1.    #1  
    Ok. So it's time for Dieter to learn something other than Win and Dos. Only every time he tries to find a starter book on programming, it's either too involved and I'm too stupid, or it's too stupid and I need more.

I want to learn some basic programming so I can write some apps for the palmOS. I also want to get some Unix so I don't feel like a computer moron anymore.

Can anyone suggest some good places to start?

Thanks in advance...
    Which books did you see and think were too easy, or too hard?

I sat in the local bookstore for a while and finally went home with the PalmOS Programming Bible by Lonnon Foster. No I haven't actually written anything yet, unfortunately. The book still seems good overall, but I have some C programming experience. You can browse through amazon.com or other online book sellers that include user reviews.

I don't think you need to know Unix to be cool. We like you just the way you are. However, if you want to do some Linux stuff, there's a book called A Practical Guide to Linux by Mark Sobell that's pretty good. He has some different versions of the book for other Unix variants too.
    A good beginning UNIX book is UNIX Made Easy by John Muster. The 2nd edition is available now but I understand there will be 3rd edition out soon, so you might want to wait a bit.
    Ted Duffield
  4.    #4  
    thanks...

I'll probably pick both of those up.