1.    #1  
    I'm doing a a project for my school and we are planing on including a local search engine to our site and to a database in Access. We are trying to find ways to built this engine the fastest we can. Anybody could give me a hint or a link where I could reuse some code or get good ideas for the implementation.

Thanks

Al
    I can't give you help on the access part, but GOOGLE has a search engine you can use for personal sites. IT works pretty well. as for access.. that's hard. I'm almost positive Visual Basic 6 and above has a plug in that lets you make Active X objects for searcing Access databases.. oh well.. /me hate Active X
    Last edited by miradu; 04/07/2001 at 07:41 PM.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Miradu:

Ok, I'll admit it...clever use of color

acajigas:

You'll want to learn ASP (or a similiar scripting languate, such as ColdFusion) and use that to interface with the database. Some things to consider.

1) Do you NEED a search engine? If the site isn't that big, it can be preferable both for the end-user and web site owner to use good navigation and perhaps a site map.

2) If the site is LARGE, you probably don't want to use Access. Look into an SQL server for better performance.

3) Is the site, itself, contained in the database? In otherwords, are you developing a database-driven web site where the content of the site is stored in the database? If so, then you definitely want to switch to a different database system. If not, then I'm not too sure how practical the search database would be.

4) Does your school have Filemaker Pro? If so, Filemaker has a built in web-server, making a quick and (relatively) easy way to get a database driven site online.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by miradu2000
    I can't give you help on the access part, but GOOGLE has a search engine you can use for personal sites. IT works pretty well. as for access.. that's hard. I'm almost positive Visual Basic 6 and above has a plug in that lets you make Active X objects for searcing Access databases.. oh well.. /me hate Active X
    Don't let the Color stuff go to your head mike The Rest of us don't need cheep tricks to get attention or make our ponts clear. :

You can use VB5 or VB6 to do the ActiveX things that you would need. Don't ask me where to find the right code, but I know that it can be done.

sam
    Sam Kleinman

PocketPCThoughts.com
    CollectiveArts
    Free-ePress
    Musings of a Teal Artist
    CollectiveArts TechMusings

"Everybody don't like something and we all don't like you." -- Richard Thompson, Hard Luck Stories
    Remember that ActiveX is fairly useless for internet applications being run on the browser-end UNLESS you know that 100 percent of your viewing audience is on Windows.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne