Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 141920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 480 of 675
  1. #461  
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicman247 View Post
    Why does the human body have cells in it that only have the purpose of carrying off dead cells?
    Which cells are these?

    Why does blood clot?
    Via a complex series of chemical reactions that ultimately cause non-soluble proteins to precipitate and trap some blood corpuscles forming a "plug" to prevent excessive blood loss and death.

    Why do you experience pleasure from sexual relations?
    Nerve conducted stimuli to certain parts of the brain seem responsible for this sensation but the mechanism is not completely understood yet.

    There are numerous things that happen every day that we take for granted, even though they seem like they have been designed.
    By who?

    I do not know the answer to your examples, but I would guess that in each of those instances there is a purpose that we do not yet comprehend.
    And that is the basis of science, we do not yet know but we continue to dig for the answers to these questions.
    Last edited by TreoNewt; 05/15/2007 at 02:44 PM.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

    Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  2. #462  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    On the other hand, the human body is a much better design than many of the computer applications that I use. Most of them evolved too.
    Talking about Palm again?
    Have a great one...Doc D.

    Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  3. #463  
    Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    Lacking action, it will always be just a dream. Making this great nation respond proactively is the greatest challenge of its history which has been rarely met. If there should ever be a national policy of Preemption, it should be here. Lacking this foresight, the nation will only respond reactively. Understanding this, what does your dream amount to?
    Just a dream reflecting what should be, but isn't...

    Good and bad people are found in every group, integrity and honesty are not defined by their beliefs (religious or political) but rather by their individual character; such generalizations only serve to deepen our divide.
    Last edited by TreoNewt; 05/16/2007 at 07:05 PM.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

    Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  4. #464  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    Talking about Palm again?
    Not what I had in mind, but now that you mention it.......
  5. backbeat's Avatar
    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    #465  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    Good and bad people are found in every group
    Not according to my detractors. There is only angelic good and demonic evil in their flat world.

    integrity and honesty are not defined by their believes (religious or political) but rather by their individual character
    Not according to my detractors. There is only angelic good and demonic evil in their flat world.

    such generalizations only serve to deepen our divide.
    What generalizations?
  6. #466  
    Backbeat, you are so wrong. Generalizations are what you are tossing out that are not supported by any of your "detractors," whoever they may be.

    Ben
  7. #467  
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicman247 View Post
    Why does the human body have cells in it that only have the purpose of carrying off dead cells?
    Because cells die and are replaced by new ones constantly.
    Why does blood clot?
    So that the bleeding from small wounds stops and one doesn't die from minor injuries.
    Why do you experience pleasure from sexual relations?
    Because the pleasure encourages sexual activity which leads to more numerous offspring. Higher numbers of offspring are one of the components of evolution.
    There are numerous things that happen every day that we take for granted, even though they seem like they have been designed.
    So?
    I do not know the answer to your examples, but I would guess that in each of those instances there is a purpose that we do not yet comprehend.
    I am sure from my answers you now know the purpose and comprehend. Wasn't that difficult, was it? Lucky scientists answered those questions long ago.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  8. #468  
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicman247 View Post
    I'm sure they fed off the food that Noah stored in the ginormous ark.
    Apparently you don't really know the bible. The ark wasn't "ginormous" according to the bible. It was "300 cubits long, 50 cubits wide and 30 cubits high". In feet, this is 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high, or about 140 meters long, 23 meters wide and 13.5 meters high. There were three decks.

    If you indeed believe you can store all animal species of the world in that space, you only prove your total ignorance about animal species (roughly 1,250,000 different animal species). And this is not even taking into account the food one would have to provide for all of them, such as seals for the polar bears, fish for the seals, etc.

    Besides, according to you, were there two of each species or seven? Because in Genesis 6 god tells Noah is to take two of each, but in Genesis 7 it is seven of each. So, how was it, in your view, two or seven?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  9. #469  
    Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    Not according to my detractors. There is only angelic good and demonic evil in their flat world.
    So your view here is there is no worthy theist in the world because they believe something different than you, is that right?.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

    Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  10. #470  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup View Post
    Apparently you don't really know the bible. The ark wasn't "ginormous" according to the bible. It was "300 cubits long, 50 cubits wide and 30 cubits high". In feet, this is 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high, or about 140 meters long, 23 meters wide and 13.5 meters high. There were three decks.

    If you indeed believe you can store all animal species of the world in that space, you only prove your total ignorance about animal species (roughly 1,250,000 different animal species). And this is not even taking into account the food one would have to provide for all of them, such as seals for the polar bears, fish for the seals, etc.

    Besides, according to you, were there two of each species or seven? Because in Genesis 6 god tells Noah is to take two of each, but in Genesis 7 it is seven of each. So, how was it, in your view, two or seven?
    I vote for seven! Three pairs and one homosexual.
  11. #471  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    So your view here is there is no worthy theist in the world because they believe something different than you, is that right?.
    They are numerous. They clearly believe. They strongly believe. Most of them are well intentioned. None of that makes the proposition any more likely. Most believe because their parents believed and most of their neighbors. Most even adhere to the same sect as their parents and neighbors. Very few Muslims in Saudi Arabia spontaneously convert to Catholicism.
  12. backbeat's Avatar
    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    #472  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    So your view here is there is no worthy theist in the world because they believe something different than you, is that right?.
    It makes me sad when an intelligent independent, such as yourself, mischaracterizes my statement(s) just for the purpose of being contrary.
  13. #473  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    They are numerous. They clearly believe. They strongly believe. Most of them are well intentioned. None of that makes the proposition any more likely. Most believe because their parents believed and most of their neighbors.
    I grew up in a strong Christian home. And no matter what, we each have to find out for ourselves what is true. That means wanting to find out and searching to learn for ourselves. No matter what it is, we can only depend on what someone else thinks or says for so long. My sister has chosen to not follow how she was raised, I made my own decision to follow a similar path of how I was raised. I too have had a time of wandering (and I make that statement as a understatement) as an young adult during this quest.

    What is interesting is that this holds true with just about every aspect of my belief system in my life, be it political, religious, social opinions, hobbies, etc....

    This is why I truly respect most everyone's opinion. I may not agree with them, but recognize that unless they are a thoughtless clone, then chances are there are reasons why they hold their own personal beliefs. These reasons are also why I like holding discussions on religion, politics, social issues, etc... because sometimes I can either relate, recognize valid points from an opposing view and learn from them, and have even adjusted my own point of view accordingly (as has happened even on here at TC).

    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Most even adhere to the same sect as their parents and neighbors. Very few Muslims in Saudi Arabia spontaneously convert to Catholicism.
    Your argument is so prejudice against a religious point of view. I wonder how many children from a staunch Atheist parents "spontaneously convert" to Christianity? Does this wrap them in the same fold?

    Just because someone is religious, a Dem, a Rep, an Atheist, conservative, or liberal....does not make them a drone.....

    But to address your specific example, maybe this has something to do with the lack of "spontaneous" conversions:

    Indonesia: Muslims call for death for Christians

    Christians fear death if they stay in Baghdad
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05/16/2007 at 11:54 AM.
  14. backbeat's Avatar
    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    #474  
    ^ Every major world religion has warred against others, without exception, shedding the blood of infidels. Why give a blind-eye pass to christianity when this phase will pass, as all others have, into the passages of history? If you bother to consider a response, please do so without playing the fear-card.
  15. #475  
    ^Don't feed this troll....
    Lance
    http://www.aslmentor.com
    (my avatar means "I love you" in sign language.
    --------------------------
    PalmIII->Sidekick I-->Sidekick II -->Sidekick III and now Treo 750 which blows them all away.
  16. backbeat's Avatar
    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    #476  
    Quote Originally Posted by aslmentor View Post
    ^Don't feed this troll....
    If the subject is too difficult to handle, and you must make unwarranted personal attacks as a diversion, kindly do so off-line. Thanks.

    Now ... back to my question ...
  17. #477  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    Your argument is so prejudice against a religious point of view. I wonder how many children from a staunch Atheist parents "spontaneously convert" to Christianity? Does this wrap them in the same fold?
    I'm sure this happens quite a lot, with the whole pressure of society against them. Does this invalidate your point?

    Surur
  18. #478  
    If a child raised in a christian home turns atheist ,
    he is damned to Hell for eternity.
    If a child raised by atheists turns Christian ,
    its probably just a phase
  19. #479  
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    I agree with you, Hobbes, but it seems to me we certainly don't castigate those who participate in these sorts of religion-driven evils than for some of the other motivations you mention.

    Forget atrocities for the moment, let's just consider the more subtle and sinister. For example, why is "godless" a perjorative? Aren't we supposed to respect each other's beliefs? Shouldn't we shoot down (using dialogue) any politician who disparages atheists in this manner? Why don't we?
    Richard Dawkin's raises the same question. It is not politically correct to disparage religion but it is PC to attack atheists.

    Of course, that begs the question of how and why PC is decided.
  20. #480  
    I guess PC is a relative term . Personally I'm getting board with all the fighting from both sides . People take there beliefs so seriously . I'll take a hungry playful open mind over a stuffed belching closed one any time . I still think we are all much more the same than different and I still see the garden pushing through the cracks in the side walk .

Posting Permissions