Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I was curious as to what most people thought of the market's recent pullback last week.

I think you want to buy when everyone is running away from stocks, as stocks right now could be snapped up at good bargains. However we might also be headed lower in the short term, who knows.

The concerns though are
    1) subprime crisis - bad loans to people with bad credit
    2) 33% chance of recession later this year.
    3) We've reached 6 year highs, so we are due for a correction
    4) The gdp is slowing to 1.6 now, getting closer to stagnation.
    5) japan has been at peak highs - are they the next market to plunge?
    6) next few months may be volatile since the chinese correction has shaken investors.

On the other hand, the encouraging possibilities are:
    1) the fed still forecasts moderate us growth, with recession possible but not likely.
    2) possibilities of fed cutting rates, not once but maybe twice this year.
    3) The recent pullback presents good buying opportunities.

I guess the questions are:

are we likely to see further selloffs or have we hit the bottom at 8.5% down from our highs this year?

china sold off. is japan next, then europe, since international stocks in general have done extremely well over the past 4-5 years?

To those of you who follow the market regularly and check in on their 401ks, are you hanging in there right now? If not, would you stay in cash until we stabilize for a while or are you buying in incrementally at these new lows?
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    "communicate, drive a car, invest, assess risk, think independently"

-lol

I've decided what I'm going to do. (kinda, sorta, maybe...I think )
    I'm going to "try" to drive a car to a broker, then communicate poorly to him what my current financial questions are. Upon seeing the puzzled look on his face, I'll ask him to assess the market risk for me, 'cause I can't do it.. Next, no matter what that risk might be, I'll go with whatever he says because I'm not big on thinking independently today....

lol.
    Heck of a cross-thread response (to your own post, at that)! Is that even legal or moral? OR PC???
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    lol. I hear ya. just havin some fun!
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    Heck of a cross-thread response (to your own post, at that)! Is that even legal or moral? OR PC???

just the same, sblanter, better watch it...
    Oh, sorry. I've just been so emotional lately. Think it was that Gore movie I watched.

Oops, I've crossed threads myself.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    One should never cross the threads, or you'll have to face the giant staypuft marshmallow man.