Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Actual letter from an Iowa resident sent to his senator

The Honorable Tom Harkin
    731 Hart Senate Office Building
    Phone (202) 222 3254
    Washington DC 20510

Dear Senator Harkin,

As a native Iowan and excellent customer of the Internal Revenue Service, I am writing to ask for your assistance. I have contacted the Department of Homeland Security in an effort to determine the process for becoming an illegal alien and they referred me to you.

My primary reason for wishing to change my status from US citizen to illegal alien stems from the bill which was recently passed by the Senate and for which you voted. If my understanding of this bill`s provisions is accurate, as an illegal alien who has been in the United States for five years, all I need to do to become a citizen is to pay a $2000 fine and income taxes for three of the last five years. I know a good deal when I see one and I am anxious to get the process started before everyone figures it out.

Simply put, those of us who have been here legally have had to pay taxes every year so Im excited about the prospect of avoiding two years of taxes in return for paying a $2000 fine. Is there any way that I can apply to be illegal retroactively? This would yield an excellent result for me and my family because we paid heavy taxes in 2004 and 2005.

Additionally, as an illegal alien I could begin using the local emergency room as my primary health care provider. Once I have stopped paying premiums for medical insurance, my accountant figures I could save almost $10,000 a year!

Another benefit in gaining illegal status would be that my daughter would receive preferential treatment relative to her law school applications, as well as "instate" tuition rates for many colleges throughout the United States for my son.

Lastly, I understand that illegal status would relieve me of the burden of renewing my driver`s license and making those burdensome car insurance premiums. This is very important to me given that I still have college age children driving my car.

If you would provide me with an outline of the process to become illegal (retroactively if possible) and copies of the necessary forms, I would be most appreciative.

Thank you for your assistance.

Your Loyal Constituent,

John Smith
    Burlington, IA

GET YOUR FORMS NOW, FOLKS!!! CALL YOUR INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE
    1-800-289-1040
    PASS THIS ONTO YOUR FRIENDS SO THEY CAN SAVE ON THIS GREAT OFFER!!
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    The future`s lookin` bright. Gotta wear shades!

I tell ya, our country is screwed.
    My wife and I had a similar discussion late last week. It would save us a fortune. Ben
    At first I thought this was cute then it just got stupid.

Emergency rooms have to treat anyone that presents.

You'll have to point me to these instances of peferential tx for illegal aliens in college admissions and in-state tutition.

You'll also have to point me to the states that allow unlicensed drivers.

That being said, I agree 100% that the illegal immigration issue in this country has reached crisis proportions and something MUST BE DONE NOW!
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post

You'll have to point me to these instances of peferential tx for illegal aliens in college admissions and in-state tutition.

That being said, I agree 100% that the illegal immigration issue in this country has reached crisis proportions and something MUST BE DONE NOW!

As far as the emergency issue, of course emergency rooms have to treat anyone that presents. The issue here is that illegal aliens are apparently using them for ALL of their medical needs, rather than simply for emergencies... what does this do for the quality of care or wait times for those who are presenting with legitimate emergencies, those of us who are actually PAYING our medical premiums?

I recently spoke with a police officer who openly told me that when officers stop illegal aliens driving without a license and without paperwork, they simply LET THEM GO! They dont even arrest them! According to him, with no paperwork, there is really nothing they can do! I was staggered. I live in New Jersey, by the way.

In Texas, illegal aliens are given access to colleges at in-state tuitions, but if you or I were to move from Indiana to Texas and apply for college, we would be given out-of-state tuition. Nice setup we have going on here, isnt it?
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    My wife and I had a similar discussion late last week. It would save us a fortune. Ben
    Yeah, wouldnt it?
    Can we move to any other country for these benifits?
    What a great letter
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002 View Post
    As far as the emergency issue, of course emergency rooms have to treat anyone that presents. The issue here is that illegal aliens are apparently using them for ALL of their medical needs, rather than simply for emergencies... what does this do for the quality of care or wait times for those who are presenting with legitimate emergencies, those of us who are actually PAYING our medical premiums?
    Patients are triaged in ER so the more serious or injured are seen first. American citizens without insurance use the ER in the same manner. This has been brought up by me during debates over national health care.

I recently spoke with a police officer who openly told me that when officers stop illegal aliens driving without a license and without paperwork, they simply LET THEM GO! They dont even arrest them! According to him, with no paperwork, there is really nothing they can do! I was staggered. I live in New Jersey, by the way.
    Anecdotal and a cop who should be fired.

In Texas, illegal aliens are given access to colleges at in-state tuitions, but if you or I were to move from Indiana to Texas and apply for college, we would be given out-of-state tuition. Nice setup we have going on here, isnt it?
    You said applicant preferential status. Please elaborate.

Look, I don't disagree with your objection to the lack of immigration enforcement. I think sinply pointing out the fact that illegal immigrant labor is anti-capitalist should be enough.
    San Francisco police are not permitted to inquire of immigration status because it is a supposed "sanctuary." Believe California also has in-state tuition rates for immigrants sans legal status when graduating from California High Schools.

California spends over $1 billion a year housing prisoners who are illegal immigrants. Prisons are overcrowded and the ACLU put the kibosh on transferring prisoners out of state to less crowded facilities (perhaps because those facilities are run by private contractors); meanwhile the state is fined for failing to meet federal standards on prison conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    So would jail...room, board and free medical/dental
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    San Francisco police are not permitted to inquire of immigration status because it is a supposed "sanctuary." Believe California also has in-state tuition rates for immigrants sans legal status when graduating from California High Schools.

California spends over $1 billion a year housing prisoners who are illegal immigrants. Prisons are overcrowded and the ACLU put the kibosh on transferring prisoners out of state to less crowded facilities (perhaps because those facilities are run by private contractors); meanwhile the state is fined for failing to meet federal standards on prison conditions.
    However, certainly SF police are required to enforce the law which is, no license then you get the charge or tix whichever it may be.

Wow! 1 billion! I'd love to see a source on that. My understanding is that misdemeanor crimes by illegals are met with deportation.

I'd also love to see a source on the ACLU statement.
    Deportation is seldom carried out, release to own recognizance is more common.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    So would jail...room, board and free medical/dental
    And as an illegal alien you can be detained indefinitely without a costly trial either. The savings go on and on and on.
    yep - the perks of being an "illegal" it would be the life! Just imagine, having the privilege of being born in poor in an underdeveloped country with no real hope for any advancement no matter what personal effort you make, because of the inherent corruption in your system of government. Then making the deicision to literally risk your life and limb abandon your family to cross desert and sneak by night to a place where (you sure as hell aint welcome) to work menial and low paying thankless jobs just so you can scrape enough change together to send back home to your family and to pay for the trailer you share with 7 others in your exact same situation. All the while living in constant fear because of one decision you felt was justifiable given the circumstances. where exactly do i sign up again?
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    Deportation is seldom carried out, release to own recognizance is more common.
    deportation is not "seldom carried out", deportation is carried out the majority of the time. Why dont you read the actual statistics on this yourself?

http://trac.syr.edu/immigration/library/P737.pdf
    I think the misconceptions about how immigration laws are enforced (or not enforced) stems from lack of clarity on federal versus state responsibility. Isn't Immigration essentially a federal matter?
    Yet, aren't the costs of illegal immigration born mostly by the states?

So, when the police officer stops one s/he learns to be a person in the country illegally, it is often easier to let them go. Think about it:

1. To whom do you address the ticket?
    2. How do you enforce the panalty?
    3. What local or state court has jurisdiction?

Of course, the alternative is to arrest them and place them in jail (and incur the associated costs)
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    deportation is not "seldom carried out", deportation is carried out the majority of the time. Why dont you read the actual statistics on this yourself?

http://trac.syr.edu/immigration/library/P737.pdf
    I don't see evidence of deportation. There is a statement of 36% (over 3 years) release rates based on insufficient resources to address. This means approxmiately 64% go through some level of processing.

It goes on to show that of those that are processed and given final orders of removal, there is difficulty in carrying out the order due to:
    • failure to appear in court
      propensity to abscond
      blocking or inhibitions against repatriation from home countries
      Supreme court decisions mandating release for those not processed in 180 days

So, it is unclear to me how many case result in actual deportation.

Granted, the aim of the report seems to be getting additional resources, so the deportation rate may be better than is intimated.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    I think the misconceptions about how immigration laws are enforced (or not enforced) stems from lack of clarity on federal versus state responsibility. Isn't Immigration essentially a federal matter?
    Yet, aren't the costs of illegal immigration born mostly by the states?

So, when the police officer stops one s/he learns to be a person in the country illegally, it is often easier to let them go. Think about it:

1. To whom do you address the ticket?
    2. How do you enforce the panalty?
    3. What local or state court has jurisdiction?

Of course, the alternative is to arrest them and place them in jail (and incur the associated costs)
    PRECISELY
    The real solution for illegal immigration is:

Mass. Leather Goods Maker Hired Illegals

Excerpts:

...Investigators said the illegal worker paid a steep price for their jobs: dingy conditions and onerous fines, including a $20 charge for talking while working and spending more than two minutes in the bathroom.

Late employees were docked for every minute, according to U.S. Attorney Michael Sullivan. Others were forced to work double shifts on the lines of machines for stitching military backpacks and safety vests. Sullivan compared the scene to sweatshops from the early 1900s. ...

...Investigators said Insolia, plant manager Dilia Costa, payroll manager Ana Figueroa and office manager Gloria Melo allowed an undercover officer posing as an illegal immigrant to continue working at the plant for four days in September 2006. Figueroa also advised her how to obtain a fake Social Security card, investigators said. ...

... Insolia, 50, Costa, 55, Figueroa, 40, and Melo, 41, each were charged with conspiring to encourage or induce illegal aliens to reside in the United States which carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison and conspiring to hire illegal aliens, which is punishable by up to six months in prison. ...

This is what supports illegal immigration. Business owners who want to return to the labor conditions of the 1910s.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post

You're right about emergency rooms (I'm an ER doc). It's not about illegal immigrants, anyone can use ERs without insurance and many citizens use them for primary care.

About the in-state tuition, it's actually true: see http://www.cnn.com/2003/EDUCATION/05...nt.tuition.ap/

Agree 100% with what you say about immigration reform.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast