1.    #1  
    I have a problem, well more of a puzzle than a problem, and I am hoping all the smart folks here may be able to point me in the right direction.

Here it is in a nutshell.
    My company uses Exchange and we all use the webmail version of outlook. Has calendar and tasks and all that stuff.

Manager sends out our schedule in an excel spreadsheet. This is emailed and printed out for everyone to use. Lots of emails and printouts every time there is a change.

My question involves an idea I had. Why the hell would we need to do it this way when we all have a perfectly usable calendar app right there at our finger tips? What I am searching for is a way to use the exchange/outlook combo to create the schedule in one place that can easily distributed to the employees personal calendars. Then we have one email notifying the group there has been a change and the changes are automatically populated in the calendars.

I just cant fathom the idea that we are not using exchange to do this sort of thing. Printing and emailing schedule after schedule (sometimes it changes 3 times in a week) is just so inefficient, at least to me.

I know there are lots of smart people on this board in a variety of fields and I am hoping someone here can help me figure this out or at least point in the right direction.

thanks
    Suggestion from a simple exchange user (I am sure there are more sophisticated/complicated solutions, also not sure what type of meetings your schedule contains):

- Create a new user called "Schedule" or something rather
    - Put all the common meetings/appointments into that calendar
    - Invite everybody who needs to attend to the meetings of the user "Schedule"

You don't even need to have a separate user "Schedule", just invite everybody necessary to the meetings, if something is changed later, all participants will be informed automatically.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    How good is your relationship with your manager? If she or he is uncomfortable or unfamiliar with Exchange you might need to find a non-threatening ego-less way to introduce the idea. I've seen my friends get whiplash from making these kinds of suggestions. Perhaps you should start using Exchange for work meetings of your own and let your Manager "discover" the idea.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup View Post
    Suggestion from a simple exchange user (I am sure there are more sophisticated/complicated solutions, also not sure what type of meetings your schedule contains):

- Create a new user called "Schedule" or something rather
    - Put all the common meetings/appointments into that calendar
    - Invite everybody who needs to attend to the meetings of the user "Schedule"

You don't even need to have a separate user "Schedule", just invite everybody necessary to the meetings, if something is changed later, all participants will be informed automatically.
    thanks for the tip.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by puyi View Post
    How good is your relationship with your manager? If she or he is uncomfortable or unfamiliar with Exchange you might need to find a non-threatening ego-less way to introduce the idea. I've seen my friends get whiplash from making these kinds of suggestions. Perhaps you should start using Exchange for work meetings of your own and let your Manager "discover" the idea.
    I am not looking for a politically correct way to introduce the idea. I am looking for how to accomplish it. Presenting it is the least of my worries until I know what I am presenting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    I am not looking for a politically correct way to introduce the idea.
    Why am I not surprised?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    Woof, thought I'd be more clear. My stray thought about "friends" getting in a jam is misleading. It is possible that if the idea of Exchange is not introduced properly to the Manager, he or she simply won't adopt it. That's a real consideration, don't you think?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup View Post
    Why am I not surprised?
    LOL, I have missed these little chats.
  9.    #9  
    Woof, thought I'd be more clear. My stray thought about "friends" getting in a jam is misleading. It is possible that if the idea of Exchange is not introduced properly to the Manager, he or she simply won't adopt it. That's a real consideration, don't you think?
    Right you are, but until I know how to accomplish my goal I am not going to worry how to present it. If I can go to management (at any level) and present my idea and the solution of how it is accomplished, it may be worth doing.

I will not even mention it until I can show them a working example. It would be n utter waste of time.

We already have the Exchange server in use, but are not utilizing many of it functions/features (at least it sure seems that way). It seems to me if I can save all of us time and headache by adopting a better use of existing tools, it will be a good thing. My management is very receptive to this sort of thing. I know it will at least be considered if I have something to show them.

All comments ideas are appreciated folks. Please keep em coming.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Create a calendar in Public Folders and give permissions for everyone to view, and edit permissions to those that need to make changes. As long as it is kept up to date, anyone looking at it will have the latest info.
    Tim
    Using MotoQ on Sprint
    Supporting Treo 650's, 700P's and MotoQ's on Sprint and Verizon.
    Good Admin too
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    Microsoft has ceased development of public folders; there is limited functionality compared to a normal Exchange user and any Outlook desktop client is very slow to access Public Folders, even with cached mode enabled.

You might be better off creating a universal user (maybe "test" for this purpose). Allow sharing of test's entire folder tree to yourself and one or two other advanced users. From a desktop client users with sharing privileges have access to test's Contacts, Tasks, Calendar etc.

Your Manager can then send appointments on behalf of test user to required, optional and resource Contacts (employees and outside vendors usually). The recipients can then accept these meeting "requests" and each individual's calendar will be updated.

There's additional benefits, Contacts can be copied to another Exchange user's Contacts database, and conversely another user with access priveleges can search another user's Contacts and save to their own database.

Exchange is great provided you can get users to adopt it's use, particularly on the desktop
    because it is most feature rich.

A lot of this you may already use or know so apologies in advance if I'm redundant.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Microsoft has ceased development of public folders; there is limited functionality compared to a normal Exchange user and any Outlook desktop client is very slow to access Public Folders, even with cached mode enabled.
    MS MAY be ceasing developement of Public Folders, but what he has right now supports it.

From MS's web site

Q. What is happening with Public Folders?
    A. Public Folders are included and supported in Exchange Server 2007. Microsoft has communicated that future releases of Exchange Server may not include public folders. If you use Public Folders, read the Exchange Team Blog on the topic of public folders for more guidance. http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/20...20/419994.aspx

I'm not quite sure where you get the idea that accessing public folders is slow, and also, cached mode would have no effect on it, as cached mode only pertains to the mailbox. I basically gave him the easiest solution to his problem.

Here at my office we have several calendars in public folders (one each for a couple of different departments). The only people that can edit or add anything to them are the people that are supposed to. Everyone else can open the calendar at any time, and see what is on the schedule.

Of course the other option is for everyone to use their own calendar in Outlook. All of your free/busy data is published across the Exchange environment by default. Anyone trying to schedule a meeting with you would be able to see if you are free or busy (but not what you have scheduled), and set the appointment accordingly. But I digress...

If you just want to have one calendar that everyone can see, and only one or two people update, then Public Folders is the way to go. PM me if you need help setting it up.
    Tim
    Using MotoQ on Sprint
    Supporting Treo 650's, 700P's and MotoQ's on Sprint and Verizon.
    Good Admin too