1.    #1  
    After borrowing my friends digital camera for the weekend, I'm looking to buy one for myself. The camera that I used for the weekend was a Toshiba (PDR-M4), and I also had a Sony Mavica (with the disk drive). I liked the convience and price of media of the mavica, but it caused the form factor to be so large that it was too cumbersome to use. Because of this, I think that I would like to stick with compact flash, or smart media. The camera that I would like to get should also have a good battery life with the LCD screen on. I don't mind having a fairly small LCD if it is required for the trade off between resolution and LCD. I also liked the fact that the toshiba was very small (by my standards), and was easy to carry. The only thing that I would like that might be hard to find is a movie function on the camera (like the sony) so I can take short 5 second videos.
    Now the hard part. I would like to find all of this for about 250-350. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

BEN
    Take a look at the new Kodak MC3. Pictures, video, and MP3 all in one... and well within your price range.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  3.    #3  
    I was looking at the MC3, but it doesn't really appeal to me. For some reason I think that if they can get an MP3 player in there for such little cost, then they must have sacrificed some quality for more product. Are there any other ideas? I've been looking around, and most of the camera's that I've seen are fairly large when compared to the Toshiba. Is this a normal phenomenon?

BEN

PS, After going through the spell check, I'm surprised that it didn't pick up on the "phenomenon"
    I have an Olympus 450z and I love it, the 460z is really nice (the model replaced the 450z) my father inlaw, my cousins, my sister's boyfriend, and a buddy of mine all have the 460z. The got theirs after using my 450z.
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
  5.    #5  
    Hmm.. I must say that I like the oplympus 460z's specs, but I also like the kodac DC 4800. Does anybody have any info on this model?

Also, the "burst" feature. Is this comparable to the movie feature of the sony's, or is it not really useful?

Thanx.

BEN
    Originally posted by BEN
    "burst" feature
    Some (not all-check the specs) cameras allow you to press and hold the shutter button to take a series of pictures in rapid succession.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    I had a DC4800 for about six months, and liked it but decided to upgrade to the Canon PowerShot G1. I take a lot of photos, and needed some additional features. The DC4800 is a solid camera, easy to use, with some great features (sepia tones, auto or manual operation, nice zoom.) I gave it to my husband.

What drew me to the Canon was the foldout LCD and more powerful manual controls. It is almost as good as the Nikon 35mm I had been borrowing from my husband. I just ordered a telephoto and macro lens for it, but you have to use an adapter and these are not standard lenses. All in all a great camera, but twice as costly as the DC4800.

For the money I really liked the DC4800. I haven't used the "burst" feature, nor have I shot a video using the Canon. If I need video, I'd rather use a video recorder.
    "When I am Empress...Heads will roll!"
    Queen of Parts
  8.    #8  
    Fixitgal, (or anybody who knows)

Can you use any CF card with the kodak camera, or do you have to use the kdak brand cards?

BEN
    Note that, as cool as it is, the Kodak MC3 only takes photos at 640 x 480. You can get a camera at that resolution for under $100.

The two big price factors in digital cameras are the CCD (the resolution) and the optics. Anything else, it can be argued, are just extra bells and whistles.

Start with choosing the resolution you want and the type of optics. THEN start looking at the add-on features.

If you REALLY want to take video, then save up and get a digital Cam corder. They start around $400 and go up from there.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    if you're not too hung up on the movie option, i bought a Canon Elph S100 and it is amazing!! the size is so small and the fact that it's encased in a stainless steel body allows me to carry it all the time (more than my visor!). The picture quality is great, it uses CF cards and it does have the option to take (don't quote me...look it up for exact numbers) 4 shots a second for a somewhat movie capability (combine the photos with some free software to create an animated gif or avi...www.shareware.com has the software).

Otherwise this little thing is great! it's rugged and takes great pictures and is about the size of a playing card and not too thick.
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    Originally posted by BEN
    Fixitgal, (or anybody who knows)

Can you use any CF card with the kodak camera, or do you have to use the kdak brand cards?

BEN
    You can use any brand of CF card in the Kodak. I also use Kodak CF cards in my Canon. The 64 MB cards are the best buy IMHO.
    "When I am Empress...Heads will roll!"
    Queen of Parts
    Originally posted by EricG
    I have an Olympus 450z and I love it, the 460z is really nice (the model replaced the 450z) my father inlaw, my cousins, my sister's boyfriend, and a buddy of mine all have the 460z. The got theirs after using my 450z.
    If you're thinking of the 460, also consider the 490. The 490 is a 2.1 megapixel versus the 460's 1.2 megapixel. Plus the 490 can take QuickTime movies that 460 can't take. The 490 retails for $100 more.

yeah, i wrote that ...
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Hoser_in_USA
    [B]if you're not too hung up on the movie option, i bought a Canon Elph S100 and it is amazing!! the size is so small and the fact that it's encased in a stainless steel body allows me to carry it all the time (more than my visor!).

Question.... it seems people in general here like the smart media for extra mem... using memplug to Cf.... yet a lot of camera's seem to use CF.... I do not have either as of yet... but I was also going to get a =MP3 player... and I was hoping with Camera, Visor Plat... and the MP3 .... I could get just one memory type.... is this unrealistic?
    Austin, Texas