Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Nice link!!! Thanks.
    from the windows supersite:
    UPDATE: I don't yet have Vista Upgrade media to test, but I'm told
    that Microsoft's internal documentation explains how to cleanly
    install Vista using an upgrade version. Here's what it says:

1. Boot with the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD.

2. Click Install Now.

3. Do not enter a product key when prompted.

4. When prompted, select the Vista product edition that you do have.

6. Install Vista normally.

7. Once the installation is complete, restart the DVD-based Setup from
    within Vista. Perform an in-place upgrade.

8. Enter your product key when prompted.

Obviously, this is more of a workaround than anything else, but
    assuming it works, it should solve the clean-installation problem for
    people who purchase an upgrade version of Vista.
    apparently, you need xp on the machine if you want to upgrade.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    apparently, you need xp on the machine if you want to upgrade.
    Yes, officially you do. But thanks to link above from copernicus, check this out:

Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    Nice link!!! Thanks.
    You are welcome Hobbes, glad you liked it.
    I am computer savvy, but, by no means an IT consultant, so my opinions are more from the consumers point of view, rather than some who really knows how the bloated windows code truly works.

I installed it the day it was released. I have a Sony Vaio AR130G, Vista Capable and a recommended upgrade to Vista Home Premium. I almost picked up premium for the little extras, but discovered it was more business end that my two law offices would not benefit from to justify an addition $100.00.

It took nearly three hours to install (it had a problem with the bluetooth stack used by this laptop to use my Kensington Bluetooth Dongle after the initilization, I had to uninstall that before installation could begin, it told me that almost 45 minutes after it started).

Once installed I dealt with the automatic shutdown of some startup programs that Vista now does (none cause any problems). Some programs are active in the system tray, like hotsync, but sometime don't appear when you boot up the laptop, although hotsync began when I pushed the button. Sony had a laundry list of updated Vista drivers available. Some, less important ones (wireless card updated driver was a bad link, but Vista works great with the original driver). The scroll ability of my touch pad got destroyed, I found the old driver, although it told there were known compatibility issues, it is back to normal, allowing me to scroll with ease with Aero.

Now the million dollar question: does it work with my 700p? Yes. I needed to hotsync it three times. First time it wouldn't work. The second time it had a hard time with the calendar and Documents to Go. The third time, everything synchronized without a problem. I could not explain why, but multiple synchronizations fixed the problem

Pdanet. Was totally screwed up after I installed Vista. I uninstalled it, and reinstalled it, and it works great.

Bluetooth is the biggest problem. I tried using a more updated, but not necessarily Vista compatible driver, it would get stuck in the middle of the install. I uninstalled it, and it took out all of my bluetooth abilities in general, dongle or no dongle, it seems. Although not all that necessary, it was nice to be able to go through Pdanet through bluetooth or sync via bluetooth, but I won't miss how unstable those connections were. I have read that there are limited bluetooth abilities in vista, and if you have a bluetooth radio built in to your laptop, it may not even find it with an updated driver or updated bluetooth stack.

It runs a little slower in places and a little faster in others. It takes a little longer to boot up the laptop and a little longer to shutdown. I hope service packs will make it a little faster. It is not a quantum leap in terms of an operating system, but who really expects or wants that much change in a device they are using for productivity. If you can wait until the kinks are worked out, it is probably not a bad idea as it is not that different.
    I have had access to "Vista" before it was called "Vista." I had a Vista Ultimate key, but wasnt going to install it on any of my laptops (2) or myone PC.

But a couple of days ago, I got a new dell lattitude 620 at work.

I install vista on it, as a clean install not an upgrade.

It found all the hardware.

The first thing I did was turn off that pop up that comes up everytime you want to do something.

I tried to install NAV corp 10.1, Got warnned that I shouldnt do it. I didnt because when I did during the beta, I got blue screeened. Symantec has a newer version (they call it 10.2m but really is 10.1.550). It works.

Tried to install GW7.1, looks like it was, but then gave a couple of dll errors during install. Novell doesnt have an update, but says 7.2 should fix it and be out in the next coupld of weeks. rumor has it that if you install outlook 2003/xp it might install correctly.

Installed PalmDesktop. It seems to be working. Palm says that it should work, but quickinstall and some conduits may not. Since my main hotsync PC is my PC, not a problem for me.

Installed PDANet and it works.

I wouldnt suggest ppl do this upgrade unless you purchase a pc in the last couple of months and your device maker will actually sell you a vista cd with drivers for your pc.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  8.    #28  
    okay....it looks like I am going to give it a try sometime in the week or so. I was down at Fry's Electronics today and saw a 200 GB SATA harddrive on sale for $49. So I bought one of those to install a clean copy on it's own drive for when my copy arrives. I have a close contact who has access to MS store, so he is getting the Ultimate edition for me for under $100. I installed the hardrive tonight. When I get a break from work, I will install Vista. I will then share my thoughts, horror stories, coolness factors, etc...

...........Man, I had better go driver hunting!
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 02/09/2007 at 04:38 PM.
    Sounds like you got a good deal on that hard drive. Maybe I'll check it out myself this afternoon.
  10.    #30  
    If it is a drive for you, I would call first as you can imagine it was VERY popular. $49 for a Serial ATA 200 GB harddrive.

Also on an endcap while in the line waiting for an open register they had Mini and Mico SD cards for $1 GB & 2 GB for only $14.99 and $34.99.
    I read that Vista will no longer allow you to install drivers that are not digitally sign whereas XP gave you the option. A lot of companies don't take the time to do this & so those drivers will not load. It doesn't surprise me that a Vaio would have problems upgrading. Sony is notorious for modifying all types of drivers on their hardware.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Forgot to mention that the reason Microsoft is doing this is to control stability issues caused by 3rd party developers.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    Forgot to mention that the reason Microsoft is doing this is to control stability issues caused by 3rd party developers.
    Is that the official reason? I thought they were just doing this so that they could add another layer of contracts and "services" that they can force 3rd party companies to pay for. My bad.
    I picked up a 500gb SATA drive from Microcenter for $59 out the door. It was a price mistake and virtually all stores ran out of stock.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Only the 64 bit version blocks unsigned drivers. That makes more sense.
    There is a hack you can do to enable unsigned drivers as well on Vista x64. I believe one of these hacks is a simple bcdedit command with some parameters.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  17.    #37  
    I am still waiting for my copy of Vista Ultimate....but for the price, it is easy to wait an extra week or so.

Meanwhile, if you are interesting in upgrading to Vista this is a very eye opening link. It is long, but WELL worth the read if you are serious upgrading:

Executive Summary
    Windows Vista includes an extensive reworking of core OS elements in order to provide content protection for so-called “premium content”, typically HD data from Blu-Ray and HD-DVD sources. Providing this protection incurs considerable costs in terms of system performance, system stability, technical support overhead, and hardware and software cost.

-----------------

Executive Executive Summary
    The Vista Content Protection specification could very well constitute the longest suicide note in history

------------------

Disabling of Functionality
    Vista's content protection mechanism only allows protected content to be sent over interfaces that also have content-protection facilities built in. Currently the most common high-end audio output interface is S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface Format). Most newer audio cards, for example, feature TOSlink digital optical output for high-quality sound reproduction, and even the latest crop of motherboards with integrated audio provide at least coax (and often optical) digital output. Since S/PDIF doesn't provide any content protection, Vista requires that it be disabled when playing protected content [Note E]. In other words if you've sunk a pile of money into a high-end audio setup fed from an S/PDIF digital output, you won't be able to use it with protected content. Instead of hearing premium high-definition audio, you get treated to premium high-definition silence.

Say you've just bought Pink Floyd's “The Dark Side of the Moon”, released as a Super Audio CD (SACD) in its 30th anniversary edition in 2003, and you want to play it under Vista (I'm just using SACD as a representative example of protected audio content because it's a well-known technology, in practice Sony has refused to license it for playback on PCs). Since the S/PDIF link to your amplifier/speakers is regarded as insecure for playing the SA content, Vista would disable it, and you'd end up hearing a performance by Marcel Marceau instead of Pink Floyd.

---------------

The same issue that affects graphics cards also goes for high-resolution LCD monitors. One of the big news items at the 2007 Consumer Electronics Show (CES 2007), the world's premier event for consumer high-tech, was Samsung's 19201200 HD-capable 27″ LCD monitor, the Syncmaster 275T, released at a time when everyone else was still shipping 24″ or 25″ monitors as their high-end product [Note F]. The only problem with this amazing HD monitor is that Vista won't display HD content on it because it doesn't consider any of its many input connectors (DVI-D, 15-pin D-Sub, S-Video, and component video, but no HDMI with HDCP) secure enough. So you can do almost anything with this HD monitor except view HD content on it.

-----------------

Final Thoughts
    The only reason I can imagine why Microsoft would put its programmers, device vendors, third-party developers, and ultimately its customers, through this much pain is because once this copy protection is entrenched, Microsoft will completely own the distribution channel...........so Microsoft will totally control the premium-content distribution channel. In fact examples of this Windows content lock-in are already becoming apparent as people move to Vista and find that their legally-purchased content won't play any more under Vista (the example given in the link is particularly scary because the content actually includes a self-destruct after which it won't play any more, so not only do you need to re-purchase your content when you switch from XP to Vista, but you also need to re-purchase it periodically when it expires. In addition since the media rights can't be backed up, if you experience a disk crash you get another opportunity to re- purchase the content all over again). It's obvious why this type of business model makes the pain of pushing content protection onto consumers so worthwhile for Microsoft since it practically constitutes a license to print money.

--------------------

How Effective is it Really?
    In the introduction, I predicted that Vista's content protection, the entire mass of complex and troublesome technology covered in this writeup, would last less than a week once the hackers got hold of it. Sure enough, shortly after Vista's release, it was broken by an individual who was annoyed by the fact that he couldn't play back his legitimately-purchased HD-DVDs on his legitimately-purchased HD-DVD player (technically what he broke was the AACS content protection rather than mounting a direct attack on Vista, but the end result is that premium content under Vista is now unlocked)..............As a result, both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray content can now be decrypted and played without image downgrading or blocking by the OS, and unprotected content is already appearing in the usual locations like BitTorrent streams. The fact that the legally-purchased content wouldn't play on a legally-purchased player because the content protection got in the way was the motivating factor for the crack. The time taken was about a week. As a result, all of the content-protection technology (at least for HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray discs) is rendered useless. All that remains is the burden to the consumer. It lasted all of one week.

---------------------

Other topics include:
    • Indirect Disabling of Functionality
    • Elimination of Open-source Hardware Support
    • Elimination of Unified Drivers
    • Problems with Drivers
    • Denial-of-Service via Driver/Device Revocation

FULL STORY: http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html
    Sooner or later, there will be a BIG backlash over DRM, especially purchased content you're not even allowed to use when you feel like it!!! Even though they have your money!

I may find a Media Center PC and use that instead!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Will it be possible to make Vista die... by keeping on using earlier operating systems for 5 or more years from now? (I have win2000 on my work machine). Will you be able to buy a computer without MS vista? Can you delete it completely and run xp? I was in Office Depot today and every PC I saw had that evil vista sticker on it....

Maybe there will be a black market for non-vista pc's.. sort of like smuggling hi-flush toilets over the border from Canada.

"Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post

Maybe there will be a black market for non-vista pc's.. sort of like smuggling hi-flush toilets over the border from Canada.
    I think they call it Linux or something like that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12