1.    #1  
    [Deleted]
    Last edited by G-funkster; 06/19/2017 at 03:02 PM.
    Wouldn't the liberals want a pardon?
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    One would think so, but perhaps the left is more interested in that bigger fish in the pond and, in a convoluted, murky, indirect way showing it (hey it’s OK: it is a free country!). Not that Libby needs any help here.
    Why would a liberal want a pardon?
  5.    #5  
    A few 'liberals' would perhaps expect it from this president, but it would only add ammunition to those seeking to make a case against this administration. These numbers say definitively that the majority wish to let the law run its course.

And considering a pardon at this point only breaks a set of DOJ recommendations (ie, no laws), it doesn't really make much sense for the opposition to want one.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    A few 'liberals' would perhaps expect it from this president, but it would only add ammunition to those seeking to make a case against this administration. These numbers say definitively that the majority wish to let the law run its course.
    What gets me is that many are playing this up as if a Presidential Pardon is something new and if GWB does this it will be a huge deal as if it was setting a presedence.

Here are some the numbers for pardons for Reagan and Clinton:

Here are some of the pardons from Bill on his last day in office:

Pardons signed on final day in office
    Clinton issued 140 pardons on his last day of office (January 20, 2001).[10] Some controversial pardons include the following:

• Carlos A. Vignali had his sentence for cocaine trafficking commuted, after serving 6 of 15 years in federal prison.
    • Almon Glenn Braswell was pardoned of his mail fraud and perjury convictions, even while a federal investigation was underway regarding additional money laundering and tax evasion charges.[11] Braswell and Carlos Vignali each paid approximately $200,000 to Hillary Clinton's brother, Hugh Rodham, to represent their respective cases for clemency. Hugh Rodham returned the payments after they were disclosed to the public. Braswell would later invoke the Fifth Amendment at a Senate Committee hearing in 2001, when questioned about allegations of his having systematically defrauded senior citizens of millions of dollars.[12]
    • Marc Rich, a fugitive, was pardoned of tax evasion, after clemency pleas from Israeli prime minister Ehud Barak, among many other international luminaries. Denise Rich, Marc's former wife, was a close friend of the Clintons and had made substantial donations to both Clinton's library and Hillary's Senate campaign. Several months after her last donation, emails reveal Republican attorney "Scooter" Libby asked her to approach Clinton about pardoning Marc Rich. Clinton agreed to a pardon that required Marc Rich to pay a $100,000,000 fine before he could return to the United States. According to Paul Volcker's independent investigation of Iraqi Oil-for-Food kickback schemes, Marc Rich was a middleman for several suspect Iraqi oil deals involving over 4 million barrels of oil.[13]
    • Susan McDougal, who had already completed her sentence, was pardoned for her role in the Whitewater scandal; McDougal had served 18 months on contempt charges for refusing to testify about Clinton's role.
    • Roger Clinton, the president's half-brother, on drug charges. Roger Clinton would be charged with drunk driving and disorderly conduct in an unrelated incident within a year of the pardon.[14] He was also briefly alleged to have been utilized in lobbying for the Braswell pardon, among others.

It has been pointed out that the total number of pardons Clinton granted was comparable to other presidents[15][16][17] and that Republican presidential pardons have also been controversial, including President Gerald Ford's pardon of former President Richard Nixon on September 8, 1974 and President George H. W. Bush's pardons of six Reagan administration officials accused or convicted in connection with the Iran-Contra affair and Orlando Bosch.

SOURCE
    Here is also an interesting page with links to the history of Presenditial pardons...Link Here

I am not making a case for pardons for those who have been convicted of committing crimes in any way....I still stand by my statements in the past that those who commit the crimes should be held accountable...only the scewing of a President extending a pardon to those close to them as if GWB would be the only Pres to have done so.
  7.    #7  
    just to be clear, I was speaking of this President's penchant for rule bending, not his pardon record.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Why would a liberal want a pardon?
    Just more fodder for Bush Bashing.
    Just more fodder for Bush Bashing.
    I'd give Scoot a deal in exchange for cooperation on investigating/prosecuting the larger crime, but as it stands he's guilty of fairly serious crimes.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Scoot would take the deal, then crawfish and drill that ole devil in the a$$...

I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002 View Post
    Scoot would take the deal, then crawfish and drill that ole devil in the a$$...

I'm afraid to ask.

Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I'm afraid to ask.

to crawfish means to back out of the deal
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Ok, then who is getting drilled?
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Ok, then who is getting drilled?