1.    #1  
    Is this a deal? Looks pretty good to me...

*No free shipping to California.
  2.    #2  
    Doesn't seem anyone liked this. I really don't like Western Digital drives too much but it seemed cheap, the reviews were pretty good, and since I don't have one, I sprung for it. Anything better out there that might be larger of better quality and cheap?
    I have an 80G drive which I bought from Costco two years ago for $90. It still works.

I think they just had a sale two weeks ago for 120G or 160G but I am not sure what the price was.
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Is this a deal? Looks pretty good to me...

*No free shipping to California.
    But NewEgg's shipping is only like $4.99 anyway for 2/3 day, and in Boston, MA, my NewEgg orders have always arrived early.

Seems like a nice dirive in that you don't need to carry a power supply. It's a little on the small side (capacity wise). NewEgg sells a 60Gb of this for $10 more, but the reviews are less positive on the larger model indicating maybe less reliable. Still it seems like a good deal. I don't carry my extenal drive around due to the size and lack of easy fit in my laptop bag. This would overcome that limitation.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I bought the 120GB version a few weeks ago over at Buy.com for $99 (w/ free shipping). I love the thing. Big storage capacity and very compact. It's like the same exact size as my DS Lite.

Anyways, I just checked Buy.com and they're still selling it for $99 with free shipping. So if you're interested, here's the link...

Western Digital Passport Portable 120GB

Personally, I don't think $60 for a 40GB is a good deal.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by TR30 View Post
    I bought the 120GB version a few weeks ago over at Buy.com for $99 (w/ free shipping). I love the thing. Big storage capacity and very compact. It's like the same exact size as my DS Lite.

Anyways, I just checked Buy.com and they're still selling it for $99 with free shipping. So if you're interested, here's the link...

Western Digital Passport Portable 120GB

Personally, I don't think $60 for a 40GB is a good deal.
    Ouch! Now, that's looks like a good deal. Oh well, it was an impulse buy done without checking. CNet's "Deal of the Day," hm, that will teach me! Darned...

Update:
    And here it is for $94 on Newegg.

Update 2:
    According to the specs the 120 Gig is lighter. Looks like I bought myself an old drive (a real dog). Where is that crying smiley?

Update 3:
    Lots of failures of the 120 GB reported on NewEgg. The 40 GB is presented as tough and shock resistant on both NewEgg and Western Digital sites.
    Last edited by copernicus; 02/05/2007 at 08:39 PM.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    But NewEgg's shipping is only like $4.99 anyway for 2/3 day, and in Boston, MA, my NewEgg orders have always arrived early.

Seems like a nice dirive in that you don't need to carry a power supply. It's a little on the small side (capacity wise). NewEgg sells a 60Gb of this for $10 more, but the reviews are less positive on the larger model indicating maybe less reliable. Still it seems like a good deal. I don't carry my extenal drive around due to the size and lack of easy fit in my laptop bag. This would overcome that limitation.
    Yes, exactly, maybe solid, but a little small, the 60 GB looks like a good compromise. Thanks for the input!
    Last edited by copernicus; 02/05/2007 at 08:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Yes, exactly, maybe solid, but a little small, the 60 GB looks like a good compromise. Thanks for the input!
    Yep, 120 Gb is going to be less reliable. 60Gb is probably the sweet spot.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks all!
  10.    #10  
    FWIW. If you refuse a package from NewEgg they refund you 100% of the price paid (you incur no shipping costs). I ended up with the 80 GB drive for $84 plus shipping and tax after returning the 40 GB. Very nice!
    Nice to know, thanks!