1.    #1  
    How come no one's posted about congress's (sp) most recent waste of taxpayer money. Just come out and say 'we give up' and save the time/$.
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    How come no one's posted about congress's (sp) most recent waste of taxpayer money. Just come out and say 'we give up' and save the time/$.
    Well, hey, they're going to get paid anyway. Look at the bright side: better to have them wasting time with "nonbinding resolutions" than trying to enact new laws that serve no earthly purpose other than to prove Congress is actually doing something.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: the first politician who runs on the platform that he/she will propose no new laws but devote his/her time to repealing stupid ones will win my vote.
  3.    #3  
    Ooooh. Ya gotta point there on the first part. What about the detrimental 2nd part?
    They are political cowards - posturing and nothing more. Ben
    It may not be worth MUCH...but at least it's something to indicate how they feel (as a group). Everyone knows that no policitian wants to cut off funding to troops abroad but if they can apply *some political pressure to the Executive branch to start bringining troops home...I think it's worth it.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

If they feel that strongly about it, then they should vote to cut off funding. When they do that, then batten down the hatches 'cause the fighting will be right on your front lawn.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    If they feel that strongly about it, then they should vote to cut off funding. When they do that, then batten down the hatches 'cause the fighting will be right on your front lawn.

Ben
    Cutting off funding completely won't solve the problem and the slippery slope argument is insulting. Are you really trying to say that if we were not in Iraq right now that we would be fighting terrorists in the streets here? Doesnt that assume that the CIA, FBI and Border Patrol would just fade away?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

It also assumes at the jihadis are so busy in gunfights in Iraq and Afghanistan that they cannot afford to buy plane tickets to send 10 guys here for attacks.

One can argue that we could do a better job in keeping them off the streets here if we weren't bogged down in a quagmire.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Given the traditional habits of the Democrat party and its tendency to cut funding in defense/intelligence related areas, what makes you think the CIA, FBI and Border Patrol would be able to do the job now? The CIA is woefully understaffed with real assets. The Border Patrol cannot do the job they are tasked with now and when they do, the court system slams their people into prison with sentences that are longer than the normal murderer gets. The FBI, well when you cannot get the information from over there, how can the FBI do its thing over here effectively? The Democrat Party is wanting to cut many intelligence projects and given the way they do things, well, look at Grandmother Nancy and just take it from there.

Did I over state fighting in the lawn? Sure did; but what is to keep it from ending up here? With us out of Iraq, they have a strong hold that can be fortified and when they get comfy there, they come here - they did it before when we got comfy here under the Clinton administration. It can and very well might happen again.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho View Post
    Cutting off funding completely won't solve the problem and the slippery slope argument is insulting. Are you really trying to say that if we were not in Iraq right now that we would be fighting terrorists in the streets here? Doesnt that assume that the CIA, FBI and Border Patrol would just fade away?
    Bogged down in a quagmire. Amazing. The real quagmire is here in this country with a legislative branch that wants to run the war and has not got the ability or integrity to run the war. Give the military the opportunity to do what they do best, fight without restraints. When the guys in Iraq and Afghanistan get comfy, they will have the time and definitely the money to buy plane tickets and send many more than ten guys here for attacks. Remember, the funding for this comes from the government of Iran and the people of Saudi Arabia.

Empower the terrorists and you run the real risk of more attacks in the west, especially the US. The Canadians will even have to start worrying.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    It also assumes at the jihadis are so busy in gunfights in Iraq and Afghanistan that they cannot afford to buy plane tickets to send 10 guys here for attacks.

One can argue that we could do a better job in keeping them off the streets here if we weren't bogged down in a quagmire.
    Given the traditional habits of the Democrat party and its tendency to cut funding in defense/intelligence related areas, what makes you think the CIA, FBI and Border Patrol would be able to do the job now? The CIA is woefully understaffed with real assets. The Border Patrol cannot do the job they are tasked with now and when they do, the court system slams their people into prison with sentences that are longer than the normal murderer gets. The FBI, well when you cannot get the information from over there, how can the FBI do its thing over here effectively?
    Whose fault is it that the CIA is understaffed? There has been a Republican President in the White House for 7 years (and HOW many years did the GOP have control of the House and Senate??). Are you making the assertion that he has cut their budget and they cannot protect us from terrorist attacks here on American soil? I find that laughable (especially given the fact that they are stopping attacks on a regular basis here in the states). The President proposes his own budget through the OMB. He has LOTS of influence through that process and the threat of a veto. If there is no funding for the CIA, FBI and Border Patrol, I hardly see how you can blame democrats?

The Democrat Party is wanting to cut many intelligence projects and given the way they do things, well, look at Grandmother Nancy and just take it from there.
    Given the fact that our intelligence sources let us down for establishing some foundation for weapons of mass destruction and I can see why they *might see the money spent in better ways. But lets not label every democrat as someone who wants to put our arms down and stand in line to get blown up by an IED.

Did I over state fighting in the lawn? Sure did; but what is to keep it from ending up here?
    At least you can admit it. The fact of the matter is that things are not better (even if 'marginally') over there since the three years lost, billions of dollars spent, 3k+ lives lost and thousands of innocent civilians killed. We cannot control the border and insurgents are flooding in at will. Iraqi's cant protect themselves and cannot develop their own police force. Add to the fact that we have rules of engagement and our guys can't tell who is who.

With us out of Iraq, they have a strong hold that can be fortified and when they get comfy there, they come here - they did it before when we got comfy here under the Clinton administration. It can and very well might happen again.

Ben
    I agree with you there but if there is a limited amount of resources, why not consider applying more resources here in the US to protect our borders and infrastructure? You can't do it all in Iraq (not even talking about Afghanistan and every other continent we have troops on) AND do it well over here.

Bogged down in a quagmire. Amazing. The real quagmire is here in this country with a legislative branch that wants to run the war and has not got the ability or integrity to run the war.
    Actually at this point, I dont think the House wants to run the war, they just want to see it have an end.

Give the military the opportunity to do what they do best, fight without restraints.
    What do you mean? Without rules of engagement and be in violation of international law? Your statement implies that they havent received the equipment they need...and I havent seen much evidence of that (besides the body armor fiasco 2 years ago). You can put as many troops as you want over there but it is not going to make a dent IF you cannot control the borders and you cant stop the supply of explosives/weapons.

When the guys in Iraq and Afghanistan get comfy, they will have the time and definitely the money to buy plane tickets and send many more than ten guys here for attacks. Remember, the funding for this comes from the government of Iran and the people of Saudi Arabia.
    Interesting observation...so the reason we arent doing anything about that is....?

Empower the terrorists and you run the real risk of more attacks in the west, especially the US. The Canadians will even have to start worrying.

Ben
    There already have been attacks (many of which you and I will never hear about.) That 'fear' is already hear. It's time to start addressing it in a much more meaningful way.

BTW-you don't think the 'terrorists' are empowered by the fact that they have sustained and resisted the greatest military power in the world for more than three years and the US hasnt made Iraq any safer from the first day we got there? You don't think they are empowered by the fact that we cant control the borders and cannot stop the flow of weapons into that region?

IMHO the empowerment 'argument' is just an excuse for us to follow the same train of thought, the same illogical course of action all the while never challenging our ideas. WE CAN DO BETTER AND WE MUST.

God Bless the USA. We cannot be afraid to look at what we are doing and asking if we can do it better.