Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A couple years ago I was in my local CompUSA and inquired about Palm accessories (the PDA section was a total mess, looked like the remains of a 5-year-old's birthday party) and their employees directed me to a nearby Apple store.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTS View Post
    You don't like anything.
    If you have some kind of probem with me, would you like to spell it out?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Went to CompUSA yesterday, will be going back to look for more bargains. Lots of stuff is on sale!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    David Pogue feels the same way about CompUSA

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/...ng-of-compusa/
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    David Pogue feels the same way about CompUSA

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/...ng-of-compusa/
    Thanks for the post. That's five Bay Area stores getting the ax and an awful lot of the California stores.

I pretty much agree with Pogue's comments and would add that with Best Buy and Fry's not charging (in general) for re-stocking fees (CompUSA charged for almost everything), only people without access to these alternative outlets would buy much from CompUSA. Something that simple (ok, not so simple) can bring your business down. At any rate, as The Phone Diva mentioned, the lack of competition will most likely drive the street prices up. Maybe I can take advantage of the closeouts...
    Last edited by copernicus; 03/09/2007 at 11:26 AM.
    A banner in the Chicago store said they were the best performing CompUSA store for March 2006 in the region. Sad to see them go.

OK so a sign in a store isn't much, but it just reminds me that they had a great selection. Even now, they have so much stuff I can use! I hope they stay open at least through April!

I feel dumb being the only fan of CompUSA here, but their selection was still more diverse than Best Buy. Someone recommended MicroCenter as a decent replacement for CompUSA. If anyone knows who they are, they have a whole lot more than Best Buy too, from what I remember. There's a CDW too, but they seem limited from what I remember and the prices are high.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 03/09/2007 at 11:28 PM.

We have a Micro Center here. I prefer them to most computer stores. Very liberal return policy, friendly staff.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Where do you find out what stores are closing? Are there any in the Atlanta area? I'm looking for a laptop, are they having deals on their higher-end stuff or will they just ship those things to the online store or the ones that are staying open?

Why am I asking so many questions???
    This was in the David Pogue article (which you didn't read .. Tsk Tsk)

http://www.compusa.com/locations/closing_stores.asp
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    I thought it was going to be about some guy ranting over the shame of CompUSA closing...sorry. Thanks for the repost!
    Pogue is quite funny. His video segments are worth a look.

http://www.davidpogue.com/
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    Where do you find out what stores are closing? Are there any in the Atlanta area? I'm looking for a laptop, are they having deals on their higher-end stuff or will they just ship those things to the online store or the ones that are staying open?

Why am I asking so many questions???
    Here is a link from the article posted by aprasad.
    Thanks guys...it was early on a Saturday morning when I skipped all the assigned reading material and posted. I'm awake now...

Hmmmm...

Upon reading David Pogue's article and his comments on the ridiculously high prices on CompUSA's merchandise, compared to internet sources and neighboring retail stores, would their sales even be worth checking out? If the mark-up is that high, the sale prices can't be much different than the regular prices other retailers provide. This is why I can't stand the "price matching" offered at Best Buy and places like that. Why wouldn't I give my business to the store that was smart enough to sell the product at a reasonable price in the first place. I feel like I'm at a swap meet, "Well, Circuit City has this for much less."
    Last edited by Christinac130; 03/10/2007 at 09:42 AM.
    They have normal retail prices for a lot of things though.

They actually have some stuff available that I could only find online, until I went down there to look.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12