Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I might have misread. Hopefully he meant only those 3 stories he pointed out * Diver pulls dog from icy lake, tail a-wagging Video
    * Bread, pizza can threaten lives of mom, son Video
    * Car carrying pot crashes into trooper's cruiser
    were gossipy.
    Because those stories about domestic abuse AREN'T gossip!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I was just responding to the "mere gossip" comment as opposed to simply "gossip". There's a difference.
    Again, I didn't think he said that what was posted was mostly unimportant to most Americans? That seems to me to be an assumption (maybe correct, maybe not).

I don't think s/he even said that it WASN'T news, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    Again, I didn't think he said that what was posted was mostly unimportant to most Americans? That seems to me to be an assumption (maybe correct, maybe not).

I don't think s/he even said that it WASN'T news, either.
    I was also responding to this statement by another poster, "I think the main point is the lack of international or affecting more americans topics.". And actually, the OP implies it's mostly unimportant period. And why would he ask "This is news?" if he thought it was? Read again: Is this what you call news in the US?

You're also splitting hairs about the gossip thing. He clearly said he thought most of those articles would appear in tabloid papers. Of all the Swiss, German, British news sites I know, only cheap tabloid media have this choice of news. On "real" news sites maybe 1 out of 10 headlines is of the above gossip type, not about 8 out of 10 as above.

HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by impish View Post
    Perhaps some of it is also cultural: US citizens (for good or bad) view local bar brawls, or dog abuse as more important and closely related to their lives than the Iraq War or global warming. Perhaps for Swiss or Germans the opposite is true. Then what?
    In fact, this may say a lot about why so many Americans tend to make false judgements, e.g. in politics. Two years after 9/11, 70% of Americans believed Saddam Hussein was personally involved in the 9/11 attacks - despite proof of the contrary. I don't think more than 2 % of the population outside of the US believed in the inexistent Saddam-9/11 link at that time. This kind of misinformation of course then leads to misjudgement, and to people like GWB becoming president.

Also global warming is a good example. It seems to be the case that dog abuse is more important than global warming to most Americans, and that many Americans can easily be fooled into believing global warming doesn't even exist - with serious consequences not only for the US, but also for the rest of the world.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    I think that's a little unfair!!! Most Americans trusted their government, is more like it! We now know we were lied to!! And those who refuse to admit it, well I won't say anything that'll start another fight with them! I'm too tired to argue with people from the far right.

As for global warming, yes I agree most people just bury their heads in the sand about that. We are more concerned about our comfort and livelyhood than the environment.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 03/08/2007 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Slight correction.

7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    As for global warming, yes I agree most people just bury their heads in the sand about that. We are more concerned about our comfort and livelyhood than the environment.[/COLOR]
    300 Million US citizens worry about their comfort exclusively, 6.6 billion have to deal with the consequences. See why I wish the choice of news would be more wise?

Europeans worry about their comfort, too, but indeed they seem to be closer to real world problems, which made them act against global warming. One day the US will wake up regarding global warming, too, but once again VERY late/too late (see the relationship with GWB as another example).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup View Post
    In fact, this may say a lot about why so many Americans tend to make false judgements, e.g. in politics. Two years after 9/11, 70% of Americans believed Saddam Hussein was personally involved in the 9/11 attacks - despite proof of the contrary. I don't think more than 2 % of the population outside of the US believed in the inexistent Saddam-9/11 link at that time. This kind of misinformation of course then leads to misjudgement, and to people like GWB becoming president.

Also global warming is a good example. It seems to be the case that dog abuse is more important than global warming to most Americans, and that many Americans can easily be fooled into believing global warming doesn't even exist - with serious consequences not only for the US, but also for the rest of the world.
    I honestly think you are convincing yourself that 1. you (actually) know or understand Americans, and 2. what’s important and why and to whom.
    Here are some points to ponder over:
    a. Your thread spelled astonishment at what’s news on CNN (interesting pick to begin with since as an American I rarely visit that site). You have made a leap of faith in assuming that most Americans get their news from CNN.
    b. You make an assumption that because “entertainment” news is unimportant (to you at least) – Americans got 9/11 and the Saddam Hussein involvement in it wrongly (or that Americans believed there was an involvement). Never mind that, at the time, 70% of Americans believed their president not CNN. Many of us know better now. Misinformation had nothing to do with “entertainment” news per se, then and now.
    c. What’s important? I think you are mixing importance with relevancy. My argument: If it is relevant – it is important. If for 1 billion people flooding in China is relevant that is important news in china. If drive-by-shooting effected a town of 63 people in the US – it is relevant (and therefore important) to that town. Numbers, sir, do not validate news’ important value or the lack of it: The relevancy of the news is what drives its importance.
    Consequently, validity is the same for “dog bites girl” news. Imagine how hugely relevant this story is to the girl who was bitten, her family, the owners of the dog and the neighborhood. Should this story be front page on CNN.com? Perhaps so if more readers are interested in it, but – then again – they are interested in it because it is relevant to them. It is somewhat an elitist-thinking on your part to assign relevancy to stories.
    d. I urge you to take a poll (on this forum or elsewhere) on how Americans get their information (news source). I also urge you to take a look at the American population and its diversity (arguably one of the most diverse nation on earth) and dissect that information into “relevancy” of news to the particularity of each of the cultures and languages and backgrounds and attitudes these people bring. Some of your findings might be politically-driven and some of it could be plain ignorance and lack of interest in world events or in what’s “important” to you or to Germans or British. Then I urge you to take the same poll in England or Egypt or Argentina and compare the results. I’d be very curious to read your thoughts when you are done.
    Last edited by impish; 03/08/2007 at 01:08 PM.
    I think that's a little unfair!!! Most Americans trusted their government, is more like it! We now know we were lied to!!
    See the Michael Moore thread.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    See the Michael Moore thread.
    So Mr. Moore was right: Prez. Bush lied to us!
    I think that's a little unfair!!! Most Americans trusted their government, is more like it! We now know we were lied to!! And those who refuse to admit it, well I won't say anything that'll start another fight with them! I'm too tired to argue with people from the far right.
    Actually, I'll say the press let down the public on this point. The press gave this administration too much trust and did not scrutinize the Iraq policy or it's possible outcome. Too often our news media puts pleasing the consumer before the facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Actually, I'll say the press let down the public on this point. The press gave this administration too much trust and did not scrutinize the Iraq policy or it's possible outcome. Too often our news media puts pleasing the consumer before the facts.
    I don't know.
    I think readers need to be savvy enough to scrutinize what they read or hear. Blaming the press for a lying president is like blaming a dog for barking at a passing car.
    Quote Originally Posted by impish View Post
    I don't know.
    I think readers need to be savvy enough to scrutinize what they read or hear. Blaming the press for a lying president is like blaming a dog for barking at a passing car.
    Yea, but letting this administration say nebulous crap like "we're staying in Iraq until we have victory" without asking what "victory" means is utterly not doing their job.
    Much more broadly, it appears that the priority of "the press" seems to have shifted from information to circulation.
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    Much more broadly, it appears that the priority of "the press" seems to have shifted from information to circulation.
    $
    No Anna Nicole story appeared on that list. Then the OP'd have something to gripe about. But apparently CNN isn't all "tabloidish" because if it were, she would certainly have been mentioned!!

The news media in US is financially sick. All major newspapers with publicly held shares are losing money (or suffering falling stock prices from unrealistic wall-street pressures). They are doing ANYTHING to increase their revenues.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/newswar/part3/
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...iew/part3.html

As with all other problems plaguing a democracy, I blame the public ....
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12