1.    #1  
    "LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Of the high-definition discs bought by consumers in the first quarter, 70% were in the Blu-ray Disc format and 30% were HD DVD, according to sales figures provided by trade publication Home Media Magazine.

Blu-ray took the lead in February, and its percentage of total sales accelerated to the point where it accounted for nearly three out of every four high-definition discs sold in March.

What's more, when given the choice, consumers are going with Blu-ray. Warner Home Video released "The Departed" the same day, February 13, in both formats. Between then and March 31, consumers bought 53,640 copies of the film on Blu-ray Disc and 31,590 on HD DVD, according to Home Media's market research, based on studio estimates and Nielsen VideoScan point-of-sale data."

Full Story
    Just wait til the Matrix Collection comes out on HD-DVD exclusively.
    I just joined the 21st century. . . . just replaced my 17 year old gear (VCR, 27 inch Panasonic TV) and PlayStation II (as the DVD player). . . . . with a 61 inch Samsung DLP HDTV, a Blu-Ray disc player and an upconverting to 1080i LG DVD/VCR combo unit with one touch transfer from tape to DVD for all my home movies of the girls (now 17 and 15).

Two words: stunned and awesome.

Anyway. . . Best Buy seems to be pushing the Blu-Ray players over the HD-DVD format, at least at the store I was at.

Blu-Ray movie discs are beyond words on a 1080p display.
    Last edited by gtwo; 04/23/2007 at 12:57 PM.
    Are you using the HDMI connection? If not, you're not getting 1080p.
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicman247 View Post
    Are you using the HDMI connection? If not, you're not getting 1080p.

Yes, both DVD players are using HDMI connections (the Samsung has 2 HDMI inputs) the HD Cable/ DVR box is just using a "Component 1" input. . . . not as good as HDMI but better than just coxial input . . . . .

Also, the Samsung has a video input for a PC connection. . . . . . Sims 2 does not look too bad on the big screen from the girl's laptops. . . . .
    Did you get the Slim or the regular?
    All the Samsung's (42" 56" & 61") I viewed were the same depth . . . . around 18 inches . . . . and lighter than the old 27" Panansonic!

Only drawback I see to the DLP units is the every 3 to 4 year (4,000 hours of use) bulb replacement . . . .
    Along with burn-in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicman247 View Post
    Along with burn-in.

I might not wait the 17 years . . . . next time. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    "LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Of the high-definition discs bought by consumers in the first quarter, 70% were in the Blu-ray Disc format and 30% were HD DVD, according to sales figures provided by trade publication Home Media Magazine.

Blu-ray took the lead in February, and its percentage of total sales accelerated to the point where it accounted for nearly three out of every four high-definition discs sold in March.

What's more, when given the choice, consumers are going with Blu-ray. Warner Home Video released "The Departed" the same day, February 13, in both formats. Between then and March 31, consumers bought 53,640 copies of the film on Blu-ray Disc and 31,590 on HD DVD, according to Home Media's market research, based on studio estimates and Nielsen VideoScan point-of-sale data."

Full Story
    This is like checking exit polls at 9:30 am. It's way too early to make the call.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    This is like checking exit polls at 9:30 am. It's way too early to make the call.
    Correct. And many times these figures are skewed. Some of the figures are only the top 10 titles of each format, some are the top 25. Some of the figures show how many units were shipped to stores and translate that into units purchased by the customers. It's going to take a couple of years until this whole format war decides a true victor.

Until then I am quite satisfied with watching the highest sold video disc format ever - DVD.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    true about the Matrix collection....BUT what if your kids want to watch Disney movies? More Disney movies along with other movie companies that are only exclusively Blu-Ray....speaking of which Spiderman series in Blu-Ray.
    I think your point on the Matrix collection is moot. There are movies out there that one format will have that the other won't. It's the number of companies that are supporting Blu-Ray as an exclusive. True, they might change if HD DVD gains ground, BUT the 6 month head start that Toshiba was offered before Blu-Ray was released was decimated by the PS3 launch.

AND lastly, higher capacity on Blu-Ray than DVD. Why would I choose to go with a floppy disk when I've got a CDR (relatively speaking)