Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Did anyone catch the segment on "Newshour with Jim Lehrer"? This is the description of the segment:"Attorney General Alberto Gonzales' chief of staff resigned over new revelations about the dismissal of eight U.S. attorneys. Two senators discuss the developments."

They had Sen Leahy (D-VT) and Rep Issa (R-CA). Both were very upset at administration officials misleading Congress and bypassing the usual Senate confirmation process for US attorneys and using the Patriot Act to put political cronys in such positions.

Leahy is going to ask for testimony under oath from the officials involved. So is Rep. Issa.

I love the new Congressional oversight ....
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Yet Gonzales is still in office, he had a news conference to "explain himself" over that.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17592698/
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3.    #3  
    The audio of the news segment is at
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rss/redi...ttorneys28.mp3

20 minutes of coverage on one topic. I love it!!!! (I hate soundbites on network tv and WWF-style coverage on cable news).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    And no one remembers when Clinton fired NINETY THREE US DA's within months of taking office. Including the one investigating Whitewater and the guy investing Rosty Rostenkowski.
    Politicians never let an opportunity slip by for outrage and a press release. This applies to members of both parties.

A "holier than thou" piety coupled with righteous indignation seems somewhat out of place in such a situation. I think other Presidents who served in the 1980's (D variety) have had mass firings of U.S. Attorneys.

So the D's shouldn't be so sanctimonious. And the R's shouldn't feel so aggrieved. They've done this before.

Best we all just ignore this manufactured fluffery and ask the important questions, like "Why are you wasting my money on porkbarrel projects?" This has the convenient effect of sidestepping party politics and targeting the individual integrity and character of each Member of Congress.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever View Post
    And no one remembers when Clinton fired NINETY THREE US DA's within months of taking office. Including the one investigating Whitewater and the guy investing Rosty Rostenkowski.
    Aha!! I was waiting for someone to bring up this.

Attorneys are political appointees. Like cabinet secretaries and various administrators.

All of them resign or are asked to do so every time the administration changes. This is normal. What Clinton did, Bush (sr. or jr.), is the same. Repeat: they are political appointees.

However, the appointees have to be confirmed by the US Senate. That was the process that was being short-circuited (thanks to the Patriot Act, which allows this under very special exigent circumstances). Gonzales and justice dept officials came to congress and testified, under oath, on the reasons for replacing the attorneys. Today's revelations indicate that those reasos were WRONG. To quote Gonzales:"Mistakes were made".

Do us a favor and listen to the clip I posted. Start at about 10 minutes into clip if you have a short attention span. Listen to the Republican Representative. He was furious at the happenings.

Both Leahy and Issa are upset not because the Attorneys were replaced. That is the power the President has. They are both upset that people came to Conress and lied (oops, misled) to them about the reasons for replacing them. And the effort to bypass the Senate confirmation process.

Don't try to associate Clinton (the right winger's favorite punching bag) with this. This was NOT the same thing.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    I think other Presidents who served in the 1980's (D variety) have had mass firings of U.S. Attorneys.
    Read my previous post (and listen to the mp3 I posted).

All politicians are the corrupt and self-serving. Some are more so than others.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Aha, and I was waiting for a liberal to trot out the latest talking points.

Please tell me how many of the fired DA's are investigating the Bush administration? How many are investigating friends of Bush?

Clinton fired EVERY SINGLE STINKING ONE. It was a judicial Krystalnacht. Compare that to the current events.

Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    Aha!! I was waiting for someone to bring up this.

Attorneys are political appointees. Like cabinet secretaries and various administrators.

All of them resign or are asked to do so every time the administration changes. This is normal. What Clinton did, Bush (sr. or jr.), is the same. Repeat: they are political appointees.

However, the appointees have to be confirmed by the US Senate. That was the process that was being short-circuited (thanks to the Patriot Act, which allows this under very special exigent circumstances). Gonzales and justice dept officials came to congress and testified, under oath, on the reasons for replacing the attorneys. Today's revelations indicate that those reasos were WRONG. To quote Gonzales:"Mistakes were made".

Do us a favor and listen to the clip I posted. Start at about 10 minutes into clip if you have a short attention span. Listen to the Republican Representative. He was furious at the happenings.

Both Leahy and Issa are upset not because the Attorneys were replaced. That is the power the President has. They are both upset that people came to Conress and lied (oops, misled) to them about the reasons for replacing them. And the effort to bypass the Senate confirmation process.

Don't try to associate Clinton (the right winger's favorite punching bag) with this. This was NOT the same thing.
  9.    #9  
    Please tell me how many of the fired DA's are investigating the Bush administration? How many are investigating friends of Bush?
    Irrelevant. Lying to Congress about the reasons for firing: not irrelevant.

Clinton fired EVERY SINGLE STINKING ONE. It was a judicial Krystalnacht. Compare that to the current events.
    Replacing all political appointees on change of administration is NORMAL part of our system. Lying to Congress is not.

How many cabinet secretaries were replaced when Bush took over from Clinton? Every one of them. How many US attorneys were replaced when Bush took over? Every one of them. That's NORMAL.

Misleading Congress: very very baad. That's why the Chief of Staff of the Attorney General resigned. That's why the Republican member of the House Judicial committee was so pissed. The anger over this is bipartisan.

Spend a few minutes researching the issue. This has nothing in common with the normal changing of every political appointee by new administrations.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Here's why it smells different this time around:
    According to the Congressional Research Service [PDF], of 486 U.S. attorneys confirmed between 1981 and 2006, only three were pushed out midterm.
    Last edited by g-funkster; 03/13/2007 at 08:28 PM.
  11.    #11  
    Right. And for those who will blindly quote the "Clinton fired 93 attorneys" once again: only 3 were pushed out mid-term.

Again, not that there is anything wrong with that.

What's wrong is lying to Congress who has an oversight role in the appointment of the attorneys. They have to confirm them. Normally. Unless Rove want's to sneak in his buddy and avoid the confirmation process. Which is waht happened this time.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    What is different is the press outrage and shrieks for blood Blood BLOOD!
    What is different is the press outrage and shrieks for blood Blood BLOOD!
    No, what's different (amongst many other things) is that the Justice Department insulted all of the attorneys by saying their firings were performance related. So some of these normally subservient, politically appointed attorneys decided they'd like to speak out for for their reputations, their careers.

Do you realize that the testimony of one attorney (Iglesias) might mean the end of a Republican Senator's career? Yeah, what a snoozer this story is, I wonder why it gets any coverage at all from the press
    So you're arguing about who is more wrong, LOL!! In the end, a politician is still a politician.

Almost NO politician is straightforward about their motives IMO. Who's worse, politicians or attorneys? LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The Hubbell Standard
    Hillary Clinton knows all about sacking U.S. Attorneys.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 12:01 a.m. EDT

Congressional Democrats are in full cry over the news this week that the Administration's decision to fire eight U.S. Attorneys originated from--gasp--the White House. Senator Hillary Clinton joined the fun yesterday, blaming President Bush for "the politicization of our prosecutorial system." Oh, my."

More on why those eight got the sack here: http://www.opinionjournal.com/editor...l?id=110009784
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    No, what's different (amongst many other things) is that the Justice Department insulted all of the attorneys by saying their firings were performance related. So some of these normally subservient, politically appointed attorneys decided they'd like to speak out for for their reputations, their careers.

Do you realize that the testimony of one attorney (Iglesias) might mean the end of a Republican Senator's career? Yeah, what a snoozer this story is, I wonder why it gets any coverage at all from the press
    As I understand it, Domenici was pressing for the prosecution of the ACORN whackos for their ballot box stuffing/voter registration weaseling, etc. Seems that securing the integrity of the democratic process should be a priority for a prosecutor.
  17. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    The Hubbell Standard
    Hillary Clinton knows all about sacking U.S. Attorneys.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 12:01 a.m. EDT

Congressional Democrats are in full cry over the news this week that the Administration's decision to fire eight U.S. Attorneys originated from--gasp--the White House. Senator Hillary Clinton joined the fun yesterday, blaming President Bush for "the politicization of our prosecutorial system." Oh, my."

More on why those eight got the sack here: http://www.opinionjournal.com/editor...l?id=110009784
    What up 1911! You back stateside or are you still over in the sandbox?

Anyways, Mediamatters has something to say about the Op-Ed piece you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by MediaMatters

WSJ editorial baselessly suggested Clinton replaced Arkansas U.S. attorney to avoid Whitewater investigation
    In a March 14 editorial headlined "The Hubbell Standard," The Wall Street Journal suggested that former President Bill Clinton "dismiss[ed] ... all 93 U.S. Attorneys" upon taking office in 1993 and subsequently appointed " 'Friend of Bill' Paula Casey as the U.S. Attorney for Little Rock" in order to avoid an investigation into "the Clintons' Whitewater dealings." The editorial stated, "Ms. Casey never did bring any big Whitewater indictments." But the Journal left out a key fact about the U.S. attorney whom Casey replaced: Charles A. Banks had himself resisted investigating the Whitewater matter, reportedly in defiance of pressure from George H.W. Bush administration officials in search of a pre-election issue with which to tar challenger Clinton. Moreover, as Media Matters for America has noted, the extensive independent counsel investigation into Whitewater -- launched several years after Clinton took office -- ultimately led the independent counsel to close the probe without charging the Clintons with any wrongdoing.

Source: MediaMatters
    Moreover, as Media Matters for America has noted, the extensive independent counsel investigation into Whitewater -- launched several years after Clinton took office -- ultimately led the independent counsel to close the probe without charging the Clintons with any wrongdoing.
    ...because Susan McDougal refused to testify regarding Clinton's role in Whitewater, which resulted in her going to jail for contempt for a year and a half. McDougal was later pardoned by Clinton.

That transaction was just dripping in slime.
    http://www.opinionjournal.com/editor...l?id=110009784

Yep, it is most amazing how short our memories are - especially when we yell about about someone else and are as guilty or more.

Demonstrates where the Democrat party and its "leaders" stand.

Ben
    What's amazing to me is how many still believe what ANY politician says is the complete truth, LOL!!!! Politicians=Spin and half truths much of the time, no matter what party.

I'd vote Independent if those parties ever had a chance of winnnig, but the 2 biggies have pretty much shut all other parties out! There's no big organization to help with fundraising for the little parties, so they get shut out. In the end, you need big money to run for federal government. How is the average citizen supposed to run for office? That was the original intention, BUT now it's all about who the party organizations want in office.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm just sick of big party politicians, LOL!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast