1.    #1  
    Pretty funny....but not too surprising stuff. Stewart/Colbert 2008!

Pew Survey Finds Most Knowledgeable Americans Watch 'Daily Show' and 'Colbert'-- and Visit Newspaper Sites

By E&P Staff

Published: April 15, 2007 11:30 PM ET

NEW YORK A new survey of 1,502 adults released Sunday by Pew Research Center for the People & the Press found that despite the mass appeal of the Internet and cable news since a previous poll in 1989, Americans' knowledge of national affairs has slipped a little. For example, only 69% know that **** Cheney is vice president, while 74% could identify Dan Quayle in that post in 1989.

Other details are equally eye-opening. Pew judged the levels of knowledgeability (correct answers) among those surveyed and found that those who scored the highest were regular watchers of Comedy Central's The Daily Show and Colbert Report. They tied with regular readers of major newspapers in the top spot -- with 54% of them getting 2 out of 3 questions correct. Watchers of the Lehrer News Hour on PBS followed just behind.

Virtually bringing up the rear were regular watchers of Fox News. Only 1 in 3 could answer 2 out of 3 questions correctly. Fox topped only network morning show viewers.

Told that Shia was one group of Muslims struggling in Iraq, only 32% of the total sample could name "Sunni" as the other key group.

The percentage of those who knew their state's governor dropped to 2 in 3. Almost half know that Rep. Nancy Pelosi is Speaker of the House and 2 in 3 know that Condi Rice is secretary of state. But just 29% can identify Scooter Libby, 21% know Robert Gates and 15% can name Sen. Harry Reid.

But nearly 9 in 10 knew about President Bush's troop escalation in Iraq.

Men scored higher than women, and older Americans did better than younger, on average. Democrats and Republicans were about equally represented in the most knowledgeable group but there were more Republicans in the least aware group.
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    Wow 1,502 adults out of 217 million, I wonder who were the last 2 questioned, and how that skews the results that they want you to believe!
    Just shows how dumbed down fox news viewers are . I'm sure the comedy channel fans aren't to far ahead though .
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm97 View Post
    Wow 1,502 adults out of 217 million, I wonder who were the last 2 questioned, and how that skews the results that they want you to believe!
    Polls are notoriously inaccurate so this is nothing to get too worked up over. I do find it humorous though....but only out of love for my favorite, Fox News.

Here is a link to the survey and how it was carried out: http://pewresearch.org/newsiq/
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by byronchurch View Post
    Just shows how dumbed down fox news viewers are . I'm sure the comedy channel fans aren't to far ahead though .
    Hey! I love Jon Stewart! He's halarious...
    I love him to but it's still 70% junk-food . Which 30% + value puts it in the top 10% ! I think he rates a B&J's flavor .
    I love him to but it's still 70% junk-food . Which 30% + value puts it in the top 10% ! I think he rates a B&J's flavor .
    Okay, I think that was a semi-compliment about him so I forgive you for the Comedy channel dig...

And, unless they rename Chubby Hubby for him, I wouldn't eat his flavor...
    Daily Show & Colbert Report Viewers more Knowledgeable than Fox News viewers
    I actually watch all three.

The survey isn't shocking. The viewers of FoxNews, local news, and the morning shows all are close to the national average, which makes sense given their audience sizes. Viewers of some of the other shows tend to be more educated than average.

It's notable that the Editor & Publisher article implies that FoxNews viewers scored second lowest, when in fact they scored third lowest, based on the answering of the three questions. And ThinkProgress falsely claimed in a headline that FoxNews viewers ranked lowest. Typical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    Okay, I think that was a semi-compliment about him so I forgive you for the Comedy channel dig...

And, unless they rename Chubby Hubby for him, I wouldn't eat his flavor...
    OUCH!
    I,m eating Willie's Peach Cobbler right now . Man that sounds GAY ! Not that there's anything wrong with it .
    OUCH!
    I,m eating Willie's Peach Cobbler right now . Man that sounds GAY ! Not that there's anything wrong with it .
    LOL...that actually sounds really yummy. I'm eating Twizzlers...
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Polls are notoriously inaccurate
    That statement is notoriously inaccurate.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    That statement is notoriously inaccurate.
    Ok so that was an understatement. Polls are notoriously inaccurate when not conducted properly and the results are misread and reported upon inaccurately by the media.

I was trying to be diplomatic...but frankly in the context of this discussion (politics) I would think my assessment of polls is pretty much spot on.