Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Well yes, but we shouldn't put the cartwright behind the horse, or however the saying goes.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    The horse is a male and was the "top" so pregnancy was not at issue.

The guy died as the result of massive internal bleeding.
    What if the poor guy was raped? What if the horse is perverted serial killer stallion and the man an innocent victim? Did anybody investigate in that direction?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    Cool. I want to restrain the efforts of people who restrain efforts.
    For those of you who are Terry Pratchett fans remember the names of the Carter family, the parents named all their daughters after virtues (Hope, Chastity, Faith etc) and all their sons after vices (Bestiality, Anger, Gluttony). Bestiality Carter was very kind to animals, Chastity ended up as a lady of negotiable virtue.
    Animo et Fide
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Cool. I want to restrain the efforts of people who restrain efforts.
    Can I sign you up for my national campaign against driving speed limits?
    Yeah, but I am starting by restraining my efforts to restrain those who ... Well, you get the idea ..
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    What do you think of movies depicting murder and rape?
    Excellent point. I like arguments that highlight the arbitrary nature of people's values.

This reminds me of the Ally McBeal episode where an attorney points out society's hypocrisy of looking down on strippers but looking up to actresses who simulate sex in R-rated movies.

It's also like opposing ploygamy but supporting gay marriage. Or approving of blowing up a terrorist's car with a missile, but objecting to holding that terrorist in a cold room.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Or approving of blowing up a terrorist's car with a missile, but objecting to holding that terrorist in a cold room.
    Ive kept out of these threads for a while, but what the hell, I'm bored.

I'll like to add my own example. Its like apposing the assassination of a head of state while still being in favour of invading the same country and killing thousands of its soldiers.

Surur
    Excellent point. I like arguments that highlight the arbitrary nature of people's values.
    Arbitrary? Or, Subjective?
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Ive kept out of these threads for a while, but what the hell, I'm bored.

I'll like to add my own example. Its like apposing the assassination of a head of state while still being in favour of invading the same country and killing thousands of its soldiers.

Surur
    Welcome back to OT.

I agree about the contradiction. But note that the US tried to assassinate Saddam under the cover of war before the invasion, in order to avoid war.
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    Arbitrary? Or, Subjective?
    I think arbitrary is the right word. Internally inconsistent. Achieved not through a deliberate, logical process, but by influence from family, friends, role models, the media.
    but objecting to holding that <American> in a cold room.
    yup, not your words. but just in case it hasn't sunk in yet, we uphold those standards so our innocent soldiers are not subjected to such treatment. Remember when our spy plane crash landed in China? Those involved were 'well treated', in communist-anti-human-rights China, and I have no doubt it had much to do with the perception that the US would do the same in the reverse situation.

sorry for crapping, but he started it I will contribute that i've heard more than once that the depiction of torture as a necessary means on the show '24' has had a negative effect on people's understanding of our stance against it. But I won't be calling for a ban of that show, I just don't watch it.
    They could have tried harder. On the other hand, they never did get Castro

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    yup, not your words. but just in case it hasn't sunk in yet, we uphold those standards so our innocent soldiers are not subjected to such treatment. Remember when our spy plane crash landed in China? Those involved were 'well treated', in communist-anti-human-rights China, and I have no doubt it had much to do with the perception that the US would do the same in the reverse situation.
    I understand why we have the Geneva Conventions, and I think we should ensure that we comply with them. Abu Ghraib was wrong.

But if we have a situation where the Geneva Conventions don't apply and many lives are at stake, I wouldn't want to limit our options.

sorry for crapping, but he started it I will contribute that i've heard more than once that the depiction of torture as a necessary means on the show '24' has had a negative effect on people's understanding of our stance against it. But I won't be calling for a ban of that show, I just don't watch it.
    24 is great entertainment, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    They could have tried harder. On the other hand, they never did get Castro

Surur
    They could have tried harder if we didn't have an official ban on assassinations!
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post

Your Chinese friends have no problems torturing Jack Bauer:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123