1.    #1  
    Well, the cable bill finally hit $50 a month...time to look into satellite. Anyone have any advice on whether to go with DirecTV or DishNetwork?

I'd like to have one TV hooked up for now, but maybe add a second one down the road. I'm not really interested in movie channels (as I will be signing up for NetFlix as well).

Dishnetwork is a bit cheaper, and they have the high-speed internet access...which I am NOT going to use now (I have DSL) but, someday would like to switch from (go off of the phone and cable 'grid').

Neither of the companies offer extensive local channels, so I will probably stick with the antennae on the roof for those. Does that work well?

Any advice on a receiver/tuner? I noticed that you can usually find DirecTV hardware pretty much anywhere, but I've never seen DishNetwork stuff in stores.

Does TIVO work with Satellite connections? Are there any combo TIVO/Satellite Receivers?

Thanks!
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    UltimateTV from Microsoft (TIVO clone) works with the DirectTV hardware. (http://www.ultimatetv.com/)

From the TIVO website:
    If you currently subscribe to, or are considering digital satellite entertainment services, the DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo seamlessly integrates the TiVo Service with DIRECTV programming-all in one easy-to-use product, available from both Philips and Sony.
    I don't know about Dish.

-Eric
    Originally posted by homer
    Well, the cable bill finally hit $50 a month...time to look into satellite. Anyone have any advice on whether to go with DirecTV or DishNetwork?
    Never tried Dish, but I'm happier with DirecTV than I was with cable.

I'd like to have one TV hooked up for now, but maybe add a second one down the road. I'm not really interested in movie channels (as I will be signing up for NetFlix as well).
    Make sure to get a dual-LNB dish from the get-go, then.

Dishnetwork is a bit cheaper, and they have the high-speed internet access...which I am NOT going to use now (I have DSL) but, someday would like to switch from (go off of the phone and cable 'grid').
    Well, DirecTV does have an high-speed internet package also (directpc.com), but satellite internet doesn't get you off the phone grid. Only the downstream feed is from the satellites. The upstream stuff still needs a phone line (there's a modem built into the set-top box).

Neither of the companies offer extensive local channels, so I will probably stick with the antennae on the roof for those. Does that work well?
    Works OK for me, and I'm quite a way from the nearest antenna feed. My personal favorite antenna choice is the Terk TV42 ( http://www.terk.com/tv/product/tv4142.html ). Comes with everything a satellite owner needs.

Any advice on a receiver/tuner? I noticed that you can usually find DirecTV hardware pretty much anywhere, but I've never seen DishNetwork stuff in stores.
    Well, I personally preferred the look and feel of the Sony stuff, but that's more individual preference than anything else. For Dish ( http://www.dishnetwork.com/search/retailer/index.asp ).

Does TIVO work with Satellite connections? Are there any combo TIVO/Satellite Receivers?
    http://www.directv.com/about/aboutta...71,357,00.html
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...

Well, DirecTV does have an high-speed internet package also (directpc.com), but satellite internet doesn't get you off the phone grid. Only the downstream feed is from the satellites. The upstream stuff still needs a phone line (there's a modem built into the set-top box).

This is incorrect. The high speed internet access offering available in combination with Dish Network (Used to be called Gilat to Home now called SkyBand, I think) goes through the satellite for both downstream and upstream. There is no phone line involved.

However, this service is generally much more expensive than DSL or Cable modem service and is really intended for those who have no access to traditional broadband service.
    Sorry...the broadband service available with Dish Network is called StarBand, not SkyBand.
    Originally posted by mikegold
    This is incorrect.
    Well, it would be more accurate to say "not entirely accurate". My statement was definitely correct for DirecPC.

The high speed internet access offering available in combination with Dish Network (Used to be called Gilat to Home now called SkyBand, I think) goes through the satellite for both downstream and upstream. There is no phone line involved.

However, this service is generally much more expensive than DSL or Cable modem service and is really intended for those who have no access to traditional broadband service.
    Looked it up. Interesting, but I'd be curious to hear real-world performance stats. 500Kbps downstream and 150 Kbps upstream sounds good on paper, but ~50Kbps upstream typical doesn't sound that impressive.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the advice so far (but feel free to add more comments!)

The internet part isn't that important to me now, but for the record, DirectTV's internet access is satellite download / phone line upload. From what I've read, this isn't that great, since there is a BIG lag in clicking on a link, and actually getting something downloaded.

Dishnetwork has the two-way satellite...still slow, but a step in the right direction.

Microsoft is supposedly working with a company to bring 1.5 - 4 megabit two-way satellite connections within a few years.

Back to my question, though, does ANYONE use dishnetwork? It sounds like DirecTV is the preferred system out there.

Thanks.
    -David Byrne
    Toby,

You are correct...I should have worded that a little better.

Homer,

I've been using Dish Network for the last 2 1/2 years and have had ReplayTV hooked up for almost 2 years now.

I chose Dish over DirecTV for several reasons; at the time Dish was the only one with locals, pricing for the channels I wanted was lower, I didn't really care about the big sports packages (I only watch my local teams), Dish Equipment was more affordable (no rebates when I purchased)and the Dish equipment is software upgradeable (this came into play when they introduced the Dish 500 for the 119 and 110 satellite slots. Dish upgraded the software in the receivers to be able to use the new dish. I believe that DirecTV's new multi-satellite dish requires purchase of new hardware.)

I have been very happy with Dish. Still using my 5000 and 3700 receivers and the ReplayTV makes it all so much better!

What I envy about DirecTV is the choice in equipment. The Sony and RCA receivers are much more compact and now they have receivers with Tivo or Ultimate TV built in. The Dish "Dishplayer" option pales in comparison but since I have two standalone Replays it doesn't really matter too much to me.

I think you'll be happy either way. The feeling of telling the cable company to cancel my account was great.
  9.    #9  
    Mikegold:

Thanks for the info. I wonder why Dishnetwork doesn't have other vendors producing hardware. I agree, the range of products for DirecTV makes it seem like the logical choice...which is probably why they are selling more than DishNetwork.

The software upgradability sounds like a nice feature, too.

Slightly off-topic, can anyone tell me why both of these company's web sites are so awful?
    -David Byrne
    Although Dish Network may be slightly cheaper, I would go for DirecTV, especially with the new UltimateTV units out now.
    BTW, DirecTV has only raised the price on the Total Choice package once since 1994 from $29.99 to $31.99, and have added more than two dozen channels since then. I bet cable can't say that, can they?
    "Life is what you experience between racing games"
    Galley
    I'm planning to get satellite this summer & I'll be going with DirecTV. From user opinions & such they seem to be the better of the two, plus if I want to upgrade from my standalone TiVo to one integrated with a satellite reciever the only one available is for DirecTV. I believe Dish discontinued their own video recorder (Which UltimateTV is an upgraded version of). So if you're serious about getting a PVR then get DirecTV.

Both Sony & Phillips make DirecTiVo boxes which have 35-hours of recording time. Unlike standalone TiVos which compress the broadcast into MPEG the DirecTiVos simply download the already digital satellite stream. If you want to record the antennae channels though, you'll have to get a Standalone (Which hooks up with the reciever through a serial connection). For a great forum like this, but about TiVo, check out http://www.avsforum.com/ubbcgitivo/Ultimate.cgi

Also, FYI, DirecTV will begin its roll out of 2-way satellite this month. It will be offering it as will be its partners: EarthLink, Juno, Pegasus, & AOL. This requires a larger oval dish though. I believe its 400k downstream.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com