1.    #1  
    How is it that Iraq can seal its borders but the US can't?
    When I read about this, I was thinking that for the following two facts that this is nothing more than a PRPRPR $stunt$:
    • Iraq does not have the man power
    • What good does closing for 72 hours do?

The terrorists just have a bomb making convention at their home town for 2 days and then they are well prepared for coming back when the borders are "opened" again.
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    Maybe all the American soldiers are busy in Iraq closing their borders. Just think how usefully occupied they could be back home.

Surur
    It will be a useless domestic skill until the current or future Pres is willing to take our own border security seriously.
    Controlling the borders in the name of Iraq's national security. Hmm. What a novel idea.

</sarcasm>

But seriously folks. I sat at lunch last week and the table beside me had some people who were business owners and cheerfully chatting about how their illegal alien employees were buying fake Social Security cards for $50 by Echo Park (here in L. A.) and the employers knew the cards are fake and knew where to send their potential employees to get the "right" ID.

Geez. Do you think there's a connection between (a) illegal immigration and (b) employers such as the ones I overheard at lunch?

Disclosure: me. I'm a business owner. Conservative. Econ major in college. Favor the free flow of labor from here to there to everywhere on the theory that it helps the employee to go where the jobs are good, and it helps the employer get employees.

But I also kinda favor not getting blown up.

A rising tide lifts all boats. Does that mean we have to raise all the boats in Latin America and Asia before caring about employees here in the U.S.?
    On a side note:

The U.S. Border Patrol is questioning why the National Football League refused to run one of its recruiting ads in the printed Super Bowl program.

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff's broke the news to a congressional panel last week, saying the NFL rejected the ad "much to my chagrin," The Washington Times reported Wednesday.

Greg Aiello, a spokesman for the NFL, said the decision was made to try to keep the league out of the political arena.

"The ad that the department submitted was specific to Border Patrol and it mentioned terrorism. We were not comfortable with that," Aiello told the Times. "The borders, the immigration debate is a very controversial issue and we were sensitive to any perception we were injecting ourselves into that."
    "We proposed a more generic recruiting ad for the department that didn't highlight the borders, which brings up the immigration issue and the immigration debate. That's controversial," he said.
    Horse hockey!

story
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    When I read about this, I was thinking that for the following two facts that this is nothing more than a PRPRPR $stunt$:
    • Iraq does not have the man power
    • What good does closing for 72 hours do?

The terrorists just have a bomb making convention at their home town for 2 days and then they are well prepared for coming back when the borders are "opened" again.
    Ditto that!
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Ditto that!
    See, Bush is a uniter!
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    People in America have a problem with having heavily armed soldiers run border patrol. I don't get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Ditto that!
    Da, I had to take a screen shot of this.....as this is one of those rare moments that only come along once or twice in a life time....that we agree with each other!
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    People in America have a problem with having heavily armed soldiers run border patrol. I don't get it.
    As the NFL head guy, he can't even talk about it.