Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I love our CompUSA...I hope it doesn't go away.

the article also said that Circuit City is closing 70 stores too: http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...&from=business
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    I love our CompUSA...I hope it doesn't go away.

the article also said that Circuit City is closing 70 stores too: http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...&from=business
    I feel the same way, it's hard to buy a computer or a screen without looking at it first. These stores offer us a chance to touch the merchandise, something that cannot be done online.
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    I feel the same way, it's hard to buy a computer or a screen without looking at it first. These stores offer us a chance to touch the merchandise, something that cannot be done online.
    But, but are we touching them and then going back home and buying them online?
    Here on Oahu, Hi, we have two CompUSA stores, 2 Circuit City and I believe one Best Buy. Of the stores, I prefer CompUSA. Hope they keep at least one open here. We are a "captive" audience.

Ben
    Glad to hear that some people have good experiences with CompUSA. The one in my town has the worst customer service of any retail outlet I've ever been unfortunate enough to visit. I finally got tired of trying to find someone to help me, or enough clerks working the register.

Good riddance.
    Gimme the P-Funk!
    No, we need more competition. I shop at Best Buy for a lot of tech stuff, but used to use CompUSA. And still do sometimes, they still have a better selection in some items. Sad to see Circuit City with problems too. If Best Buy becomes too big, we're going to have another monopoly, which I don't like!

Damn, they're closing ALL Chicago stores!!
    If CC closes too, all we'll be left with is BB!!
    http://www.suntimes.com/business/278...pusa01.article
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 03/02/2007 at 12:38 AM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs View Post
    Yup. We killed CompUSA.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs View Post
    I must admit to having done this too.
    Why do you take chances buying some things online? I can see SD cards and stuff like that, but higher priced merchandise should be bought in person with an in-store warranty. It's a big PITA to ship stuff back when it doesn't work.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    My local Compusa is staying, but I rarely buy from them except on Black Friday. I am lucky enough to have 4 Fry's Electronics within 25 miles of my home (1 is about a mile away) as well as Microcenter, Best Buy (crap) and Circuit City.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Looks like, as of today, they are closing all of the long island stores.

What a pity. They may have had the worst return policy in all of store-dom, but they often had things no-one else did.

I will miss them, but hope to take advantage of some sell-off prices.
    Visit My Blog

My website -- EsquireTech Solutions
    That was my question....has anyone seen any liquidation sales?
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Seems Long Island is liquidating.
    Visit My Blog

My website -- EsquireTech Solutions
    I guess I'll call and see if the stores have anything left around here too.

16. DTS
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    [COLOR="Navy"]If Best Buy becomes too big, we're going to have another monopoly, which I don't like!
    You don't like anything.
    My brother learned I was shopping for a new desktop and sent me an email this afternoon alerting me that Carlos Slim was closing half of his stores. I searched for stores near my ZIP and even the Ann Arbor store was no longer listed. I went to check for deals and although the windows are plastered with 20% discount signs, computers, cameras, and MP3 players were only 5% off, TVs and software 10%, and only limited misc. stuff was marked at 20%. A TV I'm looking at is the same sale price it was last Saturday. At one point, I asked a guy if only the windows were 20% off. CompUSA was the only real Apple computer dealer in town.

Discounts may improve each day or later, but since only some stores are closing, when it becomes cost-efficient, they'll just move the merchandise to other stores. The Lansing store is only an hour away.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Why do you take chances buying some things online? I can see SD cards and stuff like that, but higher priced merchandise should be bought in person with an in-store warranty. It's a big PITA to ship stuff back when it doesn't work.
    For some things like Software, it doesn't really matter where you buy it, except that using sites like www.pricegrabber.com will save you tons of money.

I have assembled 3 PC's at home from components bought from zipzoomfly.com and newegg.com. The assumption is that the failure rate of PC componenets is so small, that the $ saves makes up for that risk.

I would not buy things like monitors or cases on-line because I like to see the image (monitors) and the case layout with my own eyes before buying. Also, the chances of monitors (or items like scanners) needing returns are higher than say hard drives or motherboards.

Lastly, most mail order places still don't charge local taxes.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    My local CompUSA SUCKS..!!! Big time. They have the worst customer service. I once asked them to price match Sony style on an old Sony Clie, which was already discontinued anywhere and they happen to have one that was even an open box item and they said "NO" I asked them if they could at least sell it to me for less since they were selling it at their original price and they said "NO" I could not understand how they still wanted to sell an open box item at their original price knowing that the item was even discontinued everywhere. I left the store so pissed and wished they go broke for such a bad service.

A few months later I decided to go there to see what they had and happened to see an open compressed air can on a shelf and decided to spray my Clie just for giggles. And a SOB manager told me in front of my wife and son that I had to pay for the item because I have already opened it. I was in shocked and told him that the can was already opened when I saw it and he told me that next time I was going to have to pay for things that I open at the store. I could not believe what this MOFO was saying and told him again that it was already open and left the store really pissed and decided not to come back ever and ever again...!!

Al
  20.    #20  
    No, we need more competition...
    Certainly not less!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast