Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    PS3, Wii or Xbox 360? I would think the Wii, but what do you all think? PS3 seems too advanced, but it looks like a very good system with a lot of features. Still for $600 and limited availabilty(I guess this is supposed to be the premium gaming system of 2007), will it be too much for a new gamer to handle(who is also over 30)? The Wii looks smaller and simpler. I didn't take a good look at the Xbox yet.

Thanks for any suggestions!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    360. I can't recommend something that sounds like a trip to the potty and the psone/2/3 hasn't really done it for me. I'm 41 and I like xbox's. ymmv
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the suggestion! I only looked at the Wii because it didn't seem as intense as the PS3(a bit intimidating, LOL!). The Xbox is barely getting any press now because of the other 2 coming out soon.

Time to do more research on the Xbox.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4.    #4  
    Wii is being marketed as "for the masses", including older gamers. So is it between the Wii and the Xbox 360?

The Wii was made for new, but somewhat older gamers.

The Nintendo marketers realized that the consoles were ignoring large segments of the population (women and older adults), so they designed the system to appeal to people who haven't been playing video games all their lives, people who don't intuitively know that you steer with your left thumb and shoot and jump with your right thumb.

The Wii controller is like a wand, and is supposed to be super easy and intuitive to use. Nintendo is also making an effort to release non-traditional games that appeal to the new folks. Whether the Wii lives up to the hype remains to be seen, but so far, the reviews have been very positive.

The Wii and its games are also much cheaper than the other systems. But it doesn't have a built-in DVD player, and its graphics are supposed to be less impressive than the others.
  6.    #6  
    Yeah the PS3 is more impressive, but if I pay $600, I would like to be able to actually use it without getting frustrated. We will see. Plus I may wait till next year, looks like PS3 is going to sell out this year anyway. The Wii is supposed to release more units. The Xbox 360 is a year old, is there a newer model coming next year?

I think gameplay is the most important factor, not graphics. For that reason, I'm favoring the Wii.

There are specific reasons to get a 360 or PS3: certain exclusive games (such as Halo, or various sports franchises), really impressive graphics, and multimedia capabilities like downloading movies, or playing DVDs (or Blu-Ray disks for Sony). And they'll both probably get TiVo-like capability and integrate with your PC eventually.

Wii is primarily a game machine.

There won't be a new generation XBox, if that's what you're asking. If anything, they might make some modifications - hard drive, maybe an HD-DVD drive.
    The games for the Xbox & PS3 derive from the previous generation of games. I think for anyone who considers themselves 'new' gamers, the majority of these titles may frustrate & bore those who play them. That's what they do to me, anyway.

My suggestion is survey the software available and get your system based on that title (for instance, I picked up a DS just to get Mario Kart). If you absolutely must pick one out, the Wii sounds like it may be the best fit.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    There won't be a new generation XBox, if that's what you're asking. If anything, they might make some modifications - hard drive, maybe an HD-DVD drive.
    Is this it?

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/12/i...ve-with-video/

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Good timing!

That's an add-on peripheral. I wouldn't be surprised to see a version of the 360 eventually with HD-DVD built-in in place of the DVD player.
    I kind of phased myself out of video games over that the last few years. With that said, I would have to go with PS3 if I were to go back. That Wii thing with people waving their arms and things just seems a little strange.
  12.    #12  
    I think those ads might be exaggerted for fun. It might also have to do with the way the motion sensor is set up. I'm guessing the on-screen action is supposed to mimic your movements?

The PS3 is obviously more sophisticated. I'm still considering it but I wonder if a premium gaming system is worth it? I hear they're supposed to release some feature in December. Plus the cost of the games. I saw the extra cables people might need are about $100. This could end up being close to a $1K system with all the stuff you might need to buy along with it.

I used to play Sega games, but haven't played any game(of any type) in over 10 years. So it's like I'm a newbie all over again. Man, I'm out of the loop, LOL!

13.    #13  
    The Xbox may be releasing an 80GB hard drive for the new download service. Although when you add the probable cost of that along with the price of the HD-DVD player, looks like the PS3 could be the way to go if you're going into that price range. Although you then need to ask how popular Blu-Ray will be.

14.    #14  
    I've decided on either the Xbox 360 or the PS3. I'm still looking for suggestions. Looks like Xbox may be updating next year, bigger hard drive and black option. Although it's a rumor based on a survey they sent out, I hope there's something to it.

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    The ps3 is $600, and is not much (if any better) than the far cheaper xbox360. The Wii doesnt support Hi-Rez, so if you have a flat panel, do not get the Wii.

Its all about the games though, get the system that plays the games you like.
  16.    #16  
    True, but the Xbox add-ons make the price add up to the same as the PS3. It's $400 for the system, then $200 for the HD DVD player for one thing. Some other additions make the price go even higher. Which defeats the purpose of buying a lower cost system. I'm tempted to get the PS3, but I fear there will be more bad press for it. Tough choice.

wait till actual reviews come out for the PS3 and Wii. I'd certainly wait till they've both been out for a few months or at least weeks and people have had a proper chance to use them all. The games line-up for the PS3 in't great at launch but may be better soon.
    Animo et Fide
    I am 36 and I love playing games with my son. His favorite is Gamecube. I prefer the controller of the Xbox. But we both agree that the WII looks like a lot of fun. All reviews that I have read in several magazines and online share a similar story.....was a little aprehensive....got the hang of all the basic moves with the motion sensitive controllers within 5 minutes or so.....was dreading putting it down.

Here is a pretty review of it:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2058427,00.asp

As far as graphics, I have little doubt that with vast storage capabilities that the PS3 will have due to BlueRay, that the graphics will be superior.....but as mentioned with a price. Here are some screen shots of games on WII:

Zelda:

Call of Duty 3:

Madden 07:

Super Mario Galaxy:

Here is the most complete list of WII screen shots that I have seen:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119261
    I'm not gonna get a PS3 until I see games I wanna play on the shelves, like Metal Gear Solid, GTA, or Resident Evil. Unless I get a 1080p HDTV, I may have the urge to get the PS3 sooner.

I'll be getting the Wii at launch day mainly because it's cheaper and it's different from the other consoles (ie. motion sensor controllers). Plus, I've always been a Mario fan, so I can't wait for Super Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Bros Brawl to come out.

I didn't get the Xbox 360 because my company bought one and I play with it during lunch and after work. Gears of War is pretty sweet.

Right now, I do most of my gaming on the PC. With a Core 2 Extreme CPU OC'ed at 4.0 Ghz combined with a GeForce 8800 GTX graphic card, Battlefield 2 on max video settings plays super smooth and looks freakin' sweet on a 24" monitor.
    I also play a lot of games over the SOHO network with my kids (I'm 52....them 10-16). To my mind, consoles are pale imitations of PC based games. Console gaming is fun however when they have their friends over and all wanna sit in the same room......or for something to do on a long trip by plugging it into the van or SUV's DVD systems.

I play on a Core Duo laptop with 512 MB vid card and 1920 x 1200 screen and 5.1 sound.....the kids all have 3+ Ghz machines with 256 MB or better cards. The only console that can match that experience graphics wise is the PS3 with it's HDTV resolutions.

Another thing about the PC's is that you can plug just about anything into them. For example, my son is training for a pilot's license and the throttle / stick accessories are so lifelike that even the US armed forces are using them for pilot training.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast