Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    The integrity of the democratic system is at stake.

If the R's are not punished for their incompetency, corruption (seen how the # of lobbyists has ballooned in the last 6 years?), scandals, pork, propensity to spend the next generation's $, running the government from the extreme, not the middle, then the lawmakers will (rightfully) think that they can get away with anything.
    Now its the democrats turn to do the same. Hoorah for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps View Post
    Which is why I hope to live to see a third party some day. The whole system is corrupt and the people have long lost their voice thanks to PACs and lobbyist. Policy is not made by representation of the people - it comes to the highest bidder of that party in power. So you are right, the Dems will have their moral lapses too. But this whole election comes down to the lesser of the evils and clearly we are as divided as ever as to who is evil-er.
    Does anyone have a list of the top 10 Pork Barrell makers?

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by hdtv4me2 View Post
    Which is why I hope to live to see a third party some day. The whole system is corrupt and the people have long lost their voice thanks to PACs and lobbyist. Policy is not made by representation of the people - it comes to the highest bidder of that party in power. So you are right, the Dems will have their moral lapses too. But this whole election comes down to the lesser of the evils and clearly we are as divided as ever as to who is evil-er.
    I don't know that a third party will be of particular value. The U.S. Constitution does not account for parties. It accounts for states' representatives. We have watched the system devolve into one that has party representatives.

As a resident of Maryland, my expectation is that my representatives will represent Maryland's interest in matters of federal concern...not the concerns of a social/political organization of which s/he is a member.
    And that is the way it should be, our representatives should work in the spirit of the majority he/she represent.

However, not the case here in Hawaii. A few years ago this state overwhelmingly (yes, overwhelming) went anti-gay marriage; our Federal representatives though do not support the wishes of the people - they voted against the Marriage Protection Act. There are just so many examples here and throughout the country that show how frequently our representatives quickly fall in line with the party instead of staying in line with the people.

If it were left in the hands of the people, many of the changes we are seeing today would never happen, which is a different story line.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    I don't know that a third party will be of particular value. The U.S. Constitution does not account for parties. It accounts for states' representatives. We have watched the system devolve into one that has party representatives.

As a resident of Maryland, my expectation is that my representatives will represent Maryland's interest in matters of federal concern...not the concerns of a social/political organization of which s/he is a member.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever View Post
    There is only one issue in this election that will matter five or ten years from now, and that's the War on Terror.
    That is the problem with the current powers that be. Broad, meaningless, generalizations, that take complex issues and reduce them down to one line slogans.

No more.

The world is a complex place and it's time to start addressing America's role in it with a little more complexity.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hdtv4me View Post
    "I was characterizing your statements. If I build a shoe and you say it fits, well, that's your business."

Precisely why it is so hard talking to ringwinged nut jobs - its OK to "characterize" whenever you see fit and then you'll pile on and snivel whenever I do the same. For the record, the shoe does not fit at all.

Why is it everytime someone disagrees with your view they are automatically called a "ringwinged nut job or right wing nut job"? Is your tin-foil hat is on just a little too tight?
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post

How about no political parties? Everybody should be an indepandent. This way candidates would vote the way they feel, not the way their party tells them.
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio View Post
    Why is it everytime someone disagrees with your view they are automatically called a "ringwinged nut job or right wing nut job"? Is your tin-foil hat is on just a little too tight?
    You have to admit, 1911 is certainly hard right.
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    How about no political parties? Everybody should be an indepandent. This way candidates would vote the way they feel, not the way their party tells them.
    I think the correct classification is NPA (No Party Affilate). Just saying.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    You have to admit, 1911 is certainly hard right.
    It is not just 1911, and even if it was, why the constant attempt to insult?
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I prefer to call it "The War Against Terror".
    < < Edit by sep: Vulgarity > >
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12