Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    Newt Gingrich confessed to having an extramarital affair at the same time he was leading the charge against Bill Clinton for doing the same thing. I am sure that is is rather sad and humbling for him to admit this but I am interested in the conservative reactions here. Do you think it was hypocritical, do you condemn what he did? Or was what he did an acceptable means to get at Clinton?

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
    Define the word "is".
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    Why did all the lascivious details of ML+BC end up in the Starr report?
    Because it was evidence of a relationship thus evidence of perjury.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs View Post
    Because it was evidence of a relationship thus evidence of perjury.
    Ok.
    ML+BC+BJ had nothing to do with Whitewater - Check
    ML did not accuse BC of harassment or coercion - Check
    Some other "ladies" like PJ did.
    So what does that have to do with ML+BC+BJ?

Perjury came after BC was asked about ML. Why was he being questioned about a private sexual matter unrelated to PJ?

Was a consensual extra-marital affair (with ML or anybody) supposed to prove that PJ had been harassed? That's a stretch.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    I re-read what you said. Samkim's question still seems appropriate.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    I read it several times before I asked the question. I wanted you to clarify your position.
    The thread's question is: " Do you think it was hypocritical, do you condemn what he did? Or was what he did an acceptable means to get at Clinton?"
    My answer is: Yes, it was hypocritical. NG should not have led the charge against Bill Clinton, he should have let others do that. As an act of personal integrity and respect to his constituents, his job, his family and the American people he should have removed himself from leading the charge against BC. My comment was in regards to moral values.
    As Hoovs pointed out, the original question was misleadingly constructed. Clinton wasn't charged with having an affair. Among other things, he was accused of sexual harrassment, and of lying about having sex with an employee in the office. His wedding vows aren't relevant to either of those.
    Ok.
    ML+BC+BJ had nothing to do with Whitewater - Check
    ML did not accuse BC of harassment or coercion - Check
    Some other "ladies" like PJ did.
    So what does that have to do with ML+BC+BJ?

Perjury came after BC was asked about ML. Why was he being questioned about a private sexual matter unrelated to PJ?

Was a consensual extra-marital affair (with ML or anybody) supposed to prove that PJ had been harassed? That's a stretch.
    How about sex with a subordinate? I believe the PJ case related to Clinton's abusing his powers.

The prosecution was trying to show a pattern of behavior and ML was only one of several women questioned in the case. Remeber GF? Proving a pattern of behavior goes beyond the existence of a relationship into the whos and hows.
    It is interesting to hear conservative columnists switch roles and attack the Libby conviction. Things like this was not the main focus of the investigation. Some perjury is excusable etc. The point is that a jury believed Russert and did not believe Libby.

Charles Krauthammer:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...030801499.html

Rebuttal by E. J. Dionne Jr.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...030801501.html
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    As Hoovs pointed out, the original question was misleadingly constructed. Clinton wasn't charged with having an affair. Among other things, he was accused of sexual harrassment, and of lying about having sex with an employee in the office. His wedding vows aren't relevant to either of those.
    I read the previous posts.
    For me, as a tax payer and someone who has supported the former Speaker of the House, I expect honesty and integrity from him, nothing less. "Zippergate" isn't the subject here but Gingrich's behavior, as far as I am concerned. This is a moral issue addressing someone who preached for moral values and family values.

"Several newspapers are now reporting that Newt Gingrich is dating and basically living with Callista Bisek, a 'willowy blond Congressional aide 23 years his junior.' Biske, 33, has been spending nights at Gingrich's apartment near the Capitol and has her own key. In an amazing act of hypocrisy, Gingrich was apparently dating Bisek all during Clinton-Lewinsky adultery scandal, even as he proclaimed family values and bitterly criticized the President for his adultery." - Copyright 1999 Real People For Real Change

Make no mistake about it, I was, and still am, disappointed and angry at Bill Clinton's behavior, his moral judgments and his lying to everyone. But the hypocritical behavior of Gingrich as for moral/family values is outrageous to me.
    Last edited by impish; 03/09/2007 at 09:07 PM.
    His hypocrisy on family values is a given, but according to Salon in 1998, Gingrich attacked Clinton for everything but the adultery - solely due to his own infidelity.

http://www.salon.com/news/1998/08/28news.html
    Wow! Revealing. Glad I checked in tonight.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12