Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    at&t iPhone3G

that was actually quite moving...
    I couldn't agree more! Thanks for posting that.
    I find this odd and only serving to appeal to extremist political viewpoints in which Hollywood is leftist and doesn't appreciate the sacrifice of U.S. military service.

Besides the fact that Letters from Iwo Jima shows the ultimate sacrifice of the soldier regardless of the conflict and "your side". Along with the fact that there were two documentaries attempting to explain post invasion Iraq and the situation we have placed our Military people in.

So although your point that our military personel are truly Stars is great, no need to be divisive while making it. And try to do your best to get our people out of there but if you feel we should stay, be sure to support conscription so we share the load for this across socio-economic classes.
    I only see one divisive post in this thread.

Just appreciate it for what it is daT.
    I too don't see what the tribute to the soldiers have to do with Oscars. They are stars on ANY night.

Why not post this on the SuperBowl, Grammy's, NBA finals, sweet 16 (every game) etc etc?

If you hate Hollywood so much, stop seeing their movies.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I can imagine the same video with any people on any side of any war holding there weapons and being human .
    Heros and victims
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    I too don't see what the tribute to the soldiers have to do with Oscars. They are stars on ANY night.

Why not post this on the SuperBowl, Grammy's, NBA finals, sweet 16 (every game) etc etc?

If you hate Hollywood so much, stop seeing their movies.
    Because I didn't have it on the SuperBowl, Grammy's, NBA finals, sweet 16( everygam) etc etc! aprasad...don't look to deep into things. I don't hate Hollywood, I just don't worship them. The way you shot up in Hollywoods defense like this thread is so wrong, I wonder about you...probably eating popcorn glued to the couch fantasizing and watching the awards. There was a time in this world where being a soldier, knight, gladiator, etc was like celebrity and loved by their people so books even though war is wrong, fairy tales and other passages have been recorded in hystory to make these individuals timeless and remembered. Today, we love watching actors play the roles of these hystorical characters and the actors are quite wealthy because of it and their star shines so bright in our culture, and the real soldiers today are kept in our thoughts and prayers but they don't shine nearly as bright...and are stars on the flag should be allowed to come home and not waste anymore lives.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    There was a time in this world where being a soldier, knight, gladiator, etc was like celebrity ...
    There was a time in this country when military service was spread equally across all of society.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    There was a time in this country when military service was spread equally across all of society.
    True...

at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by byronchurch View Post
    I can imagine the same video with any people on any side of any war holding there weapons and being human .
    That can only mean that you don't find anything special about what our troops are doing over there. Is this right?
    Really? When was that?
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs View Post
    Really? When was that?
    "After WWII the selective service act was passed in 1948 that required all men between 18 and 26 register and that made men from 19 to 26 liable for induction for 21 months' service, which would be followed by 5 years of reserve duty."
    That can only mean that you don't find anything special about what our troops are doing over there. Is this right?
    I believe the point is that military sacrifice by anyone is a very "special" service to one's country.
    Yes, occupying another country is very unusual these days.

Surur
    "After WWII the selective service act was passed in 1948 that required all men between 18 and 26 register and that made men from 19 to 26 liable for induction for 21 months' service, which would be followed by 5 years of reserve duty."
    Sorry, daT, I'm not reading in between the lines very well today. Can you expand on what you mean by this post?
    Sorry, daT, I'm not reading in between the lines very well today. Can you expand on what you mean by this post?
    This is in response to your question of when miitary service was more equally distributed societally.
    I believe the point is that military sacrifice by anyone is a very "special" service to one's country.
    But what's the point behind that point?
    This is in response to your question of when miitary service was more equally distributed societally.
    But selective service is still in place.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast