1.    #1  
    Avantgo has got to rank as one of the best loved PDA apps of all time. That said (like alot of other Net related stocks), it has lost 98% of its value in the past year. How much longer can these guys hold on?

I, for one, wouldn't actually be willing to pay for Avantgo data, but I can't help but think that content sites would be willing to "kick in" for the page views and content distribution.

I do not want to debate the merits of the application, which I really dig. I am, however, interested in what others think of Avantgo's business model and future.

Will Avantgo live to see 2002?
    Not unless they make v.4 for the Mac.
    I think that AvantGo is starting to provide some critical services to business clients, and will soon begin charging them. I'm betting that for joe consumer they'll have to ramp up the ads.

They are one of the dot-coms that actually provides a meaningful product/service, and I think they'll survive.
    I have worked with AvantGo for a while now and studied their business model (I am also an investor). What most people do not realize is that AvantGo began as an enterprise solution. The AvantGo Mobile Internet that you and I use was developed later. Take a look at their Website and follow the link to Enterprise. Ford, McKesson, Alcatel, BG Group, Con Edison and other large companies are using AvantGo's enterprise solution.

I do know that major sites on the AMI service are paying for some products. I think what you are seeing in terms of stock price is just a dip like everyone else. If I were scared for any of the wireless companies out there, I would fear for YadaYada (who has suspended business) and OmniSky. Even thought they are resellers, the take a hit on the hardware, make it back on the service game is much tougher than software.

The best thing to do is wait for their earning statements (AvantGo and OmniSky). I know that last quarter AvantGo predicted profitability two quaters earlier than previously projected. Let's all keep our fingers crossed.

PS - not to be picky, but siunce they develop and sell software solutions, it is unfair to call them a 'dot com.' I don't think anyone wants that stigma right now.
    Originally posted by WM5051
    PS - not to be picky, but siunce they develop and sell software solutions, it is unfair to call them a 'dot com.' I don't think anyone wants that stigma right now.
    Right, I thought of that right after I hit the "submit" button. Seems to me that nowadays "dot com"="failed business plan!"
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by WM5051
    I think what you are seeing in terms of stock price is just a dip like everyone else.
    A reduction in marketcap of 98% has more in common with the Wall Street experience of a dot bomb than an integrated software solution provider. But I do see your point, and as previously stated am hoping for the best for the company.

Any knowledge of their burn rate?