1.    #1  
    After years of watching movies in a 19" TV, I've decided to upgrade to a 27" TV. After buying my PS2, I think I need something like a widescreen TV for DVD movies. Also, I don't want something fancy, I just need good resolution and sound. Any suggestions? Where can I buy it and what brand and model?

Thanks

Al
    I know how you feel. I'm currently using a 13" since my 14 year old NEC decided to hiccup (only works for about 15 minutes at a time. ).

A decent 27" can be found for under $600. I haven't found a 27" widescreen. Most of the widescreens are 32" or larger, and expect a price tag over $1600 (The cheapest I've found so far has been $1795).

On the bright side, Toshiba has a 40" widescreen rear projection unit that's digital ready for $2500 (can't remember the model # though). It's not a bad price for what you get, but I haven't been able to check one out locally yet.
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
    also try
    http://www.consumerreports.org/
    They have extensive information on TV's
    I can't think of any widescreen TVs. Since you have a PS2 I'd suggest getting a normal 4:3 TV anyhow because most games aren't designed for Widescreen yet.

I own a 27" Wega from Sony, I got the V series. It has component inputs for the PS2, Widscreen Enhancement, good speakers, and a totally flat screen. I got the guy at Sears to give it to me for $700, only because the other guy at a local electronics store misquoted it $100 cheaper and the Sears guy said he'd still match it (Even though the local guy wouldn't now).

Its an excellent TV. If you're considering getting a nice TV you should also consider a TiVo if you don't already have one, get a Wega and Sony makes a nice TiVo thats design coordinated.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    unless you're a big video buff, you probably won't need high end products like Sony's Wega which can cost a bundle.

i just picked up a 31" Sanyo from Wal-Mart for $369 (regular price). the 31" is 32% larger than the 27" (461 sq in vs. 350 sq in).

yeah, i wrote that ...
    If your lucky enough to live next to one, check out Fry's. They have the Best Deals. We got a 80" Mitsubishi for only $2950 It used to sell other places for $8999, Couldn't pass up a deal like that. Also if you live in California next to Sunnyvale, the store there (last time I checked) has a 60" on sale right now, I know thats a lot bigger than 27 but, hey, as they say "It's good to be big."
    <FONT face="verdana,arial,helvetica" size="1" >NetCaptor and Odigo Rule!<i></font>
    "The Internet is now on computers?"
    Homer Simpson
    Why dont you buy a FUNI. I hear they are really cheap and good for T.P.T!

.....Seriously though....how long do you plan on keeping this TV? Are you looking for something that will last 5/10 years or are you looking for a disposable set 3/6 years?

If you want something that will last check out the Sony Vega sets and the Proton brand. They all make great TV's that will provide years of quality picture. I have one of the first Sony Vega 36" XBR sets and I get so many comments on how clear the picture is. Works very well with PS2 and my DVD. Plus it has features such as component in, things you wont find on your RCA's or Sanyo's.

If you want something that will last only a few years then buy yourself a copy of Consumer Reports and get what they recommend. Consumer Reports are geared toward the average consumer with "American" tastes.

MY 2
    - josh

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=4&g=11420&s=0
  8.    #8  
    Thanks to all for your comments, I think I've found two candidates:

1. Panasonic CT-27SX10 27" TV on JNR, it is really nice it has a flat screen and silver case. It is 500.

2 Sony VEGA 27" TV. Also, nice with a flat screen and silver case.

Now, I'm really undecided. Both look great but I'll have to make a decision.

The price I want to pay is 400~500 and yes I want it to last at least 8~10 years. I want quality image.

Al
    FYI it is spelled Wega, with a W as opposed to a V. It is however ponounced like a V. If you check out Sony's product page you can also find out that its named after the brightest star in the Lyra constellation.

I would say that if you want a TV thats going to last 8-10 years then you might as well hold off until 27" Widescreen TVs come out. I bought my Wega in the mindset that it would last about 5 years, and after that I can make it my secondary TV. HDTV may not be here yet but it will be in the next 5 years, and then you're TV won't be 27" anymore.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    Originally posted by Matthew Nichols
    HDTV may not be here yet but it will be in the next 5 years, and then you're TV won't be 27" anymore.
    Who wants to wait 5 years to watch TV though? My father tried to tell me this same thing. If you want the TV, then get it now, don't wait for the new tech in 5 years, cause in another 5 years there will be even newer tech.

BEN
    acajigas wrote:

1. Panasonic CT-27SX10 27" TV on JNR, it is really nice it has a flat screen and silver case. It is 500.
    You might want to look around a bit more. I just picked up a Panasonic 32" at Sears a couple of weeks ago for the same price.

Panasonic makes a good set. Other than the picture being a bit reddish (something that can be fixed with adjustment), I really like the picture quality.
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
    Originally posted by BEN

Who wants to wait 5 years to watch TV though? My father tried to tell me this same thing. If you want the TV, then get it now, don't wait for the new tech in 5 years, cause in another 5 years there will be even newer tech.

BEN
    Yeah, but he wants his TV to last ten years. What I suggest is buy an okay TV for now & then come five years buy the nice TV he wants. And TVs don't come out with "newer tech" as often as the computer industry, most advancements such as TiVos, VCRs, & DVD players are outside the television. Sure, we might see comb filters and such but thats not on the same level as moving to a WIDER screen with more lines of resolution.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    one "danger" about buying a larger TV is that ... once you buy a large TV, you can never go back to a smaller TV.

yeah, i wrote that ...
    Originally posted by namja
    one "danger" about buying a larger TV is that ... once you buy a large TV, you can never go back to a smaller TV.
    I can attest to that. I never watch TV on anything larger than my visor to avoid this downward spiral into bigger and more vibrant TV's.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.