my home office for my daily office responsibilities, but still have to drive 100s of miles to visit retail locations under my District Manager responsibilities. And it does not make since to remove the kids from school, move to a state with more than double the property tax, etc... to save on our gas bill.

When people often times have to work overtime or none standard hours, car pulling is not an option, though I support it when people have set office hours. Public transportation in the Portland area is here, but more often than not it is not very practical unless your home and work line up just right.

And with the layout of the country, i.e. the expanses of areas like Idaho, Montana, etc... there often times is no way around driving 100s of miles for personal or especially business needs....a challenge that those in the EU have but only at a fraction of the scale.

India is also not far behind China as well....both of which are projected to out distance the US in oil consumption (China now moved up to as soon as this year). There are other 3rd world countries that are starting to or planning to make a lot of jumps that will only raise that bar even higher.

As for developing alt fuels...I fully agree, this should have been done 20 years ago. And you ask why did we allow it be in control of the seller? I think lobbyists have a lot to do with it and why alt sources has not been developed yet or at least at the rate it should / could have.

But no matter what should have been done, we are here now. I think in times like this, there should be monitoring to ensure everything is on the up and up with supply and demand control of pricing.
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    I think it come's down to competition, what are our choices, if we could choose between fuel sources the prices would be cheaper
  19.    #19  
    I agree, but we have to have a choice to have competition. Right now the only choice I have is Regular, Mid Grade, or Premium.
    I live in Virginia Beach, VA and this morning I fueled up my '05 Nissan Titan at a local BJ's Wholesale club. Regular was $2.85 and premium was $3.05, which is what I used. 22 gallons later my bill was $67, which not so bad considering I tank up once every 14 days.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast