Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    The PLO has embraced a two state solution.
    PLO, schmee-l-o. Hamas is the question... and the answer is, well, it depends on the day. As for aAMB and IJ, I think we all know what their answer is.
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    Didn't mean to suggest the outside forces contributed to the initiation of the conflict. Rather, outside forces can take advantage of the scenario to achieve other goals.
    I bet this idea was entertained in some hallowed hallways, but truly: any detraction from the war in Iraq will defeat the purpose of getting the US forces out or blaming the US for the entire situation.

Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    The PLO has embraced a two state solution.
    Not Hamas, not yet.
    Their claim on Jerusalem
    Why do you focus your interest on Jerusalem? Is it en vogue among US Christians to worry that (East) Jerusalem might one day be part of a future Palestinian state?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup View Post
    Why do you focus your interest on Jerusalem? Is it en vogue among US Christians to worry that (East) Jerusalem might one day be part of a future Palestinian state?
    Most of the US Christians I've come across are not mindful of Jerusalem--east, west or otherwise--in any more profund way than appreciation of the geography in an historic since. There are some US Christians, who believe that there is particular significance to that region, and view events that occur there as "signs of the times." Several of that ilk I've encountered recently are certain that some portion of Jerusalem will be a part of a future Palestinian state. They are not worried about it. In fact, they anticipate it occuring sooner rather than later.

It was actually exposure to such an expectation that prompted me to raise this question amongst our distinguished panel. I usually get perspectives here that help me evaluate ideas.

Regardless of such hypotheses, the goal of a Palestinian state (along side of or instead of an israeli state) is a real one in the region. The quagmire in Iraq seems like the type of circumstance that could be exploited by those of that cause.

Consider, if the sectarian conflict continues, it is reasonable to anticipate escalation. With escalation, there is real possiblity of the conflict extending beyond the borders of Iraq. As such, I would think other nations/kingdoms would monitor the progress, so as to prepare for how the conflict might effect their land.

Also, it seems reasonable that such nations/kingdom are watching the political landscape of the US, and recognizing that waning political will for a on-going campaign would lead to the US seeking a means out. Under such circumstances, brokering "peace" in Iraq could be a valuable service for which the US would pay handsomely (i.e. using it's influence with Israel to move forward the "peace" process).
    Regardless of such hypotheses, the goal of a Palestinian state (along side of or instead of an israeli state) is a real one in the region.
    Just clarifying with you that this statement is on behalf of the Palestinians (assuming it exists), not your own, correct? (Bold letters to pinpoint my question.)
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by impish View Post
    Just clarifying with you that this statement is on behalf of the Palestinians (assuming it exists), not your own, correct? (Bold letters to pinpoint my question.)
    Yes. I believe the Palestinians want statehood. I believe some are open to co-existing with Israel. I believe some are open to Israel's non-existence. It remains to be seen which model will prevail.
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup View Post
    Sorry, but this statement seems unnecessarily petty. Having said that, I do think Jerusalem would be in better hands as part of Israel.
    I think that the news media isn't following the money on this deal. Iran and a lot of regimes in the region get most of their money from the oil. A few years ago, equilibrium between supply and demand was rather tight and worry about disruptions in supply increased the price of oil.

Whenever oil prices would soften a little bit, the leader of Iran would go around saying how he wanted to destroy Israel. He would continue to stoke fears about disruptions in supply.

Peace and stability equal lower oil prices and many of the players don't want that. Those that aren't active aren't quick to stop the chaos.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12