1.    #1  
    Virtualization with a twist.
  2.    #2  
    FWIW
    Excerpt:
    "Parallels, a software company that specializes in enabling Mac users to run other operating systems without rebooting, has released an update to its trademark Parallels Desktop software.

The biggest update to the new version is Coherence, a feature that enables Mac users running Parallels to run and access Windows applications from their Mac desktops via virtualization rather than switching between operating systems.

The feature is activated when a user turns on "Coherence mode," which hides the Windows desktop and integrates Windows applications into the Mac OS X desktop and application dock."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Parallels is gaining quite a following and some reviews say it's very fast. I understand the above to mean that one can run Windows apps and they will be totally integrated into OSX. That sounds like a pretty neat trick (devil in the details). I'm pretty sure this functionality will be extended to Vista (M.S. is evidently allowing virtualization software to work only with the Ultimate version of Windows, for now AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK).
    Last edited by copernicus; 03/01/2007 at 07:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    FWIW
    Excerpt:
    "Parallels, a software company that specializes in enabling Mac users to run other operating systems without rebooting, has released an update to its trademark Parallels Desktop software.

The biggest update to the new version is Coherence, a feature that enables Mac users running Parallels to run and access Windows applications from their Mac desktops via virtualization rather than switching between operating systems.

The feature is activated when a user turns on "Coherence mode," which hides the Windows desktop and integrates Windows applications into the Mac OS X desktop and application dock."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Parallels is gaining quite a following and some reviews say it's very fast. I understand the above to mean that one can run Windows apps and they will be totally integrated into OSX. That sounds like a pretty neat trick (devil in the details). I'm pretty sure this functionality will be extended to Vista (M.S. is evidently allowing virtualization software to work only with the Ultimate version of Windows, for now AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK).
    It still can't run games, right? You still need Bootcamp for games.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  4.    #4  
    I'm not sure about the games, many of them have always been difficult for virtualization (emulation) software of this type (VMWare etc.). Times are changing, things are getting faster, and it's possible that many games will run. I imagine it will have its share of bugs as well, but the little I know about Parallels is that it is very progressive. I am a little behind in this area but am not at all sure any other company does the type of integration that "Coherence mode" claims it can accomplish. I need to see it before I really believe it though...

A dual boot with Bootcamp will almost certainly offer at least a somewhat faster and less buggy experience with Windows for the forseeable future.
    Last edited by copernicus; 03/03/2007 at 12:49 AM.