1.    #1  
    I'm stumbling my way through HTML to get my page the way I want it. The problem is the ALT="yada yada yada" text doesn't show up when I pass the cursor over the picture/link on my mac, but I've heard that it does on windows machines. The question is why? The document in question is http://24.181.219.126/homepage.html .

Another question: how do I view a page as the html code instead of the pretty picture the rest of the world sees? I figure I could learn a bit just by seeing what HTML code does what when viewed.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    You can view the HTML code of any given webpage by selecting "Source" under the View menu, in Explorer or Navigator.

In my experience, Explorer under Windows pops up ALT text when you rollover an image with this coded. I don't know about Navigator.
    I tried your page on my Mac and didn't get the floating text under either browser, but I'm using 4.5 versions at the moment (too lazy to get the new ones). Navigator loaded the images first and didn't appear to show the ALT text; Explorer did images last and did show the text, in a very, very long box ...

My HTML Complete book says, "Some browsers may also display the ALT= text as a floating message when the visitor places the mouse pointer over the image."
    It also notes that some browsers have problems with a carriage return in the middle of alternate text.

hope that helps.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    ****:

Welcome to the world of multiple browers, not standards.

Each browser (IE and NN) and each browser's version behave differently. On top of that, the browsers differ from platform to platform.

The ALT text displays when you hover over an image on some, and doesn't on others.

Actually, if you want proper 'tool-tips' to appear, you should use the TITLE attribute as in:

a href="img.gif" alt="text describing the image for search engines and readers" title="test describing the image on a mouse-over"
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by homer
    ****:

Welcome to the world of multiple browers, not standards.

Each browser (IE and NN) and each browser's version behave differently. On top of that, the browsers differ from platform to platform.

The ALT text displays when you hover over an image on some, and doesn't on others.

Actually, if you want proper 'tool-tips' to appear, you should use the TITLE attribute as in:

a href="img.gif" alt="text describing the image for search engines and readers" title="test describing the image on a mouse-over"
    thanks homer (yorick, too). Time to screw around with HTML code again for a while.
    -Joshua
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    I'm stumbling my way through HTML to get my page the way I want it. The problem is the ALT="yada yada yada" text doesn't show up when I pass the cursor over the picture/link on my mac, but I've heard that it does on windows machines. The question is why?
    It's a browser specific behavior. It may even be an option you can turn on in your web browser. The real purpose of ALT tags, though, is for browsers that don't show graphics. IOW, it's ALTernate text to describe the IMaGe that you can't see.

The document in question is http://24.181.219.126/homepage.html .
    Couldn't get to that page, BTW. I'm guessing that was your actual IP at the time and not a static server.

Another question: how do I view a page as the html code instead of the pretty picture the rest of the world sees? I figure I could learn a bit just by seeing what HTML code does what when viewed.
    On most Windows/*nix browsers, it's on the "View" menu as "Source", "Page Source", or "Document Source". I'd think there'd be a similar Mac option.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by Toby
    [B]

It's a browser specific behavior. It may even be an option you can turn on in your web browser. The real purpose of ALT tags, though, is for browsers that don't show graphics. IOW, it's ALTernate text to describe the IMaGe that you can't see.

[B]

Couldn't get to that page, BTW. I'm guessing that was your actual IP at the time and not a static server.

On most Windows/*nix browsers, it's on the "View" menu as "Source", "Page Source", or "Document Source". I'd think there'd be a similar Mac option.
    Thanks Toby,
    I got the title tag to do what I wanted, the "address" is my IP address so it's a matter of the computer being on, and I'm now able to view source code.
    -Joshua

Thanks Toby,
    I got the title tag to do what I wanted, the "address" is my IP address so it's a matter of the computer being on, and I'm now able to view source code.
    OMG...those ALT tags are bordering on obscene. I feel sorry for anyone visiting your site with a text-only browser.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by Toby

OMG...those ALT tags are bordering on obscene. I feel sorry for anyone visiting your site with a text-only browser.
    I feel sorry for anyone visiting my site period
    -Joshua

I feel sorry for anyone visiting my site period
    Me too
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  10.    #10  
    Added music.
    -Joshua