Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Title says it all. I mainly play sports games. Not much into shooters.
    Any opinions? I've perused all the fan boy sites, but they are just that. Those guys can't get halfway into a thread without a flame war.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    I have a Wii, its great fun initially, but these days it doesn't get played much anymore. The Wii sports games are lovely and engaging, but eventually get boring. Apparently Tiger Woods golf is coming out soon, which will probably make good use of the controller. Ssx Blur may also be a relatively good fit. The controller can be frustrating however, as sometimes it can be wonderfully accurate in translating your intentions into movement on the screen, and other times (e.g. during th Wii boxing game) it can be a real exercise in frustration.

Having said all of that, the Wii probably brings you a lot closer to the sport in sport games than any of the other consoles does.

Surur
    I'm trying to decide the same thing. Except my kids are more into racing than sports. But they do play the basketball and football games...no guns! Does the Wii get old having to be so "in" the game, or is there a way to just play once in awhile? I like the idea of the Wii to get them off their butts, I just think sometimes, they would like to relax and just play...
    My Wii is of course mainly for my 9 year old daughter. She loves it, but seems to like the "Everyone votes" channel even more than the other games.

For the Wii you need a large screen and a lot of space, which kind of precludes a kids bedroom TV. My Wii is in my living room. Its great for playing in groups however, in fact its its main strength. The one racing game I bought (GT pro) for the Wii really sucked. I've heard excite truck is much better. The only third party Wii game I have finished so far is Raving rabbits, which was great. I have Zelda Twilight princess, which bored me to tears after the first 30 minutes, GT Pro, the Sponge bob game and Wii play, and I will probably get ssx blur soon.

Its OK, but after the first two weeks not really life changing.

Surur
  5.    #5  
    When I saw Tiger Woods coming out for the Wii, it peaked my interest. Otherwise I never would have considered it. I wonder if for me it would just be a one-trick pony.
    I suppose my two boys will eventually make use of it when they're older.
    With the Wii....as with any other console....often times it is the game that is more of the question than the console. Some games do better with the controls than others....just like any console. There are games for the Xbox that I am grateful was not my first impression.

Ever since we got our Wii for my son....I haven't stopped playing it. I haven't even touched our Xbox since Christmas. I cannot say enough about how much fun we personally...meaning my wife and I as adults...have had with our Wii. We personally find the Wii system natural to play (with some exceptions, but again this is due to the individual game development than from the console).

A few comments on the games mentioned here. I agree that GT Pro sucks, but Monster Truck is pretty fun....and I haven't tried tried Excite Truck yet. Wii Sports is more of a intro, or showing the potential of what Sport Games could be like, than any real sports game (though all of them are very addictive and a lot of fun). I personally cannot say enough about Zelda. My wife and I have been playing it together in the evenings after the kids are asleep and our current saved game is 43 hours with only about 80% done.

We have 11 Wii games (only paid full price for the orignal 3 and only paid around $30 for the rest of them along with several of them as gifts). Believe it or not, I don't have any sport ones yet beyond Wii Sports, though I would like and have read good reviews about Madden 07 for the Wii. Here is a review of Madden NFL 07 for the Wii that you might find interesting. I would like to see a good baseball game. Mario and his friends is coming out with a Soccer game for the Wii, if that counts as a sports game.

As far as space needed to play the Wii....that often depends on the game and more specifically the individual. We have not had an issue using it in my son's room, but with the internet browsing, weather, etc...we have also kept it in the Living Room at times on our 50 inch. Out of all of the games we have I found that I stand only when playing two of the games from Wii Sports....bowling and golf. For example I do not have any trouble playing Baseball, Tennis, Pool, Driving, Destroying everything in a house in Elebits (great game for Kids BTW), Ping Pong, Fighting (like sword play in Zelda), First Person Shooters (COD3), Air Hockey, or Boxing sitting down.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 03/02/2007 at 09:59 PM.
    [QUOTE=HobbesIsReal;1209711]
    A few comments on the games mentioned here. I agree that GT Pro sucks, but Monster Truck is pretty fun....and I haven't tried tried Excite Truck yet. Wii Sports is more of a intro, or showing the potential of what Sport Games could be like, than any real sports game (though all of them are very addictive and a lot of fun). I personally cannot say enough about Zelda. My wife and I have been playing it together in the evenings after the kids are asleep and our current saved game is 43 hours with only about 80% done.

As far as space needed to play the Wii....that often depends on the game and more specifically the individual. We have not had an issue using it in my son's room, but with the internet browsing, weather, etc...we have also kept it in the Living Room at times on our 50 inch. Out of all of the games we have I found that I stand only when playing two of the games from Wii Sports....bowling and golf. For example I do not have any trouble playing Baseball, Tennis, Pool, Driving, Ping Pong, Air Hockey, or Boxing sitting down.[/QUOTE]

This is what I was wondering about...thanks! I've only seen bowling and tennis played on the Wii and the players were actually sweating! We have the PS2 and the kids can spend hours trying to beat Need For Speed: Carbon and ATV Off Road Fury, but they don't stay interested in sports or Mario for very long.
    Christin....everyone plays the Wii their own way, like with any console....but I personally do find that the Wii is very intuitive and very natural for most of the time for me. I never really stop and think that I have move the controller much anymore at all. I play our Wii to wind down at night a lot.

There are others who cannot get over the fact that they have had to use their thumb on + pad to move a car all their life in a video game so they have a hard time using the controller like a real steering wheel. And on the flip side there are others who I have seen get so involved in the game that yes, they get very physically active even though it was not really needed.

The other key to the Wii that most do not realize or overlook is all the fun that we as a whole family have beyond just the games with all the different Wii Channels. Here is a post I made last month on aanother forum...uh hmm with the initials including Munk...:

Wii
    Hey anyone here have a Wii? I have the Wii system and I couldn't be happier with it. I was looking forward to it before it came out, but had so-so expectations for it. The Wii has been more fun than I ever thought possible.

I have to honestly say that we, as a family, have had more fun with it than we ever thought possible for a gaming system. Especially since a lot of the fun is not even related to the games, i.e.
    • browsing the web on a 50 inch TV,
    • creating and interacting with Miis,
    • fun with manipulating family pictures and having them in a with slide show with our favorite MP3s in background
    • Playing some of the nostalgic retro games I played as a kid with the Virtual Console channel
    • Spinning the globe to see the weather anywhere in the world
    • Voting in fun and silly survey questions and then predicting what most other people will say nationally or globally. It then tracks how you match up with your own opinions against everyone else and how accurate your predictions are.

I was also apprehensive before I bought the Wii that the motion aspect would be annoying after a while. Unless the game is just not made well, i.e. Rampage, it does nothing but add a lot more natural feel to it. I don't even realize I am moving it when I am playing half of the time.

I short I would recommend the Wii to anyone who likes gaming consoles in the least.

Miis
    If you have a Wii, then you I am sure you are already well aware of Miis. For those who don't have a Wii, a Mii is a character you can create that can act as a participant in several different games like Wii Sports or Wii Play. On the Mii Channel on your Wii your Mii's will also interact with each other as they live in and explore their own little world. Your Miis can also "travel" to other Wii systems you set up as friends and parade around. Creating Miis can be a lot of fun and strangely addictive.

For those that do not have Wii here is a flash Mii simulator. It is not exact, but it gives you an idea of what it is like to create a Mii on a Wii: http://www.joystiq.com/media/2006/10/mii.swf

Please share the Miis that you have created here for the rest of us to admire. Between creating family members, friends, just making up funny Miis, and creating celebrity Miis, we have around 45 Miis at the moment. Here are only some that I have created:

Jack Nicholson:

General Ackbar:

Princess Lea:

Stormtrooper:

The Goonies Guy:

Werewolf:

The other night my wife and I were challenging each other to make Miis. I challenged to make Chicken Little and she challenged me to make a C3P0. I think they both came out rather good, though I don't have a picture of them yet to share.

My Wii console number is 8096 7951 8477 0820
    please feel free to send a request from your Wii to add me as a friend.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 03/01/2007 at 09:08 PM.
    I actually laugh when I watch the kids...they twist and turn their heads and bodies with the controller like they're really driving a car. So, maybe the Wii would be the better choice. Have the prices gone down, yet? I noticed they were significantly less than the PS3 at Christmas.
    Nope....still $250, but as you said a lot lower than than the 360 or especially the PS3. Since supplies are getting back into the stores now, I am not sure what eBay is going for either.

eBay is the best place to buy games. I haven't paid more than $30 for a game after we bought our initial 3 for Christmas.
    Hobbes...

Did you add your post in the quote box about the Wii after your replied the first time, because I don't know how I could have missed all that when I responded, but I did

That was a great summary of your Wii experience and I had NO idea it could do so much more than just play games! I actually thought it cost a lot more than $250, so that's another big selling point... We have 65" and 50" TVs in the house, so I guess it will be a competition for who gets it...Mommy or the kids I can't imagine surfing the internet on something that big!
    Yea....I edited my post after I woke up this morning and added some other things.

Browsing the net is pretty cool. The Wii has built in WiFi, so it is dead easy to get connected if you have a wireless router. eBay works fine, my work OWA email works fine, TC works fine (I have even submitted posts here from my Wii), in fact with a few exceptions I have not had much of a problem with many websites on the Wii. Just an FYI...There are no restrictions, to kids can go to ANY website they want to and as far as I know there is not a log to review yet, but hopefully that will be included in the full version to be released in another month or two. (EDIT: many routers have adult filter options, so this may be the only way to monitor or control web browsing on the Wii). The on screen keyboard is okay for short notes or internet address, but if a wireless keyboard is offered, it will be a LOT nicer.

EDIT: If you do get a Wii, send my Wii an Friend invitation and then our Mii's can play together!
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 03/02/2007 at 10:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    Yea....I edited my post after I woke up this morning and added some other things.

I'm glad you clarified...I thought I was losin' it! Or, my eyes are much worse than I thought...

Browsing the net is pretty cool. The Wii has built in WiFi, so it is dead easy to get connected if you have a wireless router. eBay works fine, my work OWA email works fine, TC works fine (I have even submitted posts here from my Wii), in fact with a few exceptions I have not had much of a problem with many websites on the Wii.

Ahhhh...Now I HAVE to get it! TC on the big screen??

EDIT: If you do get a Wii, send my Wii an Friend invitation and then our Mii's can play together!
    I definitely will! I'm going to start looking for it this weekend. I had heard they would start restocking at the end of January, but when I've looked lately, there haven't been any available in the big chain stores
    Just call around to each specific location at your local Best Buy, TRU, Wal Mart, etc.... TRU (toys r us) and Circuit City have been getting shipments. Sometimes they cannot release the shipment until Sunday morning per Nintendo's directions. I just bought a 2nd Wii for my Parents (who fell in love with ours) two weeks ago. My local TRU and CC received over 45 units that week alone, though by the time I picked mine up at 11:00 am in the morning, there were going fast.
    Ack!!! I better start calling around soon. Why does Nintendo want them released on Sundays? Are they like iPods, as in the price is the same no matter where you get it from?
  16.    #16  
    seems like it.
    Gonna do it Christina?
    I think so...Hobbes has pretty much sold me Have you made a decision, yet?
  18.    #18  
    No, probably not until after tax returns.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercoffee1 View Post
    No, probably not until after tax returns.
    This is after tax returns for me...filed early

My daughter read this entire thread and is praising Hobbes for getting me to finally concede to the Wii. So to Hobbes from my daughter...

.............Remember to send me an invite from you Wii to ours and then you can download any of our Mii's to your system too.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 03/02/2007 at 01:12 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast