Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I happened to go to CNN.com today, thinking I was visiting one of the top US news sites. These were the top headlines:

* Uncle: Giving young kids pot not a big deal Video
    * Prosecutor felt 'sickened' by political pressure
    * Police think dad meant to crash plane Video | Read
    * Study: Lung cancer screening doesn't save lives
    * Mom pleads guilty to using baby as a weapon
    * Steamy e-mails shed light on astronaut's behavior
    * Mega Millions jackpot sets a record | Spending it
    * Diver pulls dog from icy lake, tail a-wagging Video
    * Bread, pizza can threaten lives of mom, son Video
    * Looking for the 'Idol' contestant who has 'it'
    * Car carrying pot crashes into trooper's cruiser
    * Naomi Campbell's punishment: Mopping floors
    * CNN Wire: Latest updates on world's top stories

Is this what you call news in the US? What do you put on entertainment and gossip sites?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Who looks at CNN.com for news? Or for anything, for that matter? It's a gossip & entertainment site, plus propaganda as a bonus.
    Read what you think is significant, from wherever you can; digest it along with a grain of salt. You may need a salt shaker for cnn.
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup View Post
    I happened to go to CNN.com today, thinking I was visiting one of the top US news sites. These were the top headlines:

* Mega Millions jackpot sets a record | Spending it
    * Looking for the 'Idol' contestant who has 'it'
    * Naomi Campbell's punishment: Mopping floors
    * CNN Wire: Latest updates on world's top stories

Is this what you call news in the US? What do you put on entertainment and gossip sites?
    Looks like a problem with the top headlines algorithm. You'll find stories more to your liking by clicking the last link to "world's top stories."
    It's actually the consumer's fault. Americans prefer stories about events in the U.S.

Time and Newsweek found out a long time ago that issues with a story relating to U.S. happenings sell more than International stories.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    It's actually the consumer's fault. Americans prefer stories about events in the U.S.

Time and Newsweek found out a long time ago that issues with a story relating to U.S. happenings sell more than International stories.
    OP went to "top US news". Sure, there are more important stories in the US but I would think within the scope of top US news it wouldn't be unreasonable to only display stories related to the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs View Post
    OP went to "top US news". Sure, there are more important stories in the US but I would think within the scope of top US news it wouldn't be unreasonable to only display stories related to the US.
    I read the OP as I went to cnn.com main page and those were the headlines and the use of the phrase "top US News sites" refers to a US based news organization.

So my point still stands.
    Agreeing with dT. If it sells: sell it (consumer's fault).
    Perhaps the question to this thread ought be what constitutes "good" or "important" news? After-all, What’s good for the goose is good for the gander...or something like that. Sarcastically, of course.
    Personally I am an NPR guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by impish View Post
    Agreeing with dT. If it sells: sell it (consumer's fault).
    That sounds awfully capitalistic to be in agreement with daT.
    Why do you say these aren't important news items?

Did you see the reports on these? They are quite serious. That kid who gave those toddlers pot , he was so clueless it's a shame!!! The father who killed his own daughter along with himself,
    Lung cancer reports should be taken seriosuly being that we ALL either breathe in second hand smoke, smoke ourselves, or breathe in pollution. And child abuse isn't something to make light of. These do NOT belong in entertainment and gossip pages!!!

I didn't see that story, but was this the Scooter Libby prosecutor, by any chance? That's not a story to be taken lightly, if so. If you read the history of the trial, there could be some far reaching problems concerning that. Speculation that Rove and VP Cheney may get some grief next, though that may be unlikely.

This made the news because astronauts usually don't have scandals like this. Certainly not as important as world news, I agree.

I have to disagree with you on some points. Some of that most certainly IS news!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Agreed Phone Diva, but let's not get carried away thinking that an organization like CNN is not in the pockets of the administration, trying to divert attention away from the ONLY issues that really matter in this country right now....

1) Our economy is FUBAR because of the war in Iraq
    2) Healthcare / social security / entitlement spending is out of control.
    3) The government is a bunch of crooks.
    4) The 2008 election race is already being decided by electronic voting machine makers like Diebold.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    [COLOR="Navy"]Why do you say these aren't important news items?

This stuff is slighly bizzare, weird, rare and hence entertaining, but it is not something that really has influence on people's lives (with the exception of the cancer screening part).

Serious news IMHV are stories with consequences for many people, e.g. some political things. Few if any items on CNN (above) have this quality. Absurd and vain stories like
    seem to be more important than, say, the death of 9 US soldiers and 114 Shiite pilgroms on the same day.

Of all the Swiss, German, British news sites I know, only cheap tabloid media have this choice of news. On "real" news sites maybe 1 out of 10 headlines is of the above gossip type, not about 8 out of 10 as above.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Why do you say these aren't important news items?

I think the main point is the lack of international or affecting more americans topics.

That stuff is "Hook" headlines that will drag people into the site due to curiosity.
    This stuff is slighly bizzare, weird, rare and hence entertaining, but it is not something that really has influence on people's lives (with the exception of the cancer screening part).

Serious news IMHV are stories with consequences for many people, e.g. some political things. Few if any items on CNN (above) have this quality. Absurd and vain stories like
    seem to be more important than, say, the death of 9 US soldiers and 114 Shiite pilgroms on the same day.

Of all the Swiss, German, British news sites I know, only cheap tabloid media have this choice of news. On "real" news sites maybe 1 out of 10 headlines is of the above gossip type, not about 8 out of 10 as above.
    I'm sorry to hear you think the domestic abuse stories are mere gossip.
    Maybe YOU don't give a damn, but I'm sure others do. And it's NOT weird and rare!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    I think the main point is the lack of international or affecting more americans topics.

That stuff is "Hook" headlines that will drag people into the site due to curiosity.
    I'll agree about the lack of international news, but disagree that all that was posted was mostly unimportant to most Americans.

Serious news IMHV are stories with consequences for many people, e.g. some political things. Of all the Swiss, German, British news sites I know, only cheap tabloid media have this choice of news. On "real" news sites maybe 1 out of 10 headlines is of the above gossip type, not about 8 out of 10 as above.
    I am highlighting the words you are using to make a case for "serious" vs. "entertaining" news. By definition, what is news? What makes it serious? What makes it important? What should be on page 1, and what ought to be on page 21? Should something rare be on page 21 and something "serious" (that "really has influence on people's lives") be on page 1? And why?
    I understand exactly what you are saying, but who's to decide that British, German and/or Swiss publications are better-suited to deliver the news because their page 1 news is really important? Important to whom? Have you taken a poll on what's important and to whom? Have they taken such poll?
    Now, if you run a newspaper and you know that entertaining news sells better than serious news (quotations omitted for the sake of the argument), and lots of money involves for entertaining news to be on page 1 (advertisement, etc.), wouldn't you make a case for entertaining news on page 1?
    Perhaps some of it is also cultural: US citizens (for good or bad) view local bar brawls, or dog abuse as more important and closely related to their lives than the Iraq War or global warming. Perhaps for Swiss or Germans the opposite is true. Then what?
    (For the record, though, I do read and listen to international news a lot, and I visit NPR and BBC websites more often -- much more often! -- than CNN. But that's me.)

Amendment:
    I just checked the websites of the BBC (British) and NPR (American). Here are the headlines:
    NPR:
    * White House Dismisses Rumors of Pardon for Libby
    * Election Case Came Up in Judgeship Interview
    * Irish Immigrants Visit Congress to Ask for Rights
    * Many Veterans Face Health-Care 'Purgatory'
    * Russia's New Dissidents
    BBC:
    * Jordan's king urges US peace push
    * Indonesia begins jet crash probe
    * S Korea considers robot ethics code
    * Rogue trader plays the markets again - but with his own cash
    * Jodhpur gets ready for Liz Hurley's celebrity Indian wedding

Although NPR's first 4 are "US" news: they are indeed important, at least to me as an American.
    BBC's top story is important, but the rest are (in my opinion) quite minor in their relevance to me or to an average British (I am guessing).
    Last edited by impish; 03/07/2007 at 05:13 PM.
    "I'll agree about the lack of international news, but disagree that all that was posted was mostly unimportant to most Americans."

Did he say that what was posted was mostly unimportant to most Americans? I didn't see that.
    I also didn't see any reference to "mere gossip".
    This stuff is slighly bizzare, weird, rare and hence entertaining, but it is not something that really has influence on people's lives (with the exception of the cancer screening part). I take this to mean "unimportant."

Does the above help you see what I was talking about?

Originally Posted by daThomas

Add this also.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 03/07/2007 at 05:37 PM.

You demand serious news, yet you waste time on a gadget website.

Some people like to get their news and entertainment from one place.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast