Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I updated my Sony laptop to IE7 last week and had to uninstall it today because if I get more than 6 tabs open, the PC is sluggish untill after a restart. Is it just my pc?
    No more cute face photos?

IE7 probably uses a lot of memory. I haven't upgraded yet due to the warning of "back up everything and turn off your aniti-virus" and also the reboot requirement. These things make me think IE7 can take over your machine, LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I actually like it. I haven't notice any lag and I have had more than 6 tabs open often.
    at&t iPhone3G
  4.    #4  
    IE7 was pretty nice,,,,,, maybe I just dont have enough program memory. When things get slow I do a control alt delete to see what is running and taking all the power but all it says is 80 cpu system idle, 15 cpu IE,,,, how do I check if my memory is maxed out. I checked the c drive for storage memory but it only 3/4th full.

LadyTreo waddya mean,,,,,, Is'nt my little sugar bugger cute........ My tribute to Perry
    I'm surprised no one has said this yet; use Firefox instead.
    Glad you got rid of the groundhog, James!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Glad you got rid of the groundhog, James!
    Is that what that was? I google'd image "buddah" and all I got was that groundhog,,,,,, he was so cute I couldnt pass him up.

Im trying firefox now,,,,,
    Global Posts
    761 Global Posts
    it is internet explorer afterall, lol...expect sluggishness
    blake!

Sprint Centro
  9.    #10  
    I get the same problem with firefox......

Does anyone know how to check to see if its a RAM issue,,,,, if that's what its called. You know,,,, "running program memory space"?
    Firefox leaks memory and still never seems to fix the problem. That's the one drawback with them. Looks like IE7 copied Firefox, LOL! Big surprise!

I think more memory is in order. I'm going to upgrade my memory too, everything wants so much memory to operate now!

CTRL+ALT+DELETE will pop up a screen that will show you all your processes running as well as how much memory is being sucked up. Just remember that if you hold them down for too long, the computer will restart.

I used to be a FireFox fanatic, however, there were times when certain pictures or links wouldn't open, but when I downloaded and used IE7, they do work! I'm now an IE convert!

..Handspring...\..........Palm.........\.........Palm........\.........Palm......\.....Motorola.....
    .VisorDeluxe.../............Vx.........../........M-100......./......Treo650.../.......Droid........
  12.    #13  
    Thanks for the help. I have pulled up the task manager (control alt delete) to see what's pulling all my CPU but the only prog running is IE. Of course not everything shows in a task manager right?. If it is a lack of program memory I wish I could just confirm that by looking at available space versus "in use" space. I know a ton about PPC and Palm but not to much about desktops.
    Look under "processes" tab to see all that's really running. Then look under "performance" tab to see how much memory is being sucked.

How much RAM do you have in your system?
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    I've had a similar problem with IE7 tabs. Certain websites (e.g. CNET news) in the tabs suck up all the memory ("Windows running low on virtual memory") and I have to exit and restart. I have 1GB RAM, but our IT folks said that IE7 tabs is not yet stable and do not recommend using it yet. And they don't let me install Firefox
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
  16.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercoffee1 View Post
    How much RAM do you have in your system?
    Im not sure. Could you look at the attached pic and tell me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  17.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Look under "processes" tab to see all that's really running. Then look under "performance" tab to see how much memory is being sucked.
    Thanks LT, I dont totally understand the info under those tabs.

I am starting to think this is a video driver issue. I have been getting choppy video for a month now. I have never had to many windows open until IE7 because its easy to have multiple tabs open. I have an W98 with the XP upgrade. I think a prog overwrote me video driver. Even the flash graphics on sites is choppy. Maybe that is what is slowing the PC. I uninstalled adobe flash player then had 12 pages open with no slowdowns. Is there any way to find out if this is the issue?
    Last edited by jamespaulritter; 12/01/2006 at 11:20 AM.
    James - it looks like you have about 192 Megs of Physical RAM. I'd say for Windows XP, it really starts to choke with less than 256Megs of RAM whenever you start to run multiple processes. I ran with 512M for some time, and it ran fine except for when we did a lot of photo editing. Now at 1Gig RAM, it runs great.

The other time I've had slowdowns in XP (on another computer) was when I upgraded from:
    1) Windows 98SE to,
    2) Windows XP to,
    3) Windows XP Service Pack (SP) 2 via Windows update.
    Because I did these three over a few years, we ended up accumulating all of this crap on the computer in between updates, thus I don't think the update went as cleanly as it should have.
    I've recently reformatted that second computer and just did a clean install straight from the Windows XP update CD (which prompts you to insert the Windows 98 CD during the install as proof of ownership of a previous OS), and then immediately installed the Service Pack 2. Then, I immediately updated to IE7; and it runs great with no slowdowns whatsoever. BTW, that particular computer has 512M of RAM, and a 1.4 Ghz processor.
    Last edited by mistercoffee1; 12/01/2006 at 12:26 PM.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    Yeah, it's usually recommended 512 and up for XP to run efficiently. I will be upgrading memory soon myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast