Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercoffee1 View Post
    James - it looks like you have about 192 Megs of Physical RAM. I'd say for Windows XP, it really starts to choke with less than 256Megs of RAM whenever you start to run multiple processes. I ran with 512M for some time, and it ran fine except for when we did a lot of photo editing. Now at 1Gig RAM, it runs great.

The other time I've had slowdowns in XP (on another computer) was when I upgraded from:
    1) Windows 98SE to,
    2) Windows XP to,
    3) Windows XP Service Pack (SP) 2 via Windows update.
    Because I did these three over a few years, we ended up accumulating all of this crap on the computer in between updates, thus I don't think the update went as cleanly as it should have.
    I've recently reformatted that second computer and just did a clean install straight from the Windows XP update CD (which prompts you to insert the Windows 98 CD during the install as proof of ownership of a previous OS), and then immediately installed the Service Pack 2. Then, I immediately updated to IE7; and it runs great with no slowdowns whatsoever. BTW, that particular computer has 512M of RAM, and a 1.4 Ghz processor.
    I snapped a pic while the PC was frozen. Could you let me know if it gives any clues? I dont understand why the task manager says I have 196 megs but it says at thing point I was using 227???? Is that right?

Im going to uninstall that adobe flash player again and see if it helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The physical memory on your machine is very low for an XP machine. Also you're taxing your CPU at 94%. IE7 is probably not a light application. Install at least 512 and see what happens.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesRitter View Post
    I snapped a pic while the PC was frozen. Could you let me know if it gives any clues? I dont understand why the task manager says I have 196 megs but it says at thing point I was using 227???? Is that right?

Im going to uninstall that adobe flash player again and see if it helps.
    James,
    The thing that reads "227" is the Pagefile/Swapfile. That's basically the amount of memory being allocated to your Hard Drive. What happens with Windows is once your physical RAM is occupied, then everything else spills over into the Pagefile/Swapfile on your harddrive. The Pagefile can be dynamic or static depending on how you or Windows XP sets it. If your the amount of usage exceeds the Pagefile, Windows will give you a "Low Virtual Memory" message, and then increase the size of the Pagefile.

In any event - get yourself at least 512 for XP if you want to run more than one application without slowdown.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    Or even 1GB if he can swing it! I have 512 and it's becoming inadequate. Everything wants more RAM!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5.    #25  
    Thanks for the info. I guess I will stop by the local used/new/repair PC shop and ask about pricing on upgrading the RAM. While I have you computer gurus here....... could you please tel me how I can get the right video driver for this Sony vaio pcg-z505S wndows 98 running xp?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12