Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    Which of my posts are you making reference?
    All of your posts imply that the bible is the some indivisible word of God and that is what the book implies . Are you implying that your not endorsing the heaven or hell ending ?

People like me?
    Yes people like you . You are intelligent , well educated , articulate , and you are an excellent debater , but you are a soldier for a religion . A salesman of a closed loop belief system based on fear and Patriotism. Religion is a dangerous drug that few are able to kick
    Aren't those quips part of the "crap"?
    No they are healthy insights that have been usurped buy crap . I wouldn't throw out the Jesus with the Bible water !

It would seem that any wisdom in them resulted from the people
    Yes but truth is not stagnant . the truth that frees us now can enslave us later . It's not up for grabs . Our beliefs are what separate us from the truth . Be like children . , The rich man through the eye of the needle , There is truth to be found in these words ..
    Last edited by byronchurch; 04/07/2007 at 02:48 AM.
    OK. So, what I'm concluding about your posts is that something is wrong with me because I believe the Bible.

Is that the appropriate interpretation of your comments?

In responding, realize that that will bring us back to my overall question. On what basis do we determine what is right and wrong?
    On what basis are we able to determine that people who hold certain beliefs must be 'angry, bitter, and broken'?
    Why is it that your view of the world is more valid than mine?
    Who determines what portion of aged literature is truth versus crap?

Given the strongly worded determinations about the caricature of me and "people like me," it would seem you are working from some authoritative source. I'm just interested in knowing what is.
    There is as much science backing you as him. No one has ever explained WHY nature saw fit to make things work exactly as they do to the degree that they do. Look at reproduction and replication. Look at the differences between male and female. Why did nature do so. Did nature decide that sexual reproduction was necessary over replication? Why did nature suddenly ... so much so that they damn everyone who does not accept their "science."

My decision to believe in the Bible, accept it and to also believe in a limited degree the "theory" of evolution - they do not collide. Did I come from a monkey? Maybe, but with the hand of a supreme being there, bunches of things can be explained. Without that hand, bunches of things cannot be explained. The acceptance of God goes a long way in explaining things that science cannot explain, that atheism cannot explain.

I frankly have no interest in damning the scientific community. Let them explain all they want to - there is always someone there in that same community who does not agree and has an equal amount of evidence to support...

Ben
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    On what basis do we determine what is right and wrong?
    Man's best Creation, Universal Law.

Who determines what portion of aged literature is truth versus crap?
    Historically, old men with power/control agendas. The same old men who parsed and cherry-picked the texts to be included in your 'holy' collection of tales and fables.
  5.    #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    There is as much science backing you as him. No one has ever explained WHY nature saw fit to make things work exactly as they do to the degree that they do. Look at reproduction and replication. Look at the differences between male and female. Why did nature do so. Did nature decide that sexual reproduction was necessary over replication? Why did nature suddenly ... so much so that they damn everyone who does not accept their "science."
    To quote Richard Dawkins (interviewed in the OP): Nature does not owe us any explanations.

That's the way things are. We observe nature and understand how (not Why) it behaves systematically through Science.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Saying "God did it" is no explanation at all.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    There is as much science backing you as him. No one has ever explained WHY nature saw fit to make things work exactly as they do to the degree that they do.
    As if claiming there is a god made it any better. Do you know why your god made things the way they are? Why does he make kids die from starvation? Why did he make the world evil as it is? Adding god or gods to the equation doesn't tell you anything about why.
    Look at reproduction and replication. Look at the differences between male and female. Why did nature do so. Did nature decide that sexual reproduction was necessary over replication?
    Those are questions which have been answered by science long ago. Interesting stuff, I'd tell you how and why it is so if I had the time.
    The acceptance of God goes a long way in explaining things that science cannot explain, that atheism cannot explain.
    Acceptance of god does not explain anything. Religion just posits things without explaining anything.
    I frankly have no interest in damning the scientific community. Let them explain all they want to - there is always someone there in that same community who does not agree and has an equal amount of evidence to support...
    Always someone with an equal amount of evidence? Not true.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Amen.
    These examples highlight the failings of the interpreters, not of the text.
    A text cannot "do" anything. The meaning of a text is ALWAYS the interpretation of the people who read it. Some people read the Bible and conclude it is ok to burn others at the stake, some people read the same Bible and disagree.

How come you know better than them what the real interpretation is? Are you more intelligent than them? How can I tell you interpret correctly and they don't?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    According to the text, that time [God reappearing] is drawing close.
    Many Christians have been made to believe that for almost 2000 years. False alarm for a long time.
    Last edited by clulup; 04/06/2007 at 01:50 PM.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Try telling that to an insurance company.
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup View Post
    A text cannot "do" anything. The meaning of a text is ALWAYS the interpretation of the people who read it. Some people read the Bible and conclude it is ok to burn others at the stake, some people read the same Bible and disagree.

How come you know better than them what the real interpretation is? Are you more intelligent than them? How can I tell you interpret correctly and they don't?
    In my reading, I don't recall a direction to burn others at the stake. If that direction is missing, as I believe it is, the only conclusion I can draw is that responsiblty lies with the interpreter(s), not the text.

-------------------

One other thing. The best way to evaluate differing interpretations is to read the text for yourself and make your own determinations.

As your signature so aptly points out, reality is not in any way shaped by what is believed. What is, is. So, if I'm inaccurate in my assessment, that will be borne out. If I'm accurate in my assessment that will be borne out.

I know full well I have staked my life (and afterlife) on my interpretation. And, yes, I am comfortable in my theology.
    Last edited by shopharim; 04/06/2007 at 01:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    Man's best Creation, Universal Law....
    Is this universal law binding?
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup View Post
    Many Christians have been made to believe that for almost 2000 years. False alarm for a long time.
    Indeed. So much so, that many who call themselves christians no longer expect such. Ironically, the descriptions of the circumstances anticipated point out such a falling away.

But, that's not what this thread is about.
    In my reading, I don't recall a direction to burn others at the stake. If that direction is missing, as I believe it is, the only conclusion I can draw is that responsiblty lies with the interpreter(s), not the text.

OK, we all know they prefer stoning in the middle east, as stones are readily available, while firewood is not. Of course in USA and Europe this restriction does not apply, but shame on them for diverting from the text of the bible for convenience sake. They should really have quarried some stone after all.

Of couirse for some special infractions, a lick of fire is really the only thing.

Leviticus 20:14 And if a man take a wife and her mother, it [is] wickedness: they shall be burnt with fire, both he and they; that there be no wickedness among you.
    or

Leviticus 21:9 And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the *****, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire.
    Surur
    Last edited by surur; 04/06/2007 at 02:14 PM.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Is this universal law binding?
    Moreso than the Code of Hammurabi or your little tin god's usurped top 10 list.
    Moreso than the Code of Hammurabi or your little tin god's usurped top 10 list.
    For the sake of discussion, let's agree that the Code of Hammurabi and the top 10 list are not binding.

Is the universal law to which you refer binding?
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Asked & Answered.
    Asked & Answered.
    The "answer" made a comparison rather than make a statement. If you'd prefer not to discuss the concept you presented, I respect that. I just thought that since you offered it, you might be prepared to elaborate.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Chase your tail if you care to. My statement stands.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast