1.    #1  
    Newsweek Magazine’s frontline story is titled “Forgotten Heroes.” From the title you can imagine what the story is about, but it is worth reading. There’s a thread here about the real stars (the soldiers vs. the Hollywood’s ones ~ a.k.a. Oscars Night, and many other threads addressing the Iraq war). I thought this article galvanizes the attitude not necessarily ordinary citizens have about the so-called real stars, but our own government who sends them to fight. It is sobering. And shameful.

Click to read.
    Shameful indeed. VA has been underfunded for decades.

And this is the government health care we can all expect if Hillary gets her way.

(Gratutitous Dem bash free of charge.)
    Shortchanging the VA at a time when we are at war, shameful is the only way to describe it.

http://www.vawatchdog.org/07/nf07/nf...nf022707-9.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    Shortchanging the VA at a time when we are at war, shameful is the only way to describe it.

http://www.vawatchdog.org/07/nf07/nf...nf022707-9.htm
    Unfortunately, the shortchanging has been going on for a long time. If we agree on nothing else about this war (or about healthcare for that matter), let us agree that any service man or woman wounded in defense of this country should be given the finest care possible.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever View Post
    And this is the government health care we can all expect if Hillary gets her way.

Not me.

(Gratuitous remember-this-is-an-international-forum bash free of charge.)
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Shameful indeed. VA has been underfunded for decades.

Or if Republicans de-fund the government some more and return more of our tax dollars to us (sarcasm on).

By the way, I bet a vast majority of the un-insured would rather have the VA benefit health care (however poor that may be) than what they have now.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  7.    #7  
    ...And this is the government health care we can all expect if Hillary gets her way.
    Hillary didn’t start this war and she’s being blamed for the state of the Iraq war wounded vets?
    Quote Originally Posted by impish View Post
    Hillary didn’t start this war and she’s being blamed for the state of the Iraq war wounded vets?
    No, it was just an opportunistic jab at universal healthcare.
    An accurate jab at that. Why would anyone thing the average American suffering from the hearbreak of psoriasis would be treated better than a wounded war veteran?

I just read where the head man at Walter Reed got the axe. Good.
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    Or if Republicans de-fund the government some more and return more of our tax dollars to us (sarcasm on).

By the way, I bet a vast majority of the un-insured would rather have the VA benefit health care (however poor that may be) than what they have now.
    The VA has been underfunded for decades. Decades is longer than Bush has been in office.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs View Post
    Unfortunately, the shortchanging has been going on for a long time.
    Shortchanging the VA at the time of war when tens of thousands of new troop casualties are being generated has been going on since 2003 and seems to be projected for coming years by the Bush admin budget as well.
    http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan.../D8N8BJ5G0.htm

Also, has the commander of Walter Reed ever been fired for gross negligence before? Nope, correct me if I am wrong, but this appears to be the worst lack of oversight on military healthcare ever.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/...ap3476499.html

Quote Originally Posted by hoovs View Post
    If we agree on nothing else about this war (or about healthcare for that matter), let us agree that any service man or woman wounded in defense of this country should be given the finest care possible.
    I agree with that hoovs. Beyond that, I would not begrudge VA health care for anyone who served our country during active duty. Risking your their life in defense of our country deserves some decent health care, not just a hooray for the troops and the current lousy VA benefits.

Tax cuts are not as important as taking care of our honored vets.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 03/01/2007 at 05:37 PM.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    No, it was just an opportunistic jab at universal healthcare.
    lol. I understood that but I couldn't resist the temptation since Hillary appears to be a great scapegoat for so many.
    The VA has been underfunded for decades. Decades is longer than Bush has been in office.
    So, should "starve the beast" conservatives like Grover Norqvist be allowed to under-fund it even more?
    Would you accept tax increase (or not renew Bush's tax cuts) to fund the VA?

The problem is conservatives want to have their government benefits and cut taxes. Oh well.. we always have our great great grandkids to borrow from...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  14.    #14  
    Here's the thing. Bush is the current president. He can make a stand and do something about the state-of-affair of the VA condition (chiefly because he resides over the Iraq war). Surly he's not to be blamed (entirely) for the healthcare system and the VA, but he needs to take some responsibility and show leadership on this issue. It behooves me that we pore a trillion dollars (or more) into this war and we can't take care of the soldiers returning from it: wounded or not!
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    Tax cuts are not as important as taking care of our honored vets.
    Agreed; but not that they're mutually exclusive. I would even go so far as to say that I would happily pay a tax increase if it could be guaranteed to be applied to VA benefits. However, I would also welcome any tax cut to pay me back for supporting a bloated, overly-bureaucratic and overpaid government.
    We've mixed apples and oranges here. Walter Reed is a US Army hospital...not VA.
    So, should "starve the beast" conservatives like Grover Norqvist be allowed to under-fund it even more?
    Would you accept tax increase (or not renew Bush's tax cuts) to fund the VA?

The problem is conservatives want to have their government benefits and cut taxes. Oh well.. we always have our great great grandkids to borrow from...
    I would want to see money moved from pork barrel projects.
    I would want to see money moved from pork barrel projects.
    Amen.

But believe it or not, pork is a very very small part of govt expenses. They grab the headlines, but even if you eliminate all pork and waste, the govt will not be on fiscally sound basis. Most of the spending is on "entitlements".

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17083618/site/newsweek/

The citizens need to decide.. we can get fund govt programs, get rid of govt programs (which one's?), or borrow from our kids.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Amen.

But believe it or not, pork is a very very small part of govt expenses. They grab the headlines, but even if you eliminate all pork and waste, the govt will not be on fiscally sound basis. Most of the spending is on "entitlements".

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17083618/site/newsweek/

The citizens need to decide.. we can get fund govt programs, get rid of govt programs (which one's?), or borrow from our kids.
    I think there's a third option: fund limited government programs. No more generational welfare (yeah, yeah, I would add corporate wlefare to that as well). Currently, far too many are riding the welfare gravy train on both sides of the system -- those who get the checks and those who give the checks. But the welfare program should be a self-limiting service--run by a department whose main objective is to make itself as unnecessary as possible. The fact that former welfare recipients are actually courted back to the system is a shame!
  20.    #20  
    This article appeared in the Wall Street Journal today. I am submitting it in full because you have to be a paid member to read it online.

Bush Starts Veterans-Care Probe;
    Army Secretary Harvey Resigns
    Associated Press
    March 2, 2007 9:04 p.m.
    WASHINGTON -- Army Secretary Francis J. Harvey resigned Friday as the Bush administration dealt with the fallout from a scandal over substandard conditions for wounded Iraq soldiers at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

The surprise move came one day after Mr. Harvey fired the two-star general in charge of the medical center in response to disclosures of problems at the hospital compound. Mr. Harvey had been the Army secretary since November 2004.

"I am disappointed that some in the Army have not adequately appreciated the seriousness of the situation pertaining to outpatient care at Walter Reed," Defense Secretary Robert Gates said in the Pentagon briefing room. He took no questions from reporters. The Army announced Friday that Maj. Gen. Eric Schoomaker, 58 years old, will be the new commander of Walter Reed.

Earlier, President Bush ordered a comprehensive review of conditions at the nation's military and veteran hospitals in the wake of the scandal. The White House said the president would name a bipartisan commission to assess whether the problems at Walter Reed existed at other facilities.

The action came after the Washington Post documented squalid living conditions for some outpatient soldiers at Walter Reed and bureaucratic problems that prevented many troops from getting adequate care.

Mr. Bush devoted his weekly radio address -- to be broadcast on Saturday -- to the problems of veterans' care, and the White House took the unusual step of releasing excerpts in advance. The full text also was to be released later Friday. The administration's response came amid growing outrage about the poor treatment of some veterans -- and the prospect that it could backfire on the White House.

"One of my most solemn experiences as president is visiting men and women recovering from wounds they suffered in defense of country," Mr. Bush said in his prepared address. "Spending time with these wounded warriors is also inspiring because so many of them bring the same courage they showed on the battlefield to their battle for recovery."

A day earlier, the Pentagon announced the firing of Army Maj. Gen. George W. Weightman, the commander of Walter Reed. In a brief announcement, the Army said service leaders had "lost trust and confidence" in Maj. Gen. Weightman's leadership abilities "to address needed solutions for soldier outpatient care." It said the decision to fire him was made by Army Secretary Francis J. Harvey.

Mr. Bush, in his radio address, said he had asked Mr. Gates to make a firsthand assessment of conditions at Walter Reed. "He confirmed to me there are real problems at Walter Reed and he has taken action to hold people accountable, including relieving the general in charge of the facility.

"As we work to improve conditions at Walter Reed, we are also taking steps to find out whether similar problems have occurred at other military and veteran hospitals," the president said. "We will use the commission's recommendations as part of our ongoing effort to improve our service to our nation's veterans," Mr. Bush said.

The commission to be named by Mr. Bush is separate from a review panel appointed by Mr. Gates to investigate outpatient care at Walter Reed and the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda. The presidential panel will look at all of the nation's military and veteran facilities, according to White House deputy press secretary Dana Perino.