Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    I wish him the best of health!
    The South Dakota senator, 59, suffered from bleeding in the brain caused by a congenital malformation.
    Democrats hold a fragile 51-49 margin in the new Senate that convenes Jan. 4. If Johnson leaves the Senate, the Republican governor of South Dakota could appoint a Republican to fill the remaining two years of Johnson's term keeping the Senate in GOP hands with Vice President **** Cheney's tie-breaking power.
  2. #2  
    Apparently, he doesn't have to resign, even if he's incapacitated. So unless he dies, the worst that could happen for Democrats, I figure, is that they'd be up 50-49 in actual voting (where you have to show up).
  3. #3  
    New rules should be written so a Republican Governor can't appoint another Republican. This should be the new rule until the shoe is on the other foot.

    Quote Originally Posted by impish View Post
    I wish him the best of health!
    The South Dakota senator, 59, suffered from bleeding in the brain caused by a congenital malformation.
    Democrats hold a fragile 51-49 margin in the new Senate that convenes Jan. 4. If Johnson leaves the Senate, the Republican governor of South Dakota could appoint a Republican to fill the remaining two years of Johnson's term keeping the Senate in GOP hands with Vice President **** Cheney's tie-breaking power.
  4. #4  
    It would be nice if people would just have some sympathy for him and his family, instead of bringing politics into this. He could be on the brink of death and people are already wondering who can benefit, and his body isn't even cold! This speculation is all over the cable news too.

    I'm a Democrat, by the way.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    It would be nice if people would just have some sympathy for him and his family...
    (My first words in my original post were.....?)
    Of course his health is the most important thing! But if an issue has national (and international) ramifications it is important to talk about it. One can pray for someone's health and care about his/her country at the same time.
  6. #6  
    I dislike most Republicans in office with a passion. BUT before the man has even passed on, if he even does, people want to talk about who will get the spoils.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    It would be nice if people would just have some sympathy for him and his family, instead of bringing politics into this. He could be on the brink of death and people are already wondering who can benefit, and his body isn't even cold! This speculation is all over the cable news too.
    You're taking political correctness to a silly level. If I meet any member of his family, I'll certainly share my sincere sympathies, but I don't see the point in sharing such sentiments on a message board that they'll never read.

    As for the speculation, his fate will have significant implications for everyone in this country. Taxation, social security, immigration, national security, healthcare, the economy, etc. All important issues.

    I don't share your taboos.

    I'm a Democrat, by the way.
    Clearly.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    You're taking political correctness to a silly level. If I meet any member of his family, I'll certainly share my sincere sympathies, but I don't see the point in sharing such sentiments on a message board that they'll never read.

    As for the speculation, his fate will have significant implications for everyone in this country. Taxation, social security, immigration, national security, healthcare, the economy, etc. All important issues.
    I totally agree.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    You're taking political correctness to a silly level. If I meet any member of his family, I'll certainly share my sincere sympathies, but I don't see the point in sharing such sentiments on a message board that they'll never read.

    As for the speculation, his fate will have significant implications for everyone in this country. Taxation, social security, immigration, national security, healthcare, the economy, etc. All important issues.

    I don't share your taboos.

    Clearly.
    Some of you people really suck IMO!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  10. #10  
    I hope the Senator's family isn't on this board because they'd probably be really offended at how negative you're being at a time like this. We should focus on the things that really mattered to the Senator, like control of Congress.

    And btw, 7000 people died in the US today. Be sure not to do anything at all that distracts from paying respects to those 7000 people and their families.
  11. #11  
    Maybe that should've been imHo instead of imo.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Some of you people really suck IMO!!
    Senator Johnson today seems to be responding to touch and sound, its encouraging I guess but in any case they are saying he is still very critical and if he makes it, there will probably be a long recovery. It makes you realize how fragile life is doesn't it?

    Anyway Phone Diva, I agree with you - talking about the spoils of someone's death, then offering to share "sincere" sympathies to a family member in the same breath sounds pretty shallow to me too. You might try using the ignore function - it works pretty good (even though it does not supress quotes, unfortunately).
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    Anyway Phone Diva, I agree with you - talking about the spoils of someone's death, then offering to share "sincere" sympathies to a family member in the same breath sounds pretty shallow to me too.
    You realize that this post was, far and foremost: To wish the senator a speedy recovery.
    In fact, any speculations mentioned in my original post did not mention death, but it was made to point out an odd and twisted political ramifications based on someone's illness. If we can't coherently discuss issues of great importance not to upset anyone it would be counterproductive. People in this country criticize the war in Iraq while soldiers get injured and die there. Could you imagine not being able to criticize or talk about something of such relevance because it would be unfair to the injured or dead soldiers and their families?
    It reminds me of Israel's PM Sharon's stroke. Some people refused to listen to radio and TV shows that speculated the political future of Israel because the PM was battling for his life. The painful truth is that when speculations involve lawmakers, PMs, king/queens or presidents the citizens debate them out of deep concern for their leaders' health and the health of their country.
    One CAN give the deepest and most sincere wishes for speedy recovery while being concerned about the outcomes of the illness.
    Last edited by impish; 12/15/2006 at 08:38 PM.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    Anyway Phone Diva, I agree with you - talking about the spoils of someone's death, then offering to share "sincere" sympathies to a family member in the same breath sounds pretty shallow to me too. You might try using the ignore function - it works pretty good (even though it does not supress quotes, unfortunately).
    A few thoughts...

    cell complained that I was insulting her by calling her a hypocrite, although I provided evidence. Now she's insulting me.

    cell promised to ignore me, but keeps breaking that promise.

    cell continues to mischaracterize my statements. That'll never change. It's just a pattern of making baseless attacks, and taking offense at any response.

    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    I dont giddily contemplate the positive repurcussions of people's deaths whether they are troops politicians or anyone else with the possible exception of Sadaam Hussain.
    Note that this is the only example in this thread of anyone giddily contemplating a person's death. See my first point.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by impish View Post
    You realize that this post was, far and foremost: To wish the senator a speedy recovery.
    In fact, any speculations mentioned in my original post did not mention death, but it was made to point out an odd and twisted political ramifications based on someone's illness. If we can't coherently discuss issues of great importance not to upset anyone it would be counterproductive. People in this country criticize the war in Iraq while soldiers get injured and die there. Could you imagine not being able to criticize or talk about something of such relevance because it would be unfair to the injured or dead soldiers and their families?
    It reminds me of Israel's PM Sharon's stroke. Some people refused to listen to radio and TV shows that speculated the political future of Israel because the PM was battling for his life. The painful truth is that when speculations involve lawmakers, PMs, king/queens or presidents the citizens debate them out of deep concern for their leaders' health and the health of their country.
    One CAN give the deepest and most sincere wishes for speedy recovery while being concerned about the outcomes of the illness.
    I appreciate your comments impish. I know you started the thread based on your wishes for Senator Johnson's recovery.One can be primarliy concerned about recovery of another from death and one can be primarily concerned about benefits one can receive from the prospects of another's death. Although each thought shares the same word "concern", they are nonetheless entirely different sentiments.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    I appreciate your comments impish. I know you started the thread based on your wishes for Senator Johnson's recovery.One can be primarliy concerned about recovery of another from death and one can be primarily concerned about benefits one can receive from the prospects of another's death. Although each thought shares the same word "concern", they are nonetheless entirely different sentiments.
    False dichotomy to rationalize false outrage.

    I haven't seen anyone in this thread primarily concerned about the benefits that could be received from another's death. The closest thing to that is cell's now-deleted remark about Saddam.
  17. #17  
    Tim Johnson's tragedy is a reminder for me of the spirit of the Christmas holidays in remembering and helping others, especially those who are less fortunate than ourselves. I would like to wish everyone a very happy holiday season whatever your religion, and success and health in the new year!
    Best wishes,
    Cell.

    http://washingtonmo.com/christmas/index2.htm
  18. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #18  
    Ouch, that shoe does not fit very well on the other foot does it.

    This thread reminds me of so much of the politics that were thrown around during Katrina, and just about every story of death that comes out of Iraq, the Foley issues and any other oppurtunity to use a disaster, war or possible harm to others in an attempt to berate the current adminstration. How soon we forget .

    For those that are upset about individuals speaking of the possibility that the SD Gov will have to name a replacement if Sen. Johnson is unable to fulfill his term would you rather the Govt wait until the next election (2 years away) to continue to govern? Yes, we all hope and pray for a full and speedy recovery, however reality must be faced, there is a very real possibility that he will not be able to continue to serve our nation. It is in our (the entire nations) best interest to be proactive instead of reactive.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio View Post
    Ouch, that shoe does not fit very well on the other foot does it.

    This thread reminds me of so much of the politics that were thrown around during Katrina, and just about every story of death that comes out of Iraq, the Foley issues and any other oppurtunity to use a disaster, war or possible harm to others in an attempt to berate the current adminstration. How soon we forget .
    Its time to hope for new and better things in the new year and to be thankful for what we have.

    Perhaps I am too liberal and have a tendency to put off or avoid wars more than most but I do hope next year we do not have to worry about our troops dying in a poorly thought out war. I hope that the stink that many of us advocating for peace in this past year made in at least some small part contribute to a greater hope for quicker end of the Iraq war.

    Perhaps I am too liberal and think too quickly about wanting to help those least able to help themselves, but I do hope that next year if we have a major natural disaster, we can respond much better than we did with Katrina. I hope that the criticism that we made after the Katrina disaster contributed towards improving the response system.

    Perhaps I am too liberal and think that those in the least positions of economic or social power need the most protection of all from abuse. Next year I hope that less young people will have to be abused by people in power.

    So if I am on the wrong side of all of these issues, then I am sorry to upset you, and it is not out of hate for President Bush that I bring these issues up.
    I don't hate you or SamKim either, although I do sometimes get obnoxious and if someone unfairly attacks me, I do sometimes get caught up in the response, and I know I have done that to you and especially SamKim, and I feel bad for that. At any rate another resolution of mine is to be kinder to others here on the forum. Please help me to keep that promise cardio. And SamKim, if you can let bygones be bygones, I would like to do that too.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio View Post
    For those that are upset about individuals speaking of the possibility that the SD Gov will have to name a replacement if Sen. Johnson is unable to fulfill his term would you rather the Govt wait until the next election (2 years away) to continue to govern? Yes, we all hope and pray for a full and speedy recovery, however reality must be faced, there is a very real possibility that he will not be able to continue to serve our nation. It is in our (the entire nations) best interest to be proactive instead of reactive.
    I think South Dakota Governer Rounds showed a lot of class when asked about Johnson's replacement saying "he declined to address the topic, denouncing the inquiries as premature and beyond impolite". Anyway, I do not plan to address this issue any further nor begrudge anyone what they want to say. I realize I have been guilty in this regard and also somewhat obnoxious to boot.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions