1.    #1  
    To the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Civilians of Multi-National Force-Iraq:

We serve in iraq at a critical time. The war here will soon enter its fifth year. A decisive moment approaches. Shoulder-to-shoulder with our Iraqi comrades, we will conduct a pivotal campaign to improve security for the Iraqi people. The stakes could not be higher.

Our task is crucial. Security is essential for Iraq to build its future. Only with security can the Iraqi government come to grips with the tough issues it confronts and develop the capacity to serve its citizens. The hopes of the Iraqi people and the coalition countries are with us.

The enemies of Iraq will shrink at no act, however barbaric. They will do all that they can to shake the confidence of the people and to convince the world that this effort is doomed. We must not underestimate them.

Together with our Iraqi partners, we must defeat those who oppose the new Iraq. We cannot allow mass murderers to hold the initiative. We must strike them relentlessly. We and our Iraqi partners must set the terms of the struggle, not our enemies. And together we must prevail.

The way ahead will not be easy. There will be difficult times in the months to come. But hard is not hopeless, and we must remain steadfast in our effort to help improve security for the Iraqi people. I am confident that each of you will fight with skill and courage, and that you will remain loyal to your comrades-in-arms and to the values our nations hold so dear.

In the end, Iraqis will decide the outcome of this struggle. Our task is to help them gain the time they need to save their country. To do that, many of us will live and fight alongside them. Together we will face down the terrorirsts, insurgents, and criminals who slaughter the innocent. Success will require discipline, fortitude, and initiative — qualities that you have in abundance.

I appreciate your sacrifices and those of your families. Now, more than ever, your commitment to service and your skill can make the difference between victory and defeat in a very tough mission.

It is an honor to soldier again with the members of the Multi-National Force-Iraq. I know that wherever you serve in this undertaking you will give your all. In turn, I pledge my commitment to our mission and every effort to achieve success as we help the Iraqis chart a course to a brighter future.

Godspeed to each of you and to our Iraqi comrades in this crucial endeavor.

David H. Petraeus
    General, United States Army
    Commanding
    Welcome back 1911. Screw our political differences, putting your life on the line for America and showing the courage of your convictions that is true patriotism. Have some fun with that family of yours and that truck, you deserve it.

Edit: I almost forgot to repsond to your post. This surge thing is going to go on, and while I question it, I truly do hope for the best. I think it is Bush and Cheney's last shot at this. If things just keep getting worse, as they are doing, then I predict its going to usher in a democrat in the white house and a lot more democrats in congress, which I know you would not be thrilled with. And they will pull the plug on this.

I agree with that comment from the general "in the end the Iraqis will decide the outcome of this struggle".
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 02/28/2007 at 04:41 PM.
    Things are getting worse since the troop increase?
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    Things are getting worse since the troop increase?
    We will have to wait to see, as according to the proposed time table the troop increase will not be complete until later this year.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...iraq_orbat.htm
    Well, I know not all Democrats would truly be a part of it, but in general, the more Ds in the D/R ratio, the more likely the country will fall from within. He||, just look at how we got into this mess.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    We will have to wait to see, as according to the proposed time table the troop increase will not be complete until later this year.
    So later this year the troop level will be back to the number it was about a year ago. How is this going to make a big difference?

(This question is not directed to cellmatrix, but to the Pro-Bush camp and those who continue defend his policies)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever View Post
    To the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Civilians of Multi-National Force-Iraq:

We serve in iraq at a critical time. The war here will soon enter its fifth year. A decisive moment approaches. Shoulder-to-shoulder with our Iraqi comrades, we will conduct a pivotal campaign to improve security for the Iraqi people.
    An impressive speech, with a very week point: it relies heavily on the Iraqi people. For an American, it may be obvious that there is such a thing as "Iraqi" people - just as Americans are the people living in the US of America.

However, this most likely is not the case: there are Kurds who have been living happily in independence for many years and who have been trying to establish their own state for decades or centuries. There are Shiites who have been killed by the thousands by the Sunni rulers following their uprising. And there is the Sunni minority who has a lot to lose...

Then there is Shiite Iran who has no interest in supporting the US and the "Iraqi" state, the Sunni Saudi-Arabia who will not tolerate the Sunni in Iraq losing the struggle for power totally, etc. ...

I guess too many Americans simply don't take into consideration that there may be no such thing as an "Iraqi" people or an "Iraqi" army...
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup View Post
    ...I guess too many Americans simply don't take into consideration that there may be no such thing as an "Iraqi" people or an "Iraqi" army...
    Perhaps. On the other hand, maybe there are still enough Americans who understand that the taste of liberty emboldens one to bear the cost of the same, seeing as how achieving our own was not done without much blood-shed--both in staking the claim for it (American Revolution) and in learning to exercise it (Civil War).
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EDIT: This is not provided as an endorsement or even a comment on the Administration's policy, but just one "American's" pespective.
    Last edited by shopharim; 03/01/2007 at 11:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    Perhaps. On the other hand, maybe there are still enough Americans who understand that the taste of liberty emboldens one to bear the cost of the same, seeing as how achieving our own was not done without much blood-shed--both in staking the claim for it (American Revolution) and in learning to exercise it (Civil War).
    What "liberty" are you referring to in Iraq?
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    What "liberty" are you referring to in Iraq?
    I see two liberties:

1. Liberated from rule of brutal dictator (said in full appeciation that the brutality did come with relative calm and predicatability for the masses)
    2. Liberty to craft their own future

NOTE: I understand the perspective observing that the people may not have saught such liberties, or may not have been prepared for them. That notwithstanding, both liberties are present.
  11.    #11  
    Cell,
    Thanks for the welcome back!

Shop...yeah, there's nothing quite like relative calm and predictable brutality. (Though I understand and appreciate what you're saying.)

Has anyone on the anti-side of this considered that Saddam by now, via "Food for Oil", would have completely worked his way around the UN sanctions? That one day Uday or Qusay would be king? Is anyone on the anti side considered what will happen to US credibility...or do they think that a defeat would enhance our world standing?

Bush Derangement Syndrome manifests itself in many strange ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    I see two liberties:

1. Liberated from rule of brutal dictator (said in full appeciation that the brutality did come with relative calm and predicatability for the masses)
    2. Liberty to craft their own future

NOTE: I understand the perspective observing that the people may not have saught such liberties, or may not have been prepared for them. That notwithstanding, both liberties are present.
    I think the main issue with that line of thought is that there isn't a single group "Iraqi" seeking that liberty. The majority population which was the most oppressed will seek a gov't which will NOT look anything like a Jeffersonian democracy and will align itself strongly with Iran.