Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    So then, you admit that this is possible even in our gun ridden society?
    Of course it's possible for people not to commit murder. 300 million people do that every day.

But there are things that can make it easier for people to commit murder. Handing them guns is one of them.
    You can't be serious

Do you think his clearly delusional thoughts were manifested while opening his shiny new ever so easy to aquire gun?
    There's no evidence here of delusion or psychosis. The guy was just an a-hole.
    You seem to be suggesting that Cho's delusional state is not the core problem and that without access to guns, his resulting behavior wouldn't have been nearly as horrific.
    No, his mental state was the core problem. He was depressed and paranoid. Maybe not "deluded." And yes, the result wouldn't have been as horrific without guns.

Which 30 deaths should we be outraged by as being senseless, or rather, which two families should accept thier loss as being acceptable?
    If Cho committed suicide and did not kill anyone else, that would be better than what happened, right? If he used an inferior weapon, such as a knife, and was disarmed by a bunch of students before he could do much harm, that would be better than what happened, right? Right?
  4.    #44  
    He was an a-hole that got his hands on a gun. A gun that made him feel powerful. A gun that allowed him to easily overpower his victims as they knew they were defenseless against a weapon of such destructive power. Had he went ballistic and only had a knife he would have been subdued by somebody (he was not a big guy by any stretch) and I think it is Sam's contention that the high number of casualties would have been far less (if any) had this wacko not gotten a hold of a gun. And I agree with Sam.

Now what everybody keeps dodging here is the fact that this same wacko in a country that has gun control probably would never been able to get a gun and as such, not commit such a horrific crime. Bottom line - I've yet to see one ounce of evidence that suggest that the US is anything but the most violent industrialized society on the planet - and easy access to guns is the main reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    No, his mental state was the core problem. He was depressed and paranoid. Maybe not "deluded." And yes, the result wouldn't have been as horrific without guns.
    There's no evidence of paranoia. The guy was a whiny, mean, self-absorbed, a-hole (i believe that's in the DSM-IV under axis 2 disorders).
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    There's no evidence of paranoia. The guy was a whiny, mean, self-absorbed, a-hole (i believe that's in the DSM-IV under axis 2 disorders).
    I just based my statement on what I saw in his video, where he blamed everyone else for his problems and everything he was about to do. But I'm no psychiatrist. However, there do seem to be several "experts" in the media who claim he was paranoid.

He was also reportedly diagnosed with autism as a child, so I don't think we can attribute it all just to his being a mean guy.
    I just based my statement on what I saw in his video, where he blamed everyone else for his problems and everything he was about to do. But I'm no psychiatrist. However, there do seem to be several "experts" in the media who claim he was paranoid.

He was also reportedly diagnosed with autism as a child, so I don't think we can attribute it all just to his being a mean guy.
    So he had Aspergers. There is no delusional or psychotic component associated with this. His little videos were whiny and blaming others.
    So he had Aspergers. There is no delusional or psychotic component associated with this.
    Thank you...I didn't want to get involved in this thread, but I was going to if someone didn't say something.
    We agree on the Ahole part, but claiming to represent the oppressed and dying a Martyr is a least a strong suggestion to delusion, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    He was an a-hole that got his hands on a gun. A gun that made him feel powerful. A gun that allowed him to easily overpower his victims as they knew they were defenseless against a weapon of such destructive power. Had he went ballistic and only had a knife he would have been subdued by somebody (he was not a big guy by any stretch) and I think it is Sam's contention that the high number of casualties would have been far less (if any) had this wacko not gotten a hold of a gun. And I agree with Sam.

Now what everybody keeps dodging here is the fact that this same wacko in a country that has gun control probably would never been able to get a gun and as such, not commit such a horrific crime. Bottom line - I've yet to see one ounce of evidence that suggest that the US is anything but the most violent industrialized society on the planet - and easy access to guns is the main reason.
    And in a money-less society there would be no theft. Is the money to blame or the criminal?

Maybe if the government had total control of the money there would be no reason to attemt stealing any??
    We agree on the Ahole part, but claiming to represent the oppressed and dying a Martyr is a least a strong suggestion to delusion, no?
    I believe it was more a rationalization than a delusional belief system.
    How do you suppose he would go on a rampage without guns?
    Explosives.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    Thank you...I didn't want to get involved in this thread, but I was going to if someone didn't say something.
    I wasn't implying that autism, or Aspergers, has a psychotic component, whatever that means. I was just saying that there's more to it than his being an a-hole. His disorder is likely the reason he is a loner and hates everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Explosives.
    Anything's possible. But would you argue that that's likely?
    Anything's possible. But would you argue that that's likely?
    There's really no way to know for sure. However, if someone feels powerless, trod upon, and detached from a society and is inclined towards violence, they're going to lash out with whatever tools they have available.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    I believe it was more a rationalization than a delusional belief system.
    I'll buy that

Damn it! Agreement with Da and I've been considering a WM treo

Where did I put my Uzi...
    Last edited by sxtg; 04/23/2007 at 08:32 PM.
    I wasn't implying that autism, or Aspergers, has a psychotic component, whatever that means. I was just saying that there's more to it than his being an a-hole. His disorder is likely the reason he is a loner and hates everyone.
    I was a loner and hated everyone in high school, I didn't shoot it up.

Look, when someone has a serious mental disorder which seriously impairs their thinking processes such as Schizophrenia or Bipolar Affective Disorder, then I'll frame their horrible behavior accordingly. But this guy was fully in control of his faculties and has NO EXCUSE.
    [...] I was just saying that there's more to it than his being an a-hole.
    Sure, but autism or aspergers probably aren't it. Consider that Einstein was a late talker as well, and a bit of an odd duck. He turned out alright.
    His disorder is likely the reason he is a loner and hates everyone.
    Being an ******* could easily have been his only disorder.
    If he had Autism, then he would be a loner by choice. He would have liked the fact that most people stayed away from him and left him in his own world. If he was picked on as a child or teenager, he wouldn't be able to "hate" people for it. It would have hurt him, but he would have projected it on to himself, not others.
    I was a loner and hated everyone in high school, I didn't shoot it up.

Look, when someone has a serious mental disorder which seriously impairs their thinking processes such as Schizophrenia or Bipolar Affective Disorder, then I'll frame their horrible behavior accordingly. But this guy was fully in control of his faculties and has NO EXCUSE.
    It obviously does not make a difference in Cho's case, and I have nothing but contempt for him. But in other cases we should be careful about offering incorrect psychiatric diagnoses. Incorrect psychiatric diagnoses thrown about haphazardly through speculation can be quite damaging and stigatizing. It does not matter whether it is a physician, a school counselor or a social worker saying it, the labels we place on people can stay with them on their records for a long time.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 04/23/2007 at 07:48 PM.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast