Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs View Post
    First, if the petition was being hosted on an Environmentalist website, I would have directed you there.
    fair enough
    My point was to allow people to sign the petition. Second, yes, the jury did hear both sides and several of them came out afterward and said they felt pressure to bring back a guilty verdict.
    sorry I guess I need to read up on it more. I will when I have more time. At any rate I would be interested in what you think of the Weller article in the future, if you have a chance to read it.
    Well, in my mind that would bring up a whole slew of new questions. If there were “several” other units there, as the reports state, then the cover up would be far more widespread. In that case, why are these two agents the only one’s being charged and prosecuted? On the other hand, if several other agents were there but not charged with obstruction then how could these two agents have concocted a story that would contradict what every other unit there witnessed?

But, as I said before, these agents obviously made mistakes. I am wondering, though, why two border patrol agents who picked up spent shells and failed to report a shooting get 10 years and a guy who walks out of the National Archives with documents in his socks gets a fine and probation? Okay, two different situations, but you get my point.
    My first guess would be the level of mens rea.

If you intentionally lie and willfully act to conspire where you shoot someone in the back, then I think that might be different than 'accidently' (obviously that is what he says) picking up documents you didnt have permission to remove.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    To "accidentally" stuff documents in your socks and walk out the door with them?

You gotta love it. I can't wait to see how effective pelosi's push for "the most ethical congress" will be... (cough - tunagate- cough) but that is for another thread.

at any rate, something is fishy about this border patrol case...
    I gotta have more cowbell
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho View Post
    My first guess would be the level of mens rea.

If you intentionally lie and willfully act to conspire where you shoot someone in the back, then I think that might be different than 'accidently' (obviously that is what he says) picking up documents you didnt have permission to remove.
    Then again, it depends on the contents of the document. If there was something in those documents that would show that certain individuals were complicit in events that lead to the U.S. being unable to stop the death of 3,000 people then the comparison would be fair. But, of course, we'll never know.
    I haven't followed this case and have not read this article, but I this thread was going so I thought it might be interest:

Bush Considering Pardon for Border Agents Convicted of Shooting Mexican Drug Runner
  6.    #26  
    Ex-Border Patrol Agent Beaten in Prison

Gee, I couldn't see that one coming.
    Ex-Border Patrol Agent Beaten in Prison

Gee, I couldn't see that one coming.
    Assault and rape are systemic problems that affect the people in prison you are sympathetic for as well as those you are not. Its too bad so many of us just turn a blind eye to it.

http://www.slate.com/id/2089095/
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12