1.    #1  
    Sounded to me like he sounded like a bumbling *****. He for sure didnt have a good story to tell nor did he seem to be able to keep it straight.

He also seemed to walk right into some of the trap questions they asked.

Thoughts?
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    Sounded to me like he sounded like a bumbling *****. He for sure didnt have a good story to tell nor did he seem to be able to keep it straight.

He also seemed to walk right into some of the trap questions they asked.

Thoughts?
    Just another crony about to take a fall but will be protected by President Cheney.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I caught some of the hearings in NPR yesterday. Based on the flogging he is getting on both sides of the aisle, I would say he's cooked.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Just another crony about to take a fall but will be protected by President Cheney.
    And this crony had been a first consideration to hold a seat as Junior Justice of the United States Supreme Court?
    Quote Originally Posted by eodell View Post
    I caught some of the hearings in NPR yesterday. Based on the flogging he is getting on both sides of the aisle, I would say he's cooked.
    Don't count on it - Bush just gave him a "Brownie" earlier today.

5 million (missing) emails cannot be wrong. There is more to this story to be sure or he'd have been gone already.
    With Gonzales blatantly obstructing the congressional investigation and republicans openly calling for his resignation, I do not expect him to last too long, despite his white house "support" (keep in mind the Bush administration was admant about Rumsfeld keeping his job, while at the same time they were hiring his replacement).

I expect we will hear some tough sounding Hannity or O'Reilly spin on this, which will be put forth on this thread as well, but I do not see anything out there yet.
    http://www.foxnews.com/column_archive/0,2976,19,00.html

Eventually once they get their talking points in line, I predict the extreme right will praise Gonzales's lack of memory as a way of "standing up" to the "partisans" in defense of the war on terror, just like they praised Oliver North when he obstructed congressional inquiries in defense of Iran-Contra. We'll see.
    I like Arlen Specter, even though he is a Republican :-)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    My thoughts: that guy can't remember $hit. A truly pathetic display.
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxtreo View Post
    My thoughts: that guy can't remember $hit. A truly pathetic display.
    You guys are too nice - he remembers all too well.

I wish Dems would just come out and call him exactly what he is - a liar.
    What happened at the Justice Department points to Gonzales either being a liar, or just incompetent and not knowing what was going on. Either way, he shouldn't get AG and it's just another nail in the Administration's coffin. I don't know how they think they're going to save face.

Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Fortunately for everyone, Cheyney will never be president. Well, not unless Bush dies before the end of his term. His approval rating as even worse than Bush's. He comes off as pure evil, and his health problems don't help.
    Putting aside the fact that he may be lying or not...what are everyone's thoughts on whether the President should (or should not) hire and fire attorneys based on politics?

On the one hand, Presidents argue that to be effective, they should have the discretion to hire 'like' minded people for their staff and selected positions. On the other hand, when these positions require 'independent' duties, they are handcuffed by their allegiance to the President.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    And when the seriousness of it finally came to light, not many people would throw themselves on a political hand grenade of this magnitude just to save the rest of the squad but Gonzales is obviously one of them and I am sure that the Bush admin appreciates him for this.
    As a card-carrying member of the Texas Mafia, Gonzales has little choice. Though, I believe Bush should show that he has character/integrity by staying the course with Gonzales. Any other move, outside of Gonzales being brought up on charges, would be a purely political move on Bush's part.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho View Post
    Putting aside the fact that he may be lying or not...what are everyone's thoughts on whether the President should (or should not) hire and fire attorneys based on politics?

On the one hand, Presidents argue that to be effective, they should have the discretion to hire 'like' minded people for their staff and selected positions. On the other hand, when these positions require 'independent' duties, they are handcuffed by their allegiance to the President.
    Whether Gonzales lied is completely tied to the politics and cannot be left out. Call me cynical, but I think trusting that Gonzales could lie or act totally incompetent out of extreme political loyalty was precisely why Bush hired him. When the administration felt the need to use unprescedented and aggressive measures to root out "disloyal" fed attorneys, I believe Gonzales's extreme political loyalty helped him to carry out these plans and maybe blinded him from realizing what a serious political hand grenade he was making. And when the seriousness of it finally came to light, not many people would throw themselves on a political hand grenade of this magnitude just to save the rest of the squad but Gonzales is obviously one of them. I am sure that while the Bush admin regrets getting so aggressive with the fed attorneys, at least they appreciate Gonzales for taking the hit for this. The Bush administration will need to make Gonzales resign, in order to minimize the political fallout, but I am sure Gonzales will be rewarded later.

So to answer your question, if you try to push for extremes of political loyalty such as we have seen here, you are risking trouble. I think less politics and more objective analysis here could have saved a lot of problems for the Bush administration and the AG.
    "The Bush administration will need to make Gonzales resign...."
    It is possible they cannot make him resign because he knows too much. Again, 5 million missing emails cannot be wrong...

Oops...I just hit the delete key, went into my deleted items folder and right-clicked then deleted again, then had the IT department at the RNC delete them all off the server and any backups....5 millions times....accidentally I swear!
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    It is possible they cannot make him resign because he knows too much. Again, 5 million missing emails cannot be wrong...

Oops...I just hit the delete key, went into my deleted items folder and right-clicked then deleted again, then had the IT department at the RNC delete them all off the server and any backups....5 millions times....accidentally I swear!
    Not to mention, the level 3 Norton security wipe of those files that you "forgot" about too!!!
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Wow, how quickly we forget the Sandy Berger fiasco.

No, really, I accidentally stuffed classified documents in my pants, and then accidentally shredded them!
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicman247 View Post
    Wow, how quickly we forget the Sandy Berger fiasco.

No, really, I accidentally stuffed classified documents in my pants, and then accidentally shredded them!
    Is anyone here defending Sandy? I'm certainly not. Do you have a point or is this just another "but they did it too" comment because you have no better defense for the honorable AG?

But for what it's worth, until we know what is in those millions of missing emails it seems impossible to judge if the crimes are in any way equivalent or remotely comparable.