Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31
  1.    #1  
    Newt Gingrich confessed to having an extramarital affair at the same time he was leading the charge against Bill Clinton for doing the same thing. I am sure that is is rather sad and humbling for him to admit this but I am interested in the conservative reactions here. Do you think it was hypocritical, do you condemn what he did? Or was what he did an acceptable means to get at Clinton?

    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
  2. #2  
    I honestly think you need to re-evaluate the assertions in your statement.
  3. #3  
    I consider it hypocritical and Im not surprised.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  4. #4  
    Not acceptable, but politics...

    Ben
  5. #5  
    I thought BC was being hounded for lying to the grand jury (same thing as Scooter Libby).

    How/why an investigation into a financial deal (Whitewater) was asking about his sex life is beyond my comprehension.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  6. #6  
    Politicians will say and do anything to stay in office. It doesnt matter, Democrat, Republican, Independent, tree-hugger, Ross Perot, right wing, left wing, no wing. Some may enter congress with noble intentions, but then the focus pretty much becomes saying and doing anything to get relected 2 years down the road (and this includes saying or doing anything to get your face in the media).
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs View Post
    I honestly think you need to re-evaluate the assertions in your statement.
    You are right. Gingrich, humbling experience? what was I thinking?
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    I thought BC was being hounded for lying to the grand jury (same thing as Scooter Libby).
    Exactly. Perjury is against the law. Having an affair isn't.

    How/why an investigation into a financial deal (Whitewater) was asking about his sex life is beyond my comprehension.
    Wasn't it in response to charges of sexual harassment?
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    Newt Gingrich confessed to having an extramarital affair at the same time he was leading the charge against Bill Clinton for doing the same thing. I am sure that is is rather sad and humbling for him to admit this but I am interested in the conservative reactions here. Do you think it was hypocritical, do you condemn what he did? Or was what he did an acceptable means to get at Clinton?

    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
    He actually states rather well the dilemma he faced:

    I drew a line in my mind that said, 'Even though I run the risk of being deeply embarrassed, and even though at a purely personal level I am not rendering judgment on another human being, as a leader of the government trying to uphold the rule of law, I have no choice except to move forward and say that you cannot accept ... perjury in your highest officials.
    This is the correct perspective on how flawed people can maintain order amongst themselves--the rule of law. And, I for one appreciate that a civil servant would execute the responsiblities of his/her office in light of the law rather than in the shadow of the parallels that existed in his/her own affairs (pun not intended).
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Wasn't it in response to charges of sexual harassment?
    Ken Starr found nothing prosecutable in the Whitewater case. So he started investigating sexual harassment? Besides, Monica never accused BC of harassment.
    I'd excuse lying about sexual affairs way before excusing someone lying about smearing CIA agents or about matters of national security (hyping the imminent danger from mushroom clouds..).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Exactly. Perjury is against the law. Having an affair isn't.

    Wasn't it in response to charges of sexual harassment?
    Yes. This is what I was pointing out in my first post.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    Ken Starr found nothing prosecutable in the Whitewater case. So he started investigating sexual harassment? Besides, Monica never accused BC of harassment.
    I'd excuse lying about sexual affairs way before excusing someone lying about smearing CIA agents or about matters of national security (hyping the imminent danger from mushroom clouds..).
    No, Paula Jones accused him of harrassment. Clinton's testimony in the Paula Jones case is where he perjured himself. He was brought up on obstruction charges during the investigation of the perjury charge.

    Regarding your second point: I agree with you. The only thing is that its never been proven.
    Last edited by hoovs; 03/09/2007 at 03:17 PM.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    Ken Starr found nothing prosecutable in the Whitewater case. So he started investigating sexual harassment? Besides, Monica never accused BC of harassment.
    What Hoovs said.

    I'd excuse lying about sexual affairs way before excusing someone lying about smearing CIA agents or about matters of national security (hyping the imminent danger from mushroom clouds..).
    I wouldn't excuse perjury, whether it's about sex with a subordinate in the office, a conversation with a journalist, or a tip from a stock broker.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs View Post
    No, Paula Jones accused him of harrassment. Clinton's testimony in the Paula Jones case is where he perjured himself. He was brought up on obstruction charges during the investigation of the pergury charge.
    Why did all the lascivious details of ML+BC end up in the Starr report?

    I think perjury under ANY circumstances is bad and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent to discourage perjury. But I, personally, will make a distinction (in sentencing?) between someone lying to hide his/her consensual sexual affairs vs. someone lying for political, profit, or national security policies.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Exactly. Perjury is against the law. Having an affair isn't.
    And they are both morally wrong. Having known that, Newt Gingrich should have simply shut up, something politicians have a hard time doing when they should.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by john_v View Post
    Politicians will say and do anything to stay in office. It doesnt matter, Democrat, Republican, Independent, tree-hugger, Ross Perot, right wing, left wing, no wing. Some may enter congress with noble intentions, but then the focus pretty much becomes saying and doing anything to get relected 2 years down the road (and this includes saying or doing anything to get your face in the media).
    But if an individual TRULY believes they are serving their constituency, and in reality even are, should they not strive to stay in office. Is that not the point of being a "public servent"?
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by impish View Post
    And they are both morally wrong. Having known that, Newt Gingrich should have simply shut up, something politicians have a hard time doing when they should.
    What??? Are you suggesting that Clinton should have been excused for perjury or that the sexual harassment case should have been dismissed without a trial because Gingrich cheated on his wife?
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    What??? Are you suggesting that Clinton should have been excused for perjury or that the sexual harassment case should have been dismissed without a trial because Gingrich cheated on his wife?
    No. Re-read what I have said.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by impish View Post
    No. Re-read what I have said.
    I re-read what you said. Samkim's question still seems appropriate.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by impish View Post
    No. Re-read what I have said.
    I read it several times before I asked the question. I wanted you to clarify your position.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions