Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    I was a loner and hated everyone in high school, I didn't shoot it up.
    But did you have access to a gun?
    If not, maybe we'll never know for sure what could have happened.

Look, when someone has a serious mental disorder which seriously impairs their thinking processes such as Schizophrenia or Bipolar Affective Disorder, then I'll frame their horrible behavior accordingly. But this guy was fully in control of his faculties and has NO EXCUSE.
    He was certified an "imminent danger" to himself and to others as a result of "mental illness."
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post

He was certified an "imminent danger" to himself and to others as a result of "mental illness."
    Of course he did, this is America
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    Most kids in this country don't have access to guns. Thankfully.
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    The question is - would Cho have had access to a gun in Japan?

Some interesting stats from our Democratic friends across the Pacific:

- Tokyo has 40 reported muggings a year; New York has 11,000.
    - The handgun murder rate is at least 200 times higher in America than Japan.
    - Japan's armed robbery rate is 1.4 per 100,000 inhabitants. The American rate is 220.9

Now to be fair, American can be proud that we actually rank at number 8 in the category of Murders with Firearms (per capita) by Country:

#1 South Africa: 0.719782 per 1,000 people
    #2 Colombia: 0.509801 per 1,000 people
    #3 Thailand: 0.312093 per 1,000 people
    #4 Zimbabwe: 0.0491736 per 1,000 people
    #5 Mexico: 0.0337938 per 1,000 people
    #6 Belarus: 0.0321359 per 1,000 people
    #7 Costa Rica: 0.0313745 per 1,000 people
    #8 United States: 0.0279271 per 1,000 people
    #9 Uruguay: 0.0245902 per 1,000 people
    #10 Lithuania: 0.0230748 per 1,000 people

As you can see we are in some very fine company with the "other" most civilized nations in the world.
    There's only one person responsible for that tragedy. The a-hole who did it.

Someone please note the exact date and time....DA and I are in 100% agreement on this.

Surely the end time approaches!
    I did.
    You're suggesting having access to a gun could have made him into a mass murderer (coyly, I admit, but there is apparently some degree of seriousness)?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    And if Cho wasn't allowed to purchase guns so easily, there would have been no mass attack to thwart.

You're suggesting that guns are the solution to a problem that only exists because of guns.
    Do you know what is involved in a legal gun transaction in Virgina?
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    The question is - would Cho have had access to a gun in Japan?
    A better question would be why would he have been in Japan?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I did.

You're suggesting having access to a gun could have made him into a mass murderer (coyly, I admit, but there is apparently some degree of seriousness)?
    I'm suggesting that not having a gun makes it much harder for a person with issues to become a mass murderer.

If you have a couple dozen people who are depressed and hate society, would you expect that they would be mass murderers? Probably not. The barriers to entry in the mass murder business are high.

Now how about if you give each of them a gun and ammunition? Well, then it's no longer so difficult to imagine a couple of them doing something dangerous.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever View Post
    I'm not sure what you're getting at.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever View Post
    And to further Sam's post, any reference to the requirements for gun ownership in VA must be presented in context to every other state's laws.
  13.    #73  
    LOL. Good come back.

You know what I meant though...Japan, Canada, the UK, etc. etc. all have vastly less gun-related violent crimes than the US because guns are simply not as readily available as they are in the US. Had the US had similar gun control and our guns-per-capita was as few as these countries he would not have had access to a gun, thus, the massacre would have not happened or if it did, to a much lesser degree.
    NO, he wasn't or he would have been involuntarily committed.

He is is what is known as a personality disorder which in my experience in Mental Health, translates to: a$$hole.

Now take the guy who shot up the Jewish Federation Building. People jumped up and down screaming hate crime etc. but that guy was truly mentally ill and not in touch with reality.

He is is what is known as a personality disorder which in my experience in Mental Health, translates to: a$$hole.

Now take the guy who shot up the Jewish Federation Building. People jumped up and down screaming hate crime etc. but that guy was truly mentally ill and not in touch with reality.
    Twice in the same thread

Sorry, he was certified as an "imminent danger" to himself, but not to others. I misread the article.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3052278
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    How do you suppose he would go on a rampage without guns? Most likely he would have just quietly committed suicide or maybe taken out one or two people with him.
    I'm just getting back to this. Similar to sxtg's statement, I believe this summary inappropriately equates the quantitative difference between 32 and 2 as being a qualitative difference. The problem is that a man murdered and committed suicide. The quantity of victims does not make the act any more or less reprehensible.

Yes the weapon of choice enabled a larger quantity. But, media hype of this being the "worst ever" notwithstanding, if Cho had been stopped after the first two, the devastation would be the same (just ask the families of the first two if they would somehow feel worse if their loved ones were the only ones).
  18.    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    Yes the weapon of choice enabled a larger quantity.
    Now we're getting somewhere...

But, media hype of this being the "worst ever" notwithstanding,
    Well this country love's it tabloid media - but that doesn't change the fact that this was the worst ever.

... if Cho had been stopped after the first two, the devastation would be the same (just ask the families of the first two if they would somehow feel worse if their loved ones were the only ones).
    Sorry Shop but I am not following your logic here. Are you saying that the devastation caused by the death of two people is the same as the death of thirty people? I think I get the gist of what you are saying....that all life is precious and the two families that lost their loved one's would feel no different if it was only their two killed versus another thirty killed. The problem is I fail to see where anyone is in anyway claiming that those two lives are less precious than the other thirty that were killed.

Back to your original statement -
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    Yes the weapon of choice enabled a larger quantity.
    I think we are nearing an agreement here. If Cho had not had access to guns he would not have been able to kill a "larger quantity" as you've stated above.
    There's only one person responsible for that tragedy. The a-hole who did it.

So So true.

On the subject of guns, true other industrial countries have a lower GUN crime rate than us. But if you compare overall crime rates like rape, burglary, robbery, and manslaughter, countries with stricter gun control laws DO NOT have better rates than the US. And one country with possibly the lowest crime rates worldwide, Switzerland, have almost no gun control laws.

Almost every study on crime rates around the world will conclude there is no direct relationship concerning gun control laws and crime rates. "Gun control" does not and never will equal "Crime control." And most experts will tell you probably the biggest factors to a country's crime rate has to do with it's education levels and economic welfare.

Why not take all that money going to gun control and pay our teachers a decent salary? Or buy more books? Bigger schools and larger classrooms?

Seriously people, doesn't history teach us about Prohibition? Prohibition sure did alot of good in lower crime rates. Seriously, they repealed it for a good reason. Alcohol abuse experts will tell ya education is the best weapon against crime.

Every major study about gun control and violence will tell you they are not related.

Lets spend our money on programs that actually work. Education anyone? Social Security anyone? Heck, lets start thanking our police officers and pay them a better salary than the crap we are paying them now. How about paying our soldiers a better wage for defending our country?

Seriously people. Gun control is a load of crap.
    I go away for awhile and when I come back I am in agreement with DaThomas? WTH??

and 1911 is too? And Toby is back.

What happened to this place?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast